italeri is pretty proud of their products...

It's the ERTL kit from many moons ago. It's pretty nifty, but like many Italeri kits, it s a lot of money. Justifiable to some, not to others. it DOES have better decals than the original issue tho.

Alvis 3.1

If you want one, there are often some floating around on eBay for a LOT less - I picked mine up for about $10!

One small note of caution, though. Yer man over on Cybermodeler points out that the original kit was made of softer plastic than Italeri's and so will need reinforcing to stop the wings sagging (well, obviously, it's - oh, you know what I mean :jaw-dropping: ). Whether that's forty quid's worth of caveat is up the buyer, I guess, but I have to say, this is one of the biggest gouges I've seen lately. And I'm the one who keeps posting messages saying "that's market forces, chaps"!

saw the yb-49 in 1/72 scale at hobby lobby today and got pretty pumped about it...until i saw the price at 71.99. :jaw-dropping:

and is that a re-pop of someone elses mold?

WOW! $70.00!! It does build into an impressive model, but that is a lot of $$$. I remember picking up several of them at Big Lots for $9.99 each. I wish I still had them in the stash. Don M.

Much of that price is the import tax passed on to the consumer by MRC.

Over here in Europe the Italeri boxing retails at €47, or some US$62 by todays exchange rate.

Cheers,

Andre

Over here in Europe the Italeri boxing retails at €47, or some US$62 by todays exchange rate.

Cheers,

Andre

Funny how with a lower VAT kits are usually more expensive in the Netherlands . 37.50 euro in Belgium ...

Besides it's a common thing that kits of European companies cost more in the US than here .

Stef

Funny how with a lower VAT kits are usually more expensive in the Netherlands . 37.50 euro in Belgium ...

Oh boy. As if your beers aren't enough reason to travel to Belgium on a regular basis... ;-)

Cheers,

Andre

saw the yb-49 in 1/72 scale at hobby lobby today and got pretty pumped about it...until i saw the price at 71.99. :thumbsup:

I suggest you let it collect dust until Hobby Lobby comes out with their 50% off cupon. They do this every few months. Then go buy it for $36.

HTH and God Bless,

Ken

I suggest you let it collect dust until Hobby Lobby comes out with their 50% off cupon. They do this every few months. Then go buy it for $36.

HTH and God Bless,

Ken

yep, that was my plan :thumbsup:

Italeri is PROUD of all their kits lately. They want $79 for the re-pop of AM B-25C/D.

Not sure what is going on with them...unless it has something to do with the importer, MRC.

Jeff

unless it has something to do with the importer, MRC.

Must have - YB-49 kit costs about 37 USD in Poland. B-25 is more expensive, but it is still only about $49. And these prices include Polish 22% VAT tax!

Pawel

Edited by Vodnik

One thing I found interesting is of the big plane kits reissued by Italeri recently, the least expensive of the lot was the biggest, the XB-70 Valkyrie. I recall it being a few dollars lower then the KC-135R, B-52 and the Flying Wings. So size of the kit doesn't dictate the price.

One thing I found interesting is of the big plane kits reissued by Italeri recently, the least