Revell 1/48 Strike Eagle

Further work on the jet fuel starter exhaust. Capturing the unique substructure in the JFS area that results in a cool heating pattern was today's goal.

First step, a roughly triangular patch of Alclad jet exhaust. Too big, too dark:

dscn4565a.jpg

The next step was to use a post it note mask to reapply the base metal color

dscn4566d.jpg

Then a quick shot of the jet exhaust and duraluminum mixed and thinned to blend the colors:

dscn4567q.jpg

Finally, the arresting hook. Significant only because it is another SLAM Eagle donor part and decal. Once the decal has set up, I can fix the wrinkle (though it will be blocked from view by the engine nozzle).

dscn4569k.jpg

Yeah, me too. Took advantage of SWMBO's absence to attach all the bomb rack sway braces. I made sure to pre-drill the braces that will have weapons mounted, as all the weapons will be pinned to stave off the inevitable breakage…

Progress, problems, progress. Took about an hour this morning to mask off the topside BM area, but got it done. The Alclad went down perfectly, but revealed 2 previously unknown scratches in the starboard engine. So, I did what you aren't supposed to and tried micro meshing them out.

Well, Alclad cures lightening fast, but the primer underneath was too soft and I created a mess. So, I did what you aren't supposed to, and laid the Alclad down thick over the messed up area. There was a noticeable discontinuity, and I left it to cure while at work. After coming home, I carefully wet sanded the area with 3200 grit mesh, frequently changing the water and taking my time. Well, it worked. After a while the discontinuity blended, and a new coat of Alclad 102 came off beautifully. I did some panel variations using dark aluminum. I also made the CFT tank exhausts a mix of Model Master Metallizer steel and jet exhaust enamel, which worked out pretty well.

Below are some natural lighting pics that show the panel shading. It is subtle enough that from some angle you can't see the variations at all. Also noteworthy is there are two gunship colored non skid areas in the topside that are essentially invisible in the photo. There are two areas in need of repair--between humps and on the left topside. I expect thw wash will help cleanup any remaining panel line edge issues.

dscn4570.jpg

dscn4571.jpg

Hi Mark,

I'm ever more impressed as this build goes on. You've managed a flawless result with the AlcladII and the subtle differences between panels looks very convincing. The heat staining adds some visual interest too.

Keep at it. You're approaching the home stretch so the finish line has got to be in sight.......

Great stuff. :worship:

:worship:

The stand. Tall enough to see the underside, But thoroughly plain to not detract from the kit. Still debating adding a name plate. Thoughts? Should I have it read "494th Fighter Squadron"," Revell 1/48th F-15E", some combo of both...? I mean I know what it is, so it would really be for shows. Not sure what the current in vogue thing is...

dscn4581.jpg

The acrylic rod turned out way better than I hoped. I hit it with Maas metal polish, and it positively glows. At the top is a 1 1/2" brass rod fitting into the JFS exhaust. The idea being the brass rod gives you the most unobstructed view of the underside.

Edited by MarkW

More progress. The TB decal sheet was a serious headache for the tail stripes. There were no instructions (needed), and the decals did not fit nor did they settle down. So I went with plan B. Having some spare decal film I sprayed my color of choice, Railroad Colors Wisconsin Central Maroon (which I'm sure the 494th uses :D ) on the sheet:

dscn4564k.jpg

After measuring the width of the TB decals, and several attempts, I was able to cut strips of painted decal sheet and apply to the tail. Lesson learned, the hobby knife needs a new blade--and older blade will cut the paper, but can cause flaking of the paint off the film. Interim results below:

dscn4583m.jpg

dscn4582p.jpg

Still some trimming to do (the near fin above has already been fixed), and I need a small patch to cover the lights/antennae things. Fortunately, I can overlay this film nicely, and with MicroSet, it snuggles down like a layer of paint.

Which, I guess, it is...

Mark, that's very nice progress. I like how your shading worked out. As for the red/white stripe, I went the airbrush route, I think you definately did the right thing in the end, it's pretty hard to get the decal to conform around the light fairing.

Marcel

Thanks!

No real visible progress. Working on the seeker heads for the GBU-12s, and getting ready to weather the OD portions of the bombs before masking and painting the gray guidance sections. Also finished up the tail horizontal stripes, and dis a smidgen of detail painting with the gun port. I tried putting the Academy SLAM Eagle LAU-128 rail decals on, but it rapidly became ridiculous with the rails on the wing already. I'm reply running out if things to do before the final wash...

