Fireball Modelworks AH-1S (Mod) Conversion Set

Ok, so I'm going to do this. When will it be available?

Whenever I get finished with the molding and the instructions and have several sets ready for shipment. I have to get off this project and on to other subjects :thumbsup:

Speaking of instructions: instead of a huge set of paper instructions, they will be a PDF and included on CD-R. This will allow me to keep the cost down a little bit more if I don't have to print the instructions.

Thats freaking awesome, makes me put my hands on a cobra model.

I wish very deeply that one day fireball modelworks will release a 1:35 UH-1H cockpit conversion kit, that would be so great.

Nice conversion kit, very sharp and rich in details. Congratulations.

sal001

Joseph,

I've been watching this thread for a few days but couldn't post from work. I must say, absolutely fantastic kit you've produced here! <_< That has to be the nicest resin cockpit (particularly the seats) I've seen yet. You have raised the bar for resin production sir. :cheers: I'm looking forward to seeing the "J" doghouse / powerpack as I'm working on the 48th scale Iranian TOW Cobra. You have definitely created some future possibilities here.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Ken

Floyd,

Just wondering if you / Joseph have given any thought to coming out with a resin G model? I'd love to see you do something similar to what you did with the Monogram 1/48th AH-1F. Replace the old raised panel line fuselage with a resin one, add in some resin details (ideally with an awesome cockpit set like the one shown above) and throw in a nice decal sheet. I'm interested in the upcoming AH-1S kit but I would really love to get my hands on a decent G model. If nothing else, just for the huge variety of colorful markings that would be available.

Either that or just go completely hard core and release a complete G kit in 1/35th.

Any interest :woot.gif: ?

John

Floyd,

Just wondering if you / Joseph have given any thought to coming out with a resin G model? I'd love to see you do something similar to what you did with the Monogram 1/48th AH-1F. Replace the old raised panel line fuselage with a resin one, add in some resin details (ideally with an awesome cockpit set like the one shown above) and throw in a nice decal sheet. I'm interested in the upcoming AH-1S kit but I would really love to get my hands on a decent G model. If nothing else, just for the huge variety of colorful markings that would be available.

Either that or just go completely hard core and release a complete G kit in 1/35th.

Any interest :rofl: ?

John

The resin kit would totally be up to Joseph. I'm just a builder on this one, okay maybe a consult too. I have contacts that I've used for the AH-1F that can do the spin casting, but it ain't cheap and a 1/32nd scale kit will cost a lot. Personally I would rather have the whole kit cast as I hate having to deal with that engine panel and some missing panel lines, notably the rear engine doors, and then adding the resin pieces. While they fit fine they do take time to get correct. If it was cast already then it is just a "normal" model fix.

I plan on doing a G in 1/35th after the AH-1F, but that is still a far off dream that will take time to develop. It will probably be a modular parts breakdown though. I still haven't figured out if it will be like a Classic Airframes kit, plastic parts, resin cockpit and detail stuff, and some photo etch parts or an all plastic kit. I've got time.

Floyd

Floyd,

Any interest :) ?

John

I'll go on record saying that 1/35 sucks-- when working in 1/35 I have to use a calculator to do all the conversion math. My Cobra parts will always be 1/32 scale. By the time I get done with the AH-1G, it will be a whole new kit. It'll trace its roots back to the Revell kit, but all the details will be corrected and the construction will be broken down into more logical subassemblies. Cost of a kit like this will not be cheap, but the time to build it will be less than converting the Revell kit. Not to mention the dwindling supply of Revell kits to use as a base for the conversion-- this may drive up the prices of the old kit to the point where you'll pay more for a styrene kit plus conversion that you would for a complete resin kit.

I'll go on record saying that 1/35 sucks-- when working in 1/35 I have to use a calculator to do all the conversion math. My Cobra parts will always be 1/32 scale. By the time I get done with the AH-1G, it will be a whole new kit. It'll trace its roots back to the Revell kit, but all the details will be corrected and the construction will be broken down into more logical subassemblies. Cost of a kit like this will not be cheap, but the time to build it will be less than converting the Revell kit. Not to mention the dwindling supply of Revell kits to use as a base for the conversion-- this may drive up the prices of the old kit to the point where you'll pay more for a styrene kit plus conversion that you would for a complete resin kit.

True, so true.

The only reason I want a 1/35th scale kit of the AH-1F is to compare and contrast with my Kiowa Warrior of the same scale. Someday my grandkids, when I have them, can say "Granddad flew this one" right before they break them up into little pieces. LOL

Hey you know I'm onboard for an AH-1G in 1/32nd scale. I think I make that pretty clear. LOL Sign me up for another one. I still have a Playboy to do (hence the TAT-102 turret and new clear nose piece coming out) and I still have to rebuild another Cindy Ann now that mine is gone. LOL I love your work and make no bones about it being some of the best stuff going.

