Hi, again!

This use to be an Academy Su-27UB kit. Quite a bit of scratch building was involved to turn it into a Su-30, starting with the canards and the shoulders for them, the NeOmega cockpit had to be altered, MFDs were added, front IRST ball was moved to the right, the MAWS and Laser warning antennas(3 under the pit, 2 on the sides of air intake an the one on top of fuselage) specific to this craft were added and RWR antennas on the flaps and port rudder, also the rudders were extended and strengtheners added , the TVC nozzles modified to the dropped position, plumbing added in all the wheel bays, landing gear, doors, wheels plus the front landing gear was modified to twin wheel, almost forgot about the in-flight re-fueling system, anyway, you'll notice the rest..... Aftermarket nozzles from Aires, NeOmega cockpit(with canopy), Quickboost nose and Begemot decals were used.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Emil

DSCN4228_zpse579c90a.jpg

DSCN4260_zpsd5a3e281.jpg

DSCN4273_zps6b871f99.jpg

DSCN4227_zpsea64630a.jpg

DSCN4230_zps491708e5.jpg

DSCN4226_zps4417e38c.jpg

DSCN4235_zpsef17fe9c.jpg

DSCN4335_zpsaf06453b.jpg

DSCN4303_zps2957e327.jpg

DSCN4306_zpsceb10746.jpg

DSCN4304_zpse0b87794.jpg

DSCN4303_zps2957e327.jpg

DSCN4245_zpsfaaed1e4.jpg

DSCN4246_zps01109f37.jpg

DSCN4301_zpsec255351.jpg

DSCN4297_zpscdadd316.jpg

DSCN4299_zps3d6f703f.jpg

DSCN4314_zpse9f61232.jpg

DSCN4317_zpsacdd21b9.jpg

DSCN4295_zps7ac2305d.jpg

Edited by Hawkins
Photos were no longer available
Wow Emil! Once again you impress me with your camo skills. May i ask, how did you mask that camo?

Awesome and clean job on those mods.

Hey, Berkut! Thanks for your kind words.

Nothing special about this camo, I used Tamiya and Testors spray cans and really good masking tape.

Cheers

Sweet god...:)

That looks AMAZING!!! Excellent work! :worship:

Got any in progress pictures? :)

Thanks Anthony! Sorry, but no in progress pics. My camerawas dead when I started it, I borrowed this one from a friend.

Cheers

Excellent build, Emil - you really got a great looking MKM - and in Russian markings :woot.gif:

Ken

Thank you, Ken! I was really happy to find the markings on the Begemot sheet, because it was love at first sight wit this camo...

Dunno if you see it in any of the pics but I didn't forgot about the twin recess in the front wheel bay door, you mentioned it in a reply when I was inquiring about this plane .

Emil, wow - what an outstanding build and paint job :worship:

That must be quite impressive in person

Thanks Ken M.! This one, yeah, is da King Kong of my colection!

Emil

Good Lord!!!! that is nothing short of pure genius......if you have an In progress thread point me to it.......Dammmmmnnnn!!!....that's good!!!.

Hey, Angels49! I wouldn't go that far :woot.gif: to genius...Just following the reference! Sorry but no in progress thread, had no camera at the time and I'm kinnda shy, you know :worship:

Thanks and cheers

Emil

Edited by Hawkins
Some more pics....

DSCN4303.jpg

Cheers!

Emil

One small critique (that's what this thread is for yes??).................

The blow-in doors on the underside of the intakes are actually spring-loaded - and only open 'on demand' from the engine.

So they would not be open on a Flanker at rest with the engine off ....

Intake_07.jpg

Hope you don't mind - just trying to help....

Ken

wow.. I like it too...what colors you used for the camo?

Hi, masterqq! I'm glad you like it!

I used the following colors: Testors-gunship gray, Tamiya- light luftwaffe blue and Tamiya- white. As for the radome and the rest of RWR parts, they're Panzer gray

Cheers

One small critique (that's what this thread is for yes??).................

The blow-in doors on the underside of the intakes are actually spring-loaded - and only open 'on demand' from the engine.

So they would not be open on a Flanker at rest with the engine off ....

Intake_07.jpg

Hope you don't mind - just trying to help....

Ken

Absolutely, Ken, this IS the critique corner!! I did make both types blow-in doors, I just used the open one(from Eduard set) because I like it more. Actually, I was wondering if this would be accurate, but didn't payed to much attention.

