What AIM-9 was carried by USAF F-104's?

I've seen pics of AIM-9J's on the wing tip rails of the 58th TTW F-104G's that were operated in USAF colors on behalf of the Luftwaffe training cycle; other than that, AIM-9B only.

HTH,

Andre

The F-104 was out of USAF service before any of the modern AIM-9's came on hand, so the correct answer is to load your F-104 with AIM-9B's. You can find some good ones in Hasegawa's missile sets - both 1/72 and 1/48.

As for NATO Starfighters, both RNoAF and RNlAF carried AIM-9J/P's, and I think Turkey did aswell. Although I haven't seen pics, I assume Greek F-104's also did the same.

Italian F-104's I believe could carry both AIM-9J/P and/or AIM-9L's - all depending on the timeframe.

Have you tried searching http://www.916-starfighter.de/main.htm or http://www.starfighters.nl/ ?

Could give you some good detail information for your build.

Best of luck - and post some photos for us to view, OK :thumbsup:

:cheers:

EDIT: Only now saw that you are modelling an F-104 from the 58TTW. As this was the German training unit in the US, odds are good that you will do nice with AIM-9J/P's

Edited by Boman
  • 4 years later...

Dutch 322 / 323 Squadrons used both the B and J on their interceptor F-104G's.

104wK8341.jpg

1559_F104G_D8115_322sq_EHLW_22JUL80_1.jpg

Don't put Sidewinders on your 306, 311 and 312 Klu Starfighters - these units did not use them, due to their recce (306) and strike / attack (311 / 312) tasking.

Cheers,

Andre

Italian F-104's I believe could carry both AIM-9J/P and/or AIM-9L's - all depending on the timeframe.

Italian Air Force only bought two Sidewinder variants: B and L.

AIM-9B were used on F-104G (interceptors) and F-104S (interceptors), the AIM-9L went on F-104S ASA (interceptors) and all F-104S ASAM. TF-104G were also wired for AIM-9B but only used them on early years. All bombers and recce variants were not vired for AAM. BL75 were never cleared for flight in Italy (even if there are some photos of them on F-104S on static display) so AIM-9 were attached on wingtips or on underwing pylons.