I'd like to do this project but I don't have a big enough piece of RENShape to make the pattern and buying a whole board is more than I can afford at this time. I am checking out a few sources to see if I can buy some smaller pieces.

Some day...

Chris

What's RENShape ? and why does it cost an arm and a leg?

Jim

PS I would love a UB canopy too.

I'd like to do this project but I don't have a big enough piece of RENShape to make the pattern and buying a whole board is more than I can afford at this time. I am checking out a few sources to see if I can buy some smaller pieces.

Some day...

Chris

What's RENShape ? and why does it cost an arm and a leg?

Jim

PS I would love a UB canopy too.

It's a filled urethane board. It's great for machining and carving and can be polished to a nice gloss. I prefer it for making canopy patterns over any other material I've tried.

canopy005sm.jpg

A-7023sm.jpg

It's expensive because there isn't a comparable competitive product on the market so they can charge an arm and a leg.

http://www.freemansupply.com/RenShape460MediumH.htm

If anybody knows of any vendors that sell smaller pieces please let me know!

:(

Flankermans' Su-33 Walkaround has the best photos of the pods I've seen but I can't find a link for the site, only a few pictures.Ken, what's up with your Flanker site? It's been down for too long and is such a valuable resource!
Update, Ken posted a link on another thread :http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/su-33.htm

Great photos Ken!

I'm still anxious for you to get the rest of your site back up and running though!

As good as Kens' photos are I'd still love any more detail pictures of the Sorbitsya Pods if anybody's got any!

Any consideration for AA-8 launchers for the Mig-21, since they carried them singly and in dual rail configuration?
I've also just ordered a few books on the MiG-21 including the Squadron walkaround part 2 which I understand has some photos of the launchers.
Well the MiG books didn't have very good reference photos of the launchers and I haven't found much on the internet either...

Anybody have any good pics of Aphid launchers? Single or Double?

:(

That Sorbtsya is outstanding,Chris!

I'd like to scratch-build one in 1/72 scale,would you mind tell me the size of 1/32 one?

So Sorbtsyas on port wing or starboard wing are same?

BTW,I have some close shots of APU-60/60-2 from several books.

Considering the copyrights,I'll send them to you by PM later on.

Cheers,

Yufei

That Sorbtsya is outstanding,Chris!

I'd like to scratch-build one in 1/72 scale,would you mind tell me the size of 1/32 one?

So Sorbtsyas on port wing or starboard wing are same?

BTW,I have some close shots of APU-60/60-2 from several books.

Considering the copyrights,I'll send them to you by PM later on.

Cheers,

Yufei

Thanks Yufei :cheers:

The Sorbitsya Pods do differ slightly from left to right. Check the small details on Flankermans' Su-33 walkaround that I linked above.

For the dimensions I compared the drawings in the Polygon and World Air Power Journal. The WAPJ drawings were slightly longer and looked best compared to photos both in dimensions and profile. The drawings are in 1/72 so I scaled them up. In 1/72 the pods measure approx. 2.32" (58.93mm) X .158" (4.01mm).

I did find some pretty good pictures of the APU-60 and 60-2 on www.Hunavia.hu. There are tons of MiG-21, MiG-23 and MiG-29 pictures there! :woot.gif:

One can never have too much reference though so I'd appreciate any other pics any of you might have.

Please e-mail them to Zactoman@Zactomodels.com if you can't post them here.

I already have the following books as reference:

Squadron MiG-21 Walk Around #1 and 2

Lock On No21 MiG-21MF

4+ Publication MiG-21

Squadron Fighting Colors MiG-21 in Color

Thanks,

Chris

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman

Use Chris' 1/32 version for my references,I updated the 1/72 version!

The base kit is Armory 1/72 resin one,but with too pointed tip and little detail.

0AB0EB0FC57452036A02B0E44D253304.jpg

0D73114151B44091F2F0259D97080E1F.jpg

Navigation lights are heat-pressed by clear sprue.

DBAC6D6B66C1A0094F69102395C22767.jpg

And finished!

83AC2A0B1674900B5868D5E9D6AFECFC.jpg

More pictures can be found in my Su-27P topic here

Just FYI.

Cheers,

Yufei

Sorbtsya Pods are finished.

I just have to finalize the artwork for the stiffener plates and start casting parts.

