Mig-21MF Iraqui reference colors...????

The time of painting coming close day by day and I still not have Idea about my Mig-21 subject......at the beginning I was thinking about a heavy weathered Bulgarian MF, but I couldn't find pics of it or color profile ( in case I will be happy to find if you have ). Instead I found an actractive subject from Iraqui, in particular the following one......I scanned pic from "Osprey Arabic Mi19 and Mig 21 units in combat" book and the other view from courtesy of www.aci.org website ( I hope not violating copyright )

Mig-21_MF_IRAK.jpg

iraf_mig-21mf_681_002.jpg

just because I have a question: Does some one know colors reference for this airplane??

The time of painting coming close day by day and I still not have Idea about my Mig-21 subject......at the beginning I was thinking about a heavy weathered Bulgarian MF, but I couldn't find pics of it or color profile ( in case I will be happy to find if you have ). Instead I found an actractive subject from Iraqui, in particular the following one......I scanned pic from "Osprey Arabic Mi19 and Mig 21 units in combat" book and the other view from courtesy of www.aci.org website ( I hope not violating copyright )

Mig-21_MF_IRAK.jpg

iraf_mig-21mf_681_002.jpg

just because I have a question: Does some one know colors reference for this airplane??

That is actually pretty nice. Unfortunately, my 1/72 KP kit with Iraqi box art, did NOT come with Iraqi decals.

I don't know about the colors, but it shouldn't be too hard to get in the ballpark.

I want to second what Karl H said about the Linden Hill Iraqi Fighters book and the new decal sheet. However, if you just want to do a MiG-21MF in Iraqi markings, Hi-Decal makes a sheet in 1/72 (72011). Sorry, I'm not sure about 1/48 or 1/32 sheets for Iraqi MiG-21MF's.

Thank you for answer,

I have decasl from he box (Trumpeter 1/32) just markings on the wings and "number" side of fuselage, my only problem is about the colors reference....sand and green but.....what?

Thank you for answer,

I have decasl from he box (Trumpeter 1/32) just markings on the wings and "number" side of fuselage, my only problem is about the colors reference....sand and green but.....what?

Looks like Sand & Spinach... there was a build on Aerei Modellismo featuring just that airplane. Let me get to my garage and I'll try to dig it up.

Looks like Sand & Spinach... there was a build on Aerei Modellismo featuring just that airplane. Let me get to my garage and I'll try to dig it up.

Grazie paesà,

if you will find it I will be glad, because I still didn't find any pics about......I am in doubt about the colors reference.

Ciao

You may need to "eyeball" the colors. When I don't have solid references, I spend a evening mixing, in various ratios, two or three colors that appear to my eye to be close to the final colors. It's a bit tedious but satisfying.

Found it, but this is really weird...

In the article, they mention the colours as two browns (Dark Earth 30118 - Gunze Sangyo H72 + 20% Black and Brown 30219 - Gunze Sangyo H310 + 10% White) whereas the pictures show the darker colour as an unmistakeable Dark Green. The centerspread has a colour drawing by Michele Marsan about the same plane, but this time the colours are listed as "Yellow 33690" and "Dark Green 34064" with a Pale Blue 35200 underneath.

These photos from Flickr show that the colours were Sand and Dark Green indeed:

Link

Link

Link

Lift Here makes a decal sheet for Yugoslavian Fishbeds, some of which are ex-Iraqi and retained the camouflage. The FS equivalents for the paint are listed on the instructions - which I don't have. Still, I think if you use RAF Middle Stone 30226 and Dark Green 34079, you won't be too far off.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by Bonehammer73
hiya

the scheme isn't symmetrical on the wings;

the standard sand & spinach camo is more in line with this pattern, as seen on Angolan example:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/mig21biscw_1.htm

Iraqi mig-21, did have some variation, ill try to post some pics later if wanted

Thank you indeed, the scheme on the pics of Iraqi is the reasons why I like very much this "681" airplane......I don't like the standard sand&spinach scheme, do you think what I scanned is totally by fantasy?

