Looking for some SH-34 / UH-34 references

I am looking for some detail on the SH-34 Seabat and UH-34 Sea Horse. I have Squadron's H-34 book and just got Schiffers H-34 book, but they don't really show me what I need.

I'm looking for some detail photos or drawings of the the weapons racks and sonar equipment on the Seabat. I would really like to see how the cabin was set up with the sonar operators and what external equipment would be visible. Any photos of a seabat armed with ASW weapons would be great.

On the UH-34, Schiffers H-34 book has a great pic of a UH-34 on the cover, it appears to have Abandon Chute on the bottom (you can see the top of Abandon), any photos from below of a UH-34 with these markings would be really helpful to see what else was underneath (rescue, national insignia?).

Finally if anyone had a good shot of the Penguin on King Pin II that would be great.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, all I've got is Army H-34s

Yeah, I get a lot of that. The Choctaw must be more photogenic than the Seabat.

HSS-1N.jpg

Note that main picture is with sway braces extended for a mine; the inset shows the sway braces oriented for a torpedo.

Great pics and diagrams. This pic even shows the Abandon Chute all on one side unlike other USN helos that have Abandon on one side and chute on the other. Any idea whats on the other side? Duplicated? Rescue?

Thank you. I have the Cobra Company Wessex kit for the ASW equipment but wasn't sure if it would be set up the same.

Aaronw, there was an article in Fine Scale Modeller a few years ago on an H-34 Seabat. It was a super-detailling project based on the 1/72 Italeri kit but used the Cobra Company Wessex set and bits from two different etched sets. It was one of those classic FSM articles! If you need the details of that issue of FSM, let me know. It might help out with your project. :)

LD.

Aaronw, there was an article in Fine Scale Modeller a few years ago on an H-34 Seabat. It was a super-detailling project based on the 1/72 Italeri kit but used the Cobra Company Wessex set and bits from two different etched sets. It was one of those classic FSM articles! If you need the details of that issue of FSM, let me know. It might help out with your project. :)

LD.

That would be great, even if just which issue so I can try and track it down, thanks.

Great pics and diagrams. This pic even shows the Abandon Chute all on one side unlike other USN helos that have Abandon on one side and chute on the other. Any idea whats on the other side? Duplicated? Rescue?

I was surprised to see the Abandon Chute at all. However, it was added to plane guard and some SAR helicopters after a couple of unpleasant incidents so it makes sense that it would be on all rescue hoist equipped helicopters. I doubt that anything is on the other side but I really don't know. The pilot, who is in the right seat, will hover taxi to the right to position for the hoist, which is to the right-side door, so there's really no need for anything on the left. The HUP marking was on the belly, but the hoist came down through a hole in the floor so the helicopter would be directly over the rescuee.

HSS-1NAvWeek.jpg

HSS3.jpg

Thanks for the additional pics and info. I'm not that familiar with naval helicopter operations, would it be unusual for ASW helos to also do plane guard?

I'll also look for the 4/05 FSM too.

Edited by Aaronw
Thanks for the additional pics and info. I'm not that familiar with naval helicopter operations, would it be unusual for ASW helos to also do plane guard?

Because of the limited space aboard the carrier, it makes sense to have the ASW helicopter squadron do plane guard as a collateral duty. Nevertheless, plane guard was initially provided by a utility helicopter squadron detachment flying HUPs or HUKs, in part due to the limited excess hover lift capability of the HSS-1 with a full bag of fuel and four crew. In fact, the HSS-1 could not do both the sonar dipping mission and also carry torpedoes. Another, armed HSS-1 was brought in for the kill. That changed with the introduction of the SH-3.

I'll say it again, I really wish someone would make a decent 35th scale model of the U/SH-34. Truly a historical helo. You would think that given the number of variants and the number of nations who have used this, that there would be a decent market for this.

Oh well....

John

I'll say it again, I really wish someone would make a decent 35th scale model of the U/SH-34. Truly a historical helo. You would think that given the number of variants and the number of nations who have used this, that there would be a decent market for this.

Oh well....

John

I'm not really into 1/35 aircraft but I'd make an exception for a 1/35 H-34