Floyd

Some in progress shots. I think the green on the front seat is too green. I will go back in and make it more olive.

Fit is great and obviously it looks really nice when painted up.

Floyd

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

It looks great so far. Nice job on the painting. Can't wait to see the instrument panel with the decals in place.

I was always curious, is it any more challenging to fly a Cobra from the front seat with those cut down side stick & collective? The front office kinda reminds me of an F-16 cockpit.

Edited by 11bee

Here are the instrument panels. The decals were punched out with a Waldron Punch set and set individually. The Micro Krystal Clear isn't quite dry yet, but you get the idea. You can even see the limitation markings on the engine gauges. He (Joseph) ain't right I tell you. LOL

Great stuff from him. More to come in the next couple of days which should finish up the cockpit. Then it is time to wait on more stuff. LOL

Floyd

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

This thing looks amazing! Since I'm not that "up" on army cobra's, is this the kit for a Desert Storm Cobra. for all those that say the blocks and users of F-16's are difficult, try and follow Army cobra's. :cheers: Since I'm way to confused to name a variant, and don't want to look like an idiot, are there any plans to do a DS Army Cobra?

Crash

BTW I'd deffinately be in for a AH-1J. Now that's a Cobra I can talk about!

It looks great so far. Nice job on the painting. Can't wait to see the instrument panel with the decals in place.

I was always curious, is it any more challenging to fly a Cobra from the front seat with those cut down side stick & collective? The front office kinda reminds me of an F-16 cockpit.

Yes it is more challenging from the front. Shorter cyclic is a little stiffer because you don't have the leverage (rear seat has a 4:1 advantage IIRC). Your wrist can get a little stiff on long flights but the view and shooting makes other things stiff so it more than makes up for it.

Yes it is more challenging from the front. Shorter cyclic is a little stiffer because you don't have the leverage (rear seat has a 4:1 advantage IIRC). Your wrist can get a little stiff on long flights but the view and shooting makes other things stiff so it more than makes up for it.

I don't quite know what that last part means, but I'm sure it's not appropriate for the family hour :thumbsup: Randy has provided some key references that will make the AH-1J model the most detailed and accurate available in 1/32. Randy built a 1:1 scale AH-1J, so he ought to know :) Dave Roof has some new 1/32 Zuni pods-- I smell a MARHUK build.

Floyd's done a great job with the AH-1S(Mod) interior parts-- I need to feed him some exterior parts now. Overall, the only parts that haven't been finalized are the rotor head details and the tail fin. If Mother Nature would quit blowing things down in my yard, I could spend some time on this model!

Edited by Joseph Osborn
If Mother Nature would quit blowing things down in my yard, I could spend some time on this model!

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed playing in the storms Sunday night at work. We had trees and lines down everywhere...

Back on topic: This is very very cool. I think you are having an effect on Ebay too. A couple weeks ago I got a 32nd Cobra for 9.99 plus shipping. Now they are going for $15-35. Validation that people are anticipating the release?

I have a couple kits ready to play with all of your mods and Floyd's stuff too. Can't wait.

Joseph,

Super effort on this conversion set. As you can see by this thread,

I speak for many when I say this conversion has been a long time coming.

A big thank you for taking the time and effort to put this set together for

commercial sale.

I will look forward to this thread with great interest.

Floyd; keep up the good work, and thanks for putting this on-line.

I find most of my modelling info, one way or another, from ARC.

Sincerely,

Mark

I have to say that I always enjoyed flying from the front seat. It was like sitting in an easy chair with a beer bottle in your left hand and the remote control in your right. I found it easy to fly from there. Maybe not as easy as the back seat but certainly not hard.

Floyd

Since I'm not that "up" on army cobra's, is this the kit for a Desert Storm Cobra. for all those that say the blocks and users of F-16's are difficult, try and follow Army cobra's. :mellow: Since I'm way to confused to name a variant, and don't want to look like an idiot, are there any plans to do a DS Army Cobra?

No this is not the Desert Storm version. You want an AH-1F. I believe that all the ECAS and Prods had been phased out. I saw some ECAS in the desert but they had been turned in for some F models. We turned our Prods in prior to deployment. I helped pick five of them up from Corpus Christi.

Floyd

Nice job Joseph & Foyd. That cockpit looks great. I really hope you consider release some resin replacement cockpits for some of the other 1/35th scale helos out there. The AH-1S pit you did is simply the best looking resin work I have seen.

John