Canadian Pacific Airlines DC-4

Hey there folks,

I guess I'm getting into this kinda late. I started my DC-4 back in late January, but my camera crapped out in early Feb. so I wasn't able to take that many in-progress pics.

I decided upon the CPA scheme because I'm quazi-employed (read temporarly laid off) by Canadian Pacific (the railway, that is!) so I'm trying to do mostly CPA subjects for civil aircraft.

Here's the sprue shot from January:

dc4-01.jpg

And here's where I am now: - Tamiya rattle can paints -

dc4-02.jpg

Whiskey Jack Decals. Not bad in my opinion.

dc4-05.jpg

Wasn't too fond of the decal around the nose. Also didn't like the layout of the cockpit windows. Had to split the decal down the middle to get it to fit right. And that black anti-glare panel??...GRRRR :D

dc4-04.jpg

De-icer cuffs on the props are just left-over black decal from the sheet.

dc4-03.jpg

Now to add the fiddley bits (ie nose gear, gear doors, astrodome, aerials, etc...)

I'm thinking I'll have to take the cowlings off to re-position the engine faces. Seems to me they're not in straight :doh:

Anybody have a suggestion for the finish/weathering? I was thinking a wash to accent panel lines, or just leave it alone... Let me know what you think!

Shane

:D

Edited by rcaf_100

Your DC-4 is looking really good. I really like the scheme. I have this kit and have been looking for a scheme for it, maybe I will have to copy yours....I will watch with interest!

Chrs

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey there folks,

I guess I'm getting into this kinda late. I started my DC-4 back in late January, but my camera crapped out in early Feb. so I wasn't able to take that many in-progress pics.

I decided upon the CPA scheme because I'm quazi-employed (read temporarly laid off) by Canadian Pacific (the railway, that is!) so I'm trying to do mostly CPA subjects for civil aircraft.

. . . Whiskey Jack Decals. Not bad in my opinion.

. . . Wasn't too fond of the decal around the nose. Also didn't like the layout of the cockpit windows. Had to split the decal down the middle to get it to fit right. And that black anti-glare panel??...GRRRR

Well, let me say you are a brave soul tackling one of these classic CPA liveries. Nice job. :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about the raw deal with the job. I'm going through that too.

/U

Edited by upkeep
Well, let me say you are a brave soul tackling one of these classic CPA liveries. Nice job. :cheers:

Sorry to hear about the raw deal with the job. I'm going through that too.

/U

Hi upkeep,

Thanks for the compliments! Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to build a CPA fleet.

The DC-4 turned out nice, but as it turned out, I didn't add quite enough weight to the nose. :doh:

It does sit on its wheels, but even lightly blow on it and over she goes! I think my next 1/144 CPA project will either be a DC-6B, Canadair Four, or a DH Comet.

As for my experiences with WJ decals, this is only the first build that I've had the pleasure of using them. I've got quite a few sets waiting to be used.

However, I wish they had a better QC department. For example, on every decal sheet for Kenting Aviation planes (ie: Hudson, Mosquito, and Fortress), the winged 'K' logo has 'OTTAWA CANADA' below it, where it should be 'OSHAWA CANADA'. Another one is that the 1/72 CPA Boeing 247D decals have 'CANADIAN PACFIC AIRLINES' for the fuselage lettering. Notice the missing 'I'.

I'm not knocking WJ, as I'm glad they produced these sets for us Canucks. Although I do wish they could somehow go back in production. :yahoo:

BTW the pics you had posted earlier of your CPA/PWA DC-3's looked great. I had tried to reply last night twice and both times the hydro went out while typing...the second time was for a few hours. Stupid thunderstorm! :lol:

:o

• 8 months later...

Hi just seen your DC 4 in google's whiiskey jack decals images, nice job, so now I'am a new member, I have 2 1/144 DC 4 planes still in box's along with several other plane's that I want to change to canadian stuff, I didn't know if anyone still made decals in that scale, or where to get them from,but now I know, I'am still hand painting the DC-3 CPA that is on a wind vane in yellow knife, I'll keep checking through the post's good job.