Sorbitsya6.jpg

The stiffener plates here are vinyl cuts with the rivet pattern applied using a pin vise with a straight pin.

Sorbitsya7.jpg

I printed the rivet pattern on paper, cut the pattern out and taped it over the vinyl with clear tape, then poked holes through the paper to transfer the rivet pattern.

Sorbitsya9.jpg

Unfortunately I opted to not include clear navigation lights as this would drive the cost up and I don't expect to sell very many of these as not many Flankers carry them.

They sure look cool installed though...

Sorbitsya8.jpg

The lenses can be replaced by ambitious modelers with clear ones or...

I would recommend covering the lenses with Bare-Metal Foil then painting them with Tamiya transparent red and green. I got great results using this method on my 1/48 D.520:

D520sm10.jpg

Use Chris' 1/32 version for my references,I updated the 1/72 version!

More pictures can be found in my Su-27P topic here

:worship:

OK, now how about getting back to missiles...

Sorbtsya Pods are finished.

OK, now how about getting back to missiles...

Wow, Chris! That Sorbtsya looks really smashing! Real benchmark! :worship:

Missiles? :worship: Well, some teasing pics... :cheers:

51947-fbb52-17781364-m750x740.jpg

51947-ed8f1-17781379-m549x500.jpg

51947-1b501-17781388-m549x500.jpg

51947-604b4-17781400-m549x500.jpg

The Alamo longer burner is compleated. IR seeker 95% done.

One li'l step - and with the luck an Alamo vast master set (except Alamo D - the most longer burner) is finished.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

Eastern... this missiles are just out of this world...!!!

I need them now.....

My Su-27 is waiting for your improvments....

One day you could make some airfield stuffs for modern russian diorama, just one day :cheers:

regards

Rafael

Thanks a lot, guys, for appreciation.

Hey, Berkut, my DNA is not too much different from yours one, I suppose; the point is a patience - this is what we all need to learn to. :o

Geedubelyer, thanks much!

Rafael, tnx much, you've just tickled my modeling ego. :D As for the airfield stuff, oh, no!, after all Mig/Su ordnance is finished I would

eagerly start working on my Mig-29. My hands are itching to do that as soon as possible. And then, my Hornet is still waiting to be armed completely. :soapbox:

Alexander.

:huh:

Hi Eastern,

Thats some really impressive work on the missiles!......any chance of doing similar in 1/48 and 72nd scale? I'd definately be up for half a dozen sets!

as it would save me scratchbuilding them, if not can I ask please what plans you are using for your master?

regards Simon :bandhead2:

Hi Eastern,

Thats some really impressive work on the missiles!......any chance of doing similar in 1/48 and 72nd scale? I'd definately be up for half a dozen sets!

as it would save me scratchbuilding them, if not can I ask please what plans you are using for your master?

regards Simon :unsure:

Hi, Simon! Tnx for the appreciation.

As for the 1/48 and 1/72 scale, well, maybe Yufei - he is very skilled at 1/72 scale mastering (see some of his posts above. His Sorbtsya in 1/72 looks awesome).

As for me, I'm not considering any 1/72 and 1/48 scale mastering, sorry.

As for the plans, I used Flanker DVD, some references from Internet and some pics kindly offered by ARC'ers. I've developed the plans by myself using the photos.

Alexander.

:whistle:

Hello, everybody!

Finally! The Alamo combo master set is done!

Here are some pics:

51947-409cc-17962007-m549x500.jpg

All possible options:

51947-5beb1-17962017-m549x500.jpg

51947-01386-17962009-m549x500.jpg

51947-4a9c1-17962015-m549x500.jpg

51947-68181-17962012-m549x500.jpg

Hi, Marcel! Now you can start building your Flanker. :lol:

Alexander.

:woot.gif:

Those look fantastic, Alexander.

I have already started my Flanker build. In fact, the construction for the entire airframe is completed and I will start painting in a week or two. I'm hoping the timing will be right to use these beautiful missiles from you and Chris. Wouldn't it be great to be the first flanker on the block to use Zacto nose, intake, canopy AND missiles!

Cheers,

Terry

:thumbsup: Thanks Alexander I will be getting a set of each version. These are simply fantastic and beyond description. Thanks for producing these!!!!!!! Now I don't supose you would be interested in mastering a Twobar for the Flanker :D

Jim