Fireball Modelworks AH-1S (Mod) Conversion Set

• 1 month later...

Alrighty, gents; the AH-1S(Mod) parts are in production. Here's a rundown of what's involved:

This is the interior that Floyd has shown already:

Interior.jpg

Next up is the major external parts that will be grafted onto the Revell fuselage:

MajorExternal.jpg

Here are the optional external pieces (on the left) and some other smaller external parts and the tail rotor:

External.jpg

The skids. The unfaired cross-tube version. The faired crosstube version for AH-1G and other early variants is forthcoming.

Skids.jpg

Here are the parts that really make a HueyCobra into a TOWCobra:

TOW.jpg

And here's a familiar-looking vacuum-formed canopy and the two frets of photoetched parts:

VacPE.jpg

After laying out all the parts, it doesn't seem like it should have taken this long to make them! I've been working off and on since the Spring of '07. Maybe earlier-- I don't really remember. I started the process around 1982, though.

You may notice the lack of rocket pods for the inner pylons. That's because I currently have four different pods that can be used on the AH-1S(Mod) and I can't afford to include all of them in the set. They will be available separately.

Decals are still in the works. There aren't a lot of options, but I'm working on some neat stuff:

profiles.jpg

Well, that's the status. Release date is still TBA depending on the decals and the instructions. I have started the instructions but it's fair to say it will take a while to finish them. There will be 12 copies of the set initially and the cost will be $75, which includes shipping in the USA.

Thanks for looking,

Joseph

I will order one as soon as you give the go ahead that they are ready to go. Looks absolutely fantastic!

edit: I wonder if a set of Kaman blades will ever pop up........not to add work to anyone or anything. :cheers:

Edited by BrittMac

Wow, Joseph and Floyd...................what can I say except you guys are amazing!!!

That upgrade is stunning to say the least. Joseph, are the tailrotor blades the same as a Bell 412?? They look very similar

I think you know where I am going with this one...8^) Anything that will help towards my Revell Bell 412 conversion I am looking for.

Floyd you have really done Josephs work justice! Great stuff.

Cheers

Anthony

Having a hard time finding the kit. Got one at HL, saving it for the G model upgrade. Any sightings out there?

Have $$$ will pay :bandhead2:

In my best Hans Solo voice, "Hey its me". Just email me. I think I have extras, might be the older Revell boxing but I'm pretty sure I can hook a brother up.

Floyd

May I remove the moderator hat for a moment?....

HOLY SH*T! Look at that set! You really out did yourself with this conversion set, Joseph! Gotta check the couch cushions and under my car seat, I know there some loose change there....

Seriously, that is some fantastic work!

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore
In my best Hans Solo voice, "Hey its me". Just email me. I think I have extras, might be the older Revell boxing but I'm pretty sure I can hook a brother up.

Floyd

Couple years back I bought a box of 10 kits of the one with markings from the 11 ACR called "Voo Doo Child". I have six of them left. If Floyd can't fix you up just contact me.

Chris M

aka Chief Snake

I love this hobby, Thanks Floyd, Chief Snake. Went to Kings today and was informed that it was OOP. I have no excuses now :salute::banana: :)

To answer the recent questions,

Isaac: the only thing I've noticed on the Israeli version is the funny antenna or light fairing at the end of the tail cap. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look to hard to make from a little bit of styrene and some putty.

Anthony: the tail rotor is the same as used on the 212 and 412

If Floyd would quit foolin' around with his little German fighters, maybe he'll show an update on his build. I am building the second set of castings for the instructions. Here are some pics of the fuselage all closed up:

JO120805Medium.jpg

Here you can see the photoetched cooler intake with the photoetched mesh behind it and the resin antenna bucket installed in the tailboom.

JO120806Medium.jpg

This is the front end with the new resin chin piece in place. The chin piece forms a shelf to rest the cockpit tub:

JO120807Medium.jpg

This way you can close up the fuselage without having to install the cockpit and risk damage while most of the seam-filling and rescribing is being done.

For those who want to build this conversion kit, I'm gonna tell you right now-- get a good razor saw. I bought a new Zona saw last night and it's like night and day difference between my old X-acto saws and the Zona. I have to find another couple of kits myself. The last one I have in the box is an original issue and I don't want to build that one for sentimental reasons :) Any of the versions of this kit will work with the conversion set-- all the new parts in the recent issues are replaced by resin anyway :banana:

To answer the recent questions,

Isaac: the only thing I've noticed on the Israeli version is the funny antenna or light fairing at the end of the tail cap. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look to hard to make from a little bit of styrene and some putty.

What about the chaff/flare dispensers on the left tailboom side?

Isaac

• 2 weeks later...
Did the IAF put them on the older models? I know they were on the F models, along with a lot of other countermeasure equipment.

Joseph,

All of them have now the chaff/flares(exept the ex US ones at the flight school).

The other add ons,like laser/radar warning bumps or others-depends on type,or maintenance

schedule.Take a look(in case you didn't) at Airl.net or MyAviation.net.

As of note-IAF discontinued the use of all the rocket pods as ineffective and as a weight saving.

Isaac

Edited by iaf-man

I spent much of the first day rescribing the panel lines. I still haven't decided what I want to do with the tailboom.

smallIMG_5521.jpg

Many holes were opened up and there certainly wasn't much of the kit plastic left when I was done.

smallIMG_5520.jpg

I dreaded having to add the FM antennna panel under the belly but it really wasn't an issue and fit very well. I decided not to add the avionics hole in the belly but instead I have a P-47 inlet filter that will fit on the outside just fine. I'll add that after filling the seams.

smallIMG_5527.jpg

There are some things that even Joseph can't supply and this is one of them, the Environmental Control Unit (ECU) inlet. Here I've made the rough cut. I'll add some backing behind it with some large channel cut to shape. You can also notice the new panel lines for the upper doghouse. By far the hardest lines to scribe are the aft engine compartments which are not existent on the model.

smallIMG_5530.jpg

Now here is this piece. It don't look like much now...

smallIMG_5531.jpg

but after you turn it over and add the front piece and bend it a little bit to shape. An oil cooler inlet.

smallIMG_5532.jpg

Remember I do not have instructions so I may be out of order on this thing but it is moving right along. I may even be able to close up the fuselage this week. I already know that I added the back of the cockpit too soon but I'll just have to work around it.

I have to say that this is THE BEST constructed conversion I've done in some time. I love it so far. Stay tuned.

Floyd

Awesome!!!

Here are a couple of shots of IAF Vipers from today:

http://uploaded.fresh.co.il/2009/06/22/61956661.jpg

http://uploaded.fresh.co.il/2009/06/22/32068812.jpg

Isaac

Great photos but can we get them without the watermarks. Does that one have a loud speaker in place of the turret?

Floyd

Looking good, Floyd; I haven't had the chance to send you the little scribing guide yet (and it looks like you've already scribed some of the round latches) but I'll put it into the mail to you tomorrow. Maybe it'll reach you in time to save you some grief on the rectangular latches.

Great work Floyd. I am amazed at the ammount of differences there are between variants, fantastic clean workmanship indeed.

You and Joseph make a great team!

Looking forward to the next update already

Cheers

Anthony

Great photos but can we get them without the watermarks. Does that one have a loud speaker in place of the turret?

Floyd

I don't know what it is,at the local forum it created a debate-the censor allowed to publish these

photos,but people were still unconvinced they should.

And there's this one,looks like not operational yet:

idfah1faseoutlined3.th.jpg

Isaac