Need help with which A10 to buy...

Hey all, just thought i'd get everyones feedback as to which 1/72 A10 to buy from my lhs. I was in a few days ago and they had an academy one, a hobbyboss, an airfix, a hasegawa, a tamiya and a couple of different italeri ones. Now price wise the hobbyboss was $16, the academy $20, the airfix was $40ish, the hasegawa was about $35 and the italeri ones and the tamiya were between $30 and $50.

Based on price but also quality which one do you guys think would be the one to go for. Out of the cheapest 2 I preferred academy to hobbyboss. As for the others I know well enough to stay away from the tamiya. Also for an extra little bit if I went to 1/48 which brand would be the go? My lhs can easily get hasegawa, tamiya, italeri, academy and a few other brands so which one would be best? Thanks in advance for all your input.

Cheers guys and gals...

In 1/72, go for Italeri, Academy, ( the Revell/Germany one is a reboxed Italeri, I think )

The Airfix is not good, don't think the Hasegawa one is either. Tamiya in 1/72 is also a reboxed Italeri.

HobbyBoss is not worth getting.

In 1/48, I'd choose Monogram, then maybe Tamiya ( own brand ) then HobbyBoss and Italeri.

Monogram is supposed to the best one here. Tamiya is one of the very early models.

Regards,

Gerard

HB hands down (really decent or good fit in most - but not all- areas), unless you can't live with a few minor foibles. Then (in descending order) I guess the RM version, then Italeri, then Tamiya. Order from Lucky or EricYY and save $.

Theses prices are pure horror! What is that in perspective to the Euro? An Academy A-10 costs about 7 Euro here in germany, which would be someting around 5 or 6 US-$...

HAJO

Theses prices are pure horror! What is that in perspective to the Euro? An Academy A-10 costs about 7 Euro here in germany, which would be someting around 5 or 6 US-$...

Huh?... €7 is about 9 - 10 USD.

Then again, the original poster is probably quoting prices in New Zealand dollars, since that where he's from...

Cheers,

Andre

In 1/48, I'd choose Monogram, then maybe Tamiya ( own brand ) then HobbyBoss and Italeri.

Monogram is supposed to the best one here. Tamiya is one of the very early models.

Regards,

Gerard

I can only speak about 1/48th kits: detail wise guys would stick to Hobbyboss kits, wich,among other things, offer a GAU-8 gun miniature. The kit is really a Trumpeter A-10 shrunk down, with corrected lines, decent cockpit and fit, recessed lines, nice selection of weapons and bigger price tags. Italeri's would be the next choice, its the usually sharp Italeri molding, recessed panel lines, with simplified (decals) cockpit and a couple of mistakes derived from poor researching. The kit is essentially an enlarged 1/72nd kit, considered by some the best one in braille scale.

Revellogram kit is also nice, has a decent cockpit (better than Hobbyboss and Italeri), a good selection of weapons (but no double rail Sidewinder launcher), raised, acurate and petite lines and, depending of your kit, average to atrocious fit (MINE!). It's usually the cheapest option also, unless someone is trying to rip you off. Tamiya's is the oldest one of the bunch and should be avoided, given the other choices.

Personally, I loved building the HB kit, liked Italeri's one and given up on RM kit because of the fit, using its pit in Italeri's

Thanks for all the info, im thinking for the extra little bit of cash I might get the hobbyboss 1/48 if my lhs has one (i don't remember seeing one but i'll look again). And yes prices are in NZ dollars which at the moment are about US$0.56 to NZ$1.

Have had a look online but by the time you include shipping to NZ it usually cheaper to get one ordered through a LHS over here. We have a very meager selection of LHS over here, in all of auckland (1.3 million people) only 3 decent ones (there was another one but it closed).

HAJO

Uops, good thing I´m not a banker... I would have ruined my company. Ehm, wait a moment... ;)

HAJO

On the hobbyboss kit, does it comes with weapons? And the cockpit is it detailed? As for the academy kit, is this kit a "new" kit same series and lines as the New F-16CJ/CG and F/A-18C? Or is it the same issue as the old 1/72 F-15E, F-14A?

HB in 1/72: No weapons, no cockpit details, no gear details. But excellent fit.

Academy in 1/72: Older kit (don´t know the other mentionend Academy-kits), but good fit, full weapon-load, good details.

HAJO