Rick,

Jamo over at the Aerodrome got his hand-delivered by Wingnuts themselves. (He lives in the same town :coolio: ) Needless to say, they it looks great. This has taken WWI modeling to a whole new level. I guess we're up to Tamigawa standards now. :rolleyes:

Warren

Edited by dixieflyer

I've ordered one too, the SE.5a.

Here are the instruction sheets for the SE.5a. Honestly, I think this may well go even beyond Tamiya standards and set a whole new level.

SE.5a Wingnut Wings instruction sheet

There is more on the way!

Also, the company is linked with a certain Peter Jackson who owns the company Wingnut Films. So thanks Peter Jackson!

Oh yeah, Peter Jackson's hands are all over this. :rolleyes: Yes, it has exceeded Tamigawa quality. Oh lord, will we be reduced to the same low level as 1/35th armor modelers? :coolio:

I have to wait for my tax refund to get one, but only if I figure that I can actually put it somewhere in the house if and when I get one built.

Warren

I find it kind of sad how little discussion there's been about these kits on the mainstream modelling sites. Just goes to show how niche a market WWI modelling is, I guess.

If these had been the WWII equivalents, Hyperscale would be going *nuts* - "hey did you see that..." "I wonder if they'll do..." "isn't it amazing that they've...".

This is huge.

It's a tectonic shift in the modelling world.

It's right up there with Accurate Miniatures moving from 1/100 helos into high-quality, mainstream(ish) releases.

A brand new, *heavy* hitter popping up overnight. With a big, thick bankroll. A brace of major (for the genre) releases straight off the bat, that best all their competitors for quality, and rival anyone else in the hobby. *Plus* a really well thought out strategic brand image, which puts everyone else to shame, and shows how piddly the model biz as an industry really is. Really solid web design that both informs customers and does a tremendous job advertising to new ones. And perhaps more importantly than any of that, instruction manuals that are a quantum leap forward from the simple exploded view diagram that most companies still use: they've cherry picked all the best bits of how manufacturers do their instructions, and then made the whole thing even better. And really friendly to the casual WWI/serious modeller: don't have a stack of Windsock Datafiles? No problem, there's enough reference photos to satisfy most AMS afflicted modellers. The instructions answer most of the questions newbies ask: how often have you seen posts on the forums, wondering what diameter material should be used for scale rigging? Answer: here's the diameter for German rigging, and for control lines, and here's the dimensions for RAF flying lines...

It's just a shame most modellers will never know. :lol:

MoFo,

I agree on all counts. However, most modelers do not want to build WWI a/c. When I decided back in the mid 90's that I would like to one day get back into modeling I started buying a few WWI kits. Wasn't much there, and I decided it would be a nice niche to be in. In the last 15 years it, WWI modeling, has literally exploded to my eyes. The likes of Roden, Eduard, etc. have made WWI modeling much more accessible to the average modeler. I have seen some WWII and later modelers show up at the WWI Modeling List and the Aerodrome over the last couple of years. Some have stuck around, many have come and then gone again. However, most have come because WWI a/c modeling has a much higher profile now.

With the advent of Wingnuts, it will only grow some more. The news is out, and modelers will come. I wish Wingnuts nothing but great success. However, I must say that I will not be disappointed if WWI a/c modeling does not become like WWII armor modeling. :lol: ;)

Warren

Very Cool, thanks for the link

I love WWI airplanes, and have a couple of the Roden Dr. I's/F.I's and Albatros' in the pile. I have been hoping for a nice German 2 seater, and that LVG would fit the bill nicely. I have also been waiting for a good DVII and Albatros DV, and it looks they are going to do both. I have an unfortunate bias for machines wearing the Maltese or Iron cross. The Gotha and figures look like they will be very nice as well. Too bad I'm broke! Might be time to purge some O' the stash.

I agree,

That Web site is total Model P*RN and I am weak man (just ask my wife). I have started to "purge" some of my maybe/sometime collection to get my hands on a couple of these. I just can't believe the quality (from the pic's anyway)

wrinkles in fabric the detail looks fantastic! And that Gotha! what a masive model that would be! I really need to purge I'm so weak......... anyone want a B-17 with all the bells and whistles? What about the new Rolland from Eduard or a Bristol?

I think I'm getting pin wheel eyes!

I know they would make the most amazing diorama pieces. I wonder when the figures are going to be released?

Well back to the basement, going to take another look at what can go!

Edited by Airforce Brat
It's just a shame most modellers will never know. :P

Agree completely with the rest of your post, sir, not sure about this though. Word of...typing finger...seems to be going round quite quickly and the appearance of this rather wonderful-looking dealer is fresh enough to maybe change some tastes :thumbsup:

I find it kind of sad how little discussion there's been about these kits on the mainstream modelling sites. Just goes to show how niche a market WWI modelling is, I guess.

If these had been the WWII equivalents, Hyperscale would be going *nuts* - "hey did you see that..." "I wonder if they'll do..." "isn't it amazing that they've...".

It's just a shame most modellers will never know. :jaw-dropping:

Actually, there are a number of threads on HS, some quite long, about the kits. I think the the kits have gotten more excitement than than the latest 109 kit. There is a thread or two on LSP, this thread, a small thread "somewhere else", Aeroscale, and so on. There seems to be a lot of buzz considering that they were officially announced only a week or so ago, even from some people who say they don't do WW1 stuff. I expect that we'll see articles on the kits start showing up in modeling mags like TMMI or MAI and so on. I think these kits are moving interest in WW1 kits out of the niche and beyond just the guys that hang out at the Aerodrome forum. That said, while they may be some converts, there are a lot of people who won't do WW1 stuff, no matter how impressive the kit, just like there are people who won't do anything past 1945 or nothing earlier than 1945. A lot of people are intimidated by WW1 kits and don't want to tackle things like rigging, lozenge decals, and wood painted stuff like props or fuselages.

