-got the bits form a local (Australia) commertial modeler - Defence models and Graphics - Russ is a great guy

pc-9abits.jpg

As you can see I have attempted to form/pushmold a clear canopy, and hope to include a cutt out cockpit - from an Airfix hawk ?

-be happy

-steve

Edited by ixgr1
Was not aware Defence Models did a 1/48 PC-9. Can you give us some more details on the kit Steve?

I'ts not actualy a kit, Russ' just sold me the 'Bits' around August '07.

http://defencemodels.com.au/

- I think I need another fuselage though, with all my attempts at heat molding ! - so if you are thinking of one, please let me know !

-be happy

-steve

Edited by ixgr1

Yeah - I've dealt with Russ at Defence M&G, and recommend him to those looking for some research assistance.

L&M does a 1/48 PC-9A http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal9...etrovic/00.shtm. Cannot comment of the kit, though.

I have done some partial research over the years, but have been thinking about it seriously with the above recently released model.

Watching this space with interest.

Edited by luke

I picked their (L&M) CT-156 Harvard II in 72nd and it looks good, will build into a very nice kit from the box, but I will do some detailing to make it look better. There are no serious problems with the bits it's like any cottage industry kit, a subject the styrene guys won't touch so put a little effort into the kit and get another model off the list.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. Always hard to tell from photos, but it looks pretty well cast.

It is farly basicaly cast - probably 'desk top' standard, but strong - which is probably what I need when I start Dremiling ?

I thought There was a produced Resin kit out there (L&M) but thought it was Very rare and non-existant ! - Now who is bringing out the Injection molded kit ? - ant' it the way ?

-be happy

-steve

I'ts not actualy a kit, Russ' just sold me the 'Bits' around August '07.

http://defencemodels.com.au/

- I think I need another fuselage though, with all my attempts at heat molding ! - so if you are thinking of one, please let me know !

-be happy

-steve

Hi Steve,

Any idea as to what they're worth? I'd be interested if the price is right.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Steve,

Any idea as to what they're worth? I'd be interested if the price is right.

Regards

Andrew

--bare in mind it was a year and a half ago but he charged me only $40 (AUD) - and I thought it was the only kit avalable ?

-any ways - talk to Russ

"dmg@defencemodels.com.au"

real nice guy (ex-RAN sailor)

-be happy

-steve

• 1 month later...

---project benched......- I stuffed up the Resin trying to both; heat form a canopy, and cutt out the cockpit !!!!

(I might wait untill the Injection Molded kit arrives ?)

- feeling like an idiot !

Edited by ixgr1
Sorry to hear that, now way of bringing it back?

Julien

possibly......just need to rejuvinate my confidance.......(shouldn't take long)

the resin is quite brittle, I just need to go easyer on it, i think.

..........ok, less windging more building -

here is the hollowed out fuslarge

hollowpc-9.jpg

LLLOTS of resin shavings all over my bench now !!!

I am using a modified Bae Hawk cockpit tub - that I am cutting to be level and not terraced

Edited by ixgr1
  • 1 month later...

---after a while, a bit of an update - (working with resin isn't a picnic !)

pc-9puttogether.jpg

Mmmmmm not the best fitt, -bit of a challange

pc-9fuslarg.jpg

80 % together LOTS of putty

- I am becoming enthused by this project - it is a great challange !

• 1 month later...

ok done a bit of work.....

started the painting (lots of paint tp seal the resin)

and (not seen) i've dremeled out the rest of the cockpit, almost to the fuselarge floor ! also built up the cockpit walls with plastcard - to correct the craked resin and give a nice clean cockpit sill

drilled out the engine area to insert leadweights, lots about 500g ! - to counterbalance the resin in the tail

and started working on the cockpit fittings, rounded knee areas, mfd's and readout panels

pc-930.jpg

I can see the Messerschmitt origins of this A/C, quiet clearly as it comes together

Edited by ixgr1
  • 1 month later...

--ok Gents and Ladies,

its been a while between drinks, but I've finaly got Photobucket running.

I've got the main painting done - just got to get every thing together now.

pc-9899.jpg

cockpit is shaping up ...ok

pc-9pit.jpg

---thanks Luke, it's starting to look like an aerobatic a/c now !

....and finally,

I am disapointed with the shaping of the canopy, but it was my first attempt. I may replace it at some stage.

pc-9finn.jpg

--yes I know the seats are wrong ! they should have triangle sides to the head - (I didn't see that untill too late)

pc-9finn2.jpg

Standard front on shot............

pc-9finn3.jpg

poor quality but you get the idear of the aerial fitt.

pc-9finn5.jpg

-it's a bit rough !! but complete - I am at least proud of the full cutt out for the 'pit.

-and I'ts a PC-9 in 1/48 for under $180 AUD !!!

.........Thanks to all, that gave me encoragment with this build. I wouldn't have soldiered on with out you

:D, Well done Steve,

It fought you all the way obviously, but you prevailed in the end. And you've done a great job in my opinion. One thing puzzles me though, and that is your comment about the Messerschmitt origins of this aeroplane. Messerschmitt? I can see an Arado influence, and one of its distant antecedants the P-2 had a lot of Arado influence. I have read that it did have a fair bit of Messerschmitt influence. Something about the wing basically being a Bf-109G wing with inwards retracting undercarriage, but I do see more Arado influence in it than Messerschmitt. But then, that's just my opinion.

:cheers:,

Ross.