Did a quick test fit of kit to stand. Since the only contact is about 1 inch of 3/32nd in diameter rod, it tends to swivel. I'll need to gum it up a bit. I really like the attitude it has on the stand (for reference, it is a 1/2" acrylic rod).

img00031200908041855.jpg

img00032200908041856.jpg

Update--working on weapons. Did some of this while traveling, fortunately the TSA didn't find the bombs in my baggage. :worship:

First, applied OD from a can. Next, drybrushed a mix of Pactra watercolor OD, yellow and gray. Came out glossy, but flat coat will cure that. Also decaled up the AIM-120Cs.

dscn4585t.jpg

Next, some detail painting. Did the first coat of gray, then the yellow, then the silver JDAM metal bands.

dscn4587p.jpg

Obviously, some cleanup is still needed with the gray and OD. Just ran out of time, nap time that is (I paint when the kid is out).

Finally, the GBU-12 seeker heads. MAJOR cleanup needed, but progressing quite nicely. Just gotta finish by Nats...

dscn4588.jpg

Also managed to install all the pins and drill out all the sway bar attachments so all I have to do is pop the bombs on. All the bombs have magnets installed, and the centerline GBU-31 has both the bomb and fuselage side magnets in place. If I have time, I'll install fuselage side magnets for the GBU-12s and -38s. As is, they'll stay put for now even without the fuselage side magnets.

Ugh. The GBU-38s don't quite fit...

Oh no,........why not Mark? Clearance issues?

Neat paint on the ordnance though. The glossy black heads on the GBU-38 look very eye-catching and the clear orange seeker heads of the GBU-12s are cool.

I hope you get the fit issues sorted out.

:wave:

Exactly--the first and second GBU-38 slightly more than touch tail to nose. Either the Revell kit sway bars are a too close together, or the GBU-38s are too long. I'll be able to fake it with some repositioning, but still a little disappointing.

what paint did you use for F-15?

The base color for the aircraft is Model Master gunship gray (FS36118), with various panels lightened or darkened by adding white or black.

Like apples? How's about these apples!? :cheers: Fit check.

This is going to be the only time the weapons will be on until final assembly. Still need minor detail painting, decals and GPS dots, but overall passable. Note the GBU-12 seekers are canted for straight and level flight.

dscn4593.jpg

dscn4594o.jpg

All weapons are mounted with neo super magnets and wire pins to allow for safe transportation. The magnets really "click" the bombs in place nicely.

dscn4592.jpg

Edited by MarkW

Quick update. Started major panel wash on selected panels (around control surfaces, the horizontal hinge lines along the nose, etc) this morning. Plan is to do detail washes tomorrow to catch the larger fluid streaks seen around the tail and ailerons/flaps. Also need to dirty things up in the area behind the MLG doors. Decaled the 3 GBU-12s, those are essentially waiting for dull coat tomorrow. Still need a number on the GBU-31, and one of the drop tanks.

Edited by MarkW

Thanks. The magnets were pretty much just making sure there was alignment and the right polarity. I started with the AIMs, first by figuring out where the missiles sat on the rail. Then I mounted the first magnet where it would be hidden under the AIM-120 mid body fins. The opposing magnets in the rail fit in the rail channel, so all I had to do was drill at the right location (marked with a pencil from missile body to rail), then glue a 1/16" neo super magnet in place with CA gel glue. I did screw up the polarity once, which pretty much cost me a missile... The AIM-9Ms were a little easier since they only needed one magnet to lock in place. Since the rail covers the missile body, the magnet is completely hidden. For the bombs, I had to use 1/16" magnets on all the racks due to narrowness. I first put in narrow gage (I think 30 Ga) wire into the bomb bodies where they lined up with the front sway bars to help align them and prevent any rotation. I then mounted each bomb type to see where the curvature of the bomb case came closest to the rack. I marked that spot with a pen (washable) on the rack and the bomb, then mounted one magnet at each location. With my AIM practice I did OK, but one GBU-12 ended up "clicking" into place a little askew. The fix was a second wire pin through the rear sway bar, forcing alignment. The GBU-38 magnets don't actually touch the fuselage side magnet, but these little suckers are so strong the air gap isn't an issue. The GBU-31 was the heaviest of all, so I put an 3/16".super magnet on the bomb to snap onto the rack side smaller magnet. This worked perfectly--I did the scientific "vigorous shake test", and the bomb stayed put. Looking back, 2 magnets per AMRAAM was probably a bit much, but I wanted to make sure the stayed put horizontally.

No pics today, but began dullcoating the weapons and basically finished the wash using oils. Next up is cleanup/touch up, then flat coat the fuselage.

I have a week left…