It's only been about a week, but I think the message has gotten out to a lot of people.

That said, while they may be some converts, there are a lot of people who won't do WW1 stuff, no matter how impressive the kit, just like there are people who won't do anything past 1945 or nothing earlier than 1945. A lot of people are intimidated by WW1 kits and don't want to tackle things like rigging, lozenge decals, and wood painted stuff like props or fuselages.

Well, you can always assume there are some people that just don't like it. I will not model anything past 1945. Why? I just don't like it and could care less. By the same token, I am sure there are people that could care less about pre-1945 and WWI stuff too.

Warren

Well, you can always assume there are some people that just don't like it. I will not model anything past 1945. Why? I just don't like it and could care less. By the same token, I am sure there are people that could care less about pre-1945 and WWI stuff too.

Warren

Does that mean you only model props? Or will you build a YP-80 or Me-262? I ask because I could understand building only 'pre-1945" if it means props only, but there were a number of jets around in that time frame as well. On the flip side, you still have a number of props around post-1945.

Just wondering

Jason,

I might be persuaded to build an Me-262 one day or some such, but I doubt it. I would more likely build an F-86 Sabre or MiG-15 rather than a 262. I really don't even like props from 1945 all that much. I do not like post '45 props either. Why? I have no idea, but anything past '44 in terms of a/c, vehicles, figures, etc. just leaves me cold. Now, I do like looking at what other people do in those areas, and I applaud their efforts. I am, as a historian/social studies teacher certainly not averse to reading or doing research of the post '45 period, but in terms of modeling, it just doesn't seem to be for me. I've no idea why I am this way.

I made some money selling some uniform items I no longer needed at the Middle Tennessee Militaria show this weekend, but spent the money on some WWI Osprey titles. :cheers:

Gotta quit doing that and save money for WingNuts kits and WWII Soviet Weapons.

Warren

Edited by dixieflyer
Actually, there are a number of threads on HS, some quite long, about the kits.

True. Took a while though. As did this thread. The simple "new WWI model manufacturer" threads got no traffic. Once the marketing e-mail was posted, the buzz built.

Meanwhile on the WWI groups, the conversation has started to wane. It blew up faster, loads of excitement, people ordering, wondering what's next, speculation, etc. etc. (even the turnbuckle discussions), now they're past the initial buzz, many already have their kits, and things are getting back to normal. It was cooling down when HS was just starting to heat up.

Just, interesting the way different groups are reacting to the information. ARC is more jet-centric than HS, with correspondingly less interest here (apparently). But still I suspect, people that don't read the forums regularly will probably miss the news. Lots of people who only read one forum, will miss the news (if the only site you read is ARC, it'll be easy to miss - "new WWI kits? meh...") Go to HS a week from now and they'll likely be back to the usual -109 this and P-40 paint that. If you haven't checked the boards in the past week, you'll be *whooshed*. I'm sure that a year or two from now, you'll still be seeing posts by people just learning about the 'new' company. After all, there's *still* people who are amazed to learn that their new Revellogram kit has recessed panel lines. :jaw-dropping:

Jason,

I might be persuaded to build an Me-262 one day or some such, but I doubt it. I would more likely build an F-86 Sabre or MiG-15 rather than a 262. I really don't even like props from 1945 all that much. I do not like post '45 props either. Why? I have no idea, but anything past '44 in terms of a/c, vehicles, figures, etc. just leaves me cold. Now, I do like looking at what other people do in those areas, and I applaud their efforts. I am, as a historian/social studies teacher certainly not averse to reading or doing research of the post '45 period, but in terms of modeling, it just doesn't seem to be for me. I've no idea why I am this way.

I made some money selling some uniform items I no longer needed at the Middle Tennessee Militaria show this weekend, but spent the money on some WWI Osprey titles. :jaw-dropping:

Gotta quit doing that and save money for WingNuts kits and WWII Soviet Weapons.

Warren

Thats cool, we all have things that we do that we can't explain why, but I was interested because I can get interested in pretty much anything, but find that most WWII props just leave me cold. Talk about polar opposites. But I am really stoked about the new WWI kits, especially the DVII and the Albatros DV. I too have to do some purging to afford even one of them, but it looks like they will be worth it. Hoping for some more WWI 2 seaters, especially the Huns.

Can anyone tell me what the most common WWI German 2 seater was? Whatever it was, I hope we see WN do one. Talk about setting a new stanadard!

Edited by JasonB

See the Wingnut Wings website:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

click over to the "Customer's Models" section, and you will see 3 out of the 4 currently available WW models built up by Ray Rimell. Who is Ray Rimell you ask? Arguably the world's foremost WWI aviation modeler, publisher of Windsock magazine and editor/publisher of the extensive WWI Aircraft Datafile series.

There is extensive photo coverage of Ray's built up WW LVG, Junkers J.I and SE5a. Many of the shots are posed in diorama settings.

Has anyone else had a problem with their website?

The front page opens fine but when I try to see the models themselves or Customers' models or almost any other link it starts to load the page and then freezes requiring me to Crtl, alt, del to close the window and then ALL open IE windows also close!!

Is there some special script they have on those pages that an older IE6 isn't compatible with?

The front page opens fine but when I try to see the models themselves or Customers' models or almost any other link it starts to load the page and then freezes requiring me to Crtl, alt, del to close the window and then ALL open IE windows also close!!

Is there some special script they have on those pages that an older IE6 isn't compatible with?

Maybe. I'm using Chrome & the current version of IE w/ no problems.

Another thought, how current is your version of Flash?

There has been a few people having issues with IE, the fix seems to updating you browser to the lastest version's to 7 or 8