You may need to "eyeball" the colors. When I don't have solid references, I spend a evening mixing, in various ratios, two or three colors that appear to my eye to be close to the final colors. It's a bit tedious but satisfying.

Thank you, of corse it will be my final approach in case.......I did the same for F-16 NASWC aggressor.....beautiful thrill.

Found it, but this is really weird...

In the article, they mention the colours as two browns (Dark Earth 30118 - Gunze Sangyo H72 + 20% Black and Brown 30219 - Gunze Sangyo H310 + 10% White) whereas the pictures show the darker colour as an unmistakeable Dark Green. The centerspread has a colour drawing by Michele Marsan about the same plane, but this time the colours are listed as "Yellow 33690" and "Dark Green 34064" with a Pale Blue 35200 underneath.

These photos from Flickr show that the colours were Sand and Dark Green indeed:

Link

Link

Link

Lift Here makes a decal sheet for Yugoslavian Fishbeds, some of which are ex-Iraqi and retained the camouflage. The FS equivalents for the paint are listed on the instructions - which I don't have. Still, I think if you use RAF Middle Stone 30226 and Dark Green 34079, you won't be too far off.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thank you very much, you giving me the most interesting references at the moment, I will go deeply in the sand & green camo......ciao

If anyone have more please dont' esitate....I always looking for informations about the scheme I like.

Edited by starflyer

I was able to look at my copy of Iraqi Fighters this evening. FWIW, it appears that most (but not all) Iraqi MiG-21MF's did not carry roundels on the upper surfaces of the wings. Camoflage colors are listed as sand and olive drab for the topside and light blue for underside. The photos certainly show various levels of fading and there doesn't seem to be a lot uniformity in the camoflage patterns. There are patterns which appear to be applied in the Soviet Union and others which look more like the Egyptian "tiger" stripes.

Enjoy your build!

here are the pics i promised - i tend not to trust profiles, unless they have pics to back them up..as they are often guesstimates...though not noted as such by the authors :crying2:

28013mc.jpg

14llpic.jpg

1z3ausi.jpg

290x63s.jpg

357ej5z.jpg

as for wing roundels...there is variation...some have 1 roundel on left wing/both wings/ none on wings

Edited by Raymond
  • 3 years later...

The Iraqi AF used the GORKY/GORKI scheme on their MF`s.The same scheme as the czech AF but with different colors.That is the export SOVIET MIG-21 camo.The bis ware with the gorky scheme and with another one as shown on this migs that ware overhauled in Yugoslavia but ware left there due to the embargo

113930_95264648_MiG21%20Iracki2.jpg

113930_95264648_MiG21%20Iracki.jpg

65492_176932959_019.JPG

65492_176932959_020.JPG

65492_176932959_103.JPG

65178_83766124_image0196.jpg

123381_327553327_AirForces-Monthly-mart2010-str78.jpg

123381_327553327_AirForces-Monthly-mart2010-str79.jpg

154453_65810448_5f8811.jpg

154453_164526127_7.jpg

Be aware that I've not found a single photo of an Iraqi MiG-21 that had insignias on the wings. Not a single one. Lots of profile art and decal sheets show them that way, but not a single photo. If someone has one, I'd love to see it.

Be aware that I've not found a single photo of an Iraqi MiG-21 that had insignias on the wings. Not a single one. Lots of profile art and decal sheets show them that way, but not a single photo. If someone has one, I'd love to see it.

I think the second phot in post #15 of this thread shows them (I think)...

The Iraqi MIG-21 BIS and MF`S did not carried roundels on the upper side of the wings.Only on the undersides.

Second photo in post #15 sure looks like it has them. I'm not very good at my MiG-21 recce though. Can anyone tell me whether that is a BIS or MF?

Gabe