I do appreciate your observation! Thanks!

Hi

WOW! I like it!

Tom

Thanks, Tom! Happy you like my "baby"! :)

Magnificent conversion....very brave.....and extremely well done.

I just wish that Academy and Trumpeter would do the same thing in 1/48 and 1/32.

Beautiful work!

JED

Thanks JED!

Guess you're right about the brave part, 'cause I gave it some serious thought before starting this, I really wasn't sure I could pull it off since this is my first conversion that involved serious surgery. Off course in theory I KNEW that in modeling, pretty much anything is possible(it's just plastic!) but from that to actually doing it's a big step.

You're also right about one of these guys releasing some really cool Su-s with canards but I really don't see that any time soon <_<

beauttifull camo, the paint job are great, nice build

cheers

Very much appreciated, Pompeo!

Cheers

BEAUTIFUL!

MKM was the plane that impressed me the most at MAKS'09 and seeing your excellent model just brings back memories of this beautiful bird - in fact I have a photo of this bird on my PC background :D

Ha ha! I see we have something in common, Sebastijan, I too have it as a screen saver...It is indeed a beautiful plane!

Thanks!

Wow! Fantastic work! :cheers: Absolutely magnificent build!

Akula, I do appreciate your appreciation! Thanks!

Wow Emil that is ART! You from NJ too? Maybe we could get together and teach us a few pointers on the whole conversion.

Eric

Hey, Eric! I'm happy you like it, dunno if I'd go as far as calling it art though :D ...

I did live in Jersey for a couple of years, actually I wasn't that far from you, (I lived in Dumont) but moved 'bout 6 months ago and didn't bother to change the location in my avatar. Last month went back for a weekend, visit some friends, get trashed at Tommy Fox's Pub in Bergenfield...Good times there... Anyway, I'll let ya know when I go back again, maybe grab a few cold ones!

About this conversion, anything you need, happy if I can help.

Take care!

Emil

BEAUTIFUL!

MKM was the plane that impressed me the most at MAKS'09 and seeing your excellent model just brings back memories of this beautiful bird - in fact I have a photo of this bird on my PC background ;)

Wow! Sebastijan - you have travelled into the future ??? :lol:

How was MAKS 09 ?? Did they have the PAK-FA on display ???? :cheers:

I'm not as clever as you - I only saw it at MAKS 07.

The only trouble was, I didn't realise that it was the MKM - I thought it was still the MKI testbed, so I didn't take any closeup photos of the MAWS/LWS system when I had the chance :worship:

I was too busy doing the new Su-35, I just ignored the MKM........

day03_068.jpg

Ken

That simply looks amazing! I am interested in knowing how you made the colorscheme. First the light colors and then the darker ones? And how did you make the fuel probe (i think) on the left of the cockpit?

Excellent!!!! :salute: :) :worship:

Thanks dude! :D

Wow! Sebastijan - you have travelled into the future ???

How was MAKS 09 ?? Did they have the PAK-FA on display ????

I'm not as clever as you - I only saw it at MAKS 07.

The only trouble was, I didn't realise that it was the MKM - I thought it was still the MKI testbed, so I didn't take any closeup photos of the MAWS/LWS system when I had the chance :D

I was too busy doing the new Su-35, I just ignored the MKM........

day03_068.jpg

Ken

Hello, Ken!

I was wondering, except the TVC nozzles, formation lights and the cockpit what other additions or alterations are necessary to render this Su-35.

That simply looks amazing! I am interested in knowing how you made the colorscheme. First the light colors and then the darker ones? And how did you make the fuel probe (i think) on the left of the cockpit?

Many thanks, Moche!

The colors went in the following order: the light blue first all over then the white and finally the gunship gray. As for the IFR probe, first I cut the fuselage and made from plastic a box, which was glued on the inside of the two fuselage halves were the cut was made, that became the probe's "chamber",painted the inside, then from plastic sprue I sculpted the probe(there are good reference pics on the web), painted it glued it in place and sealed the opening with masking tape until camo was painted.

Hope this helps!

very beautifull!

Glad you like it, Girolamo!

Thanks!

Cheers

Emil

Edited by Hawkins
  • Hawkins changed the title to Su-30MKM Blue 04 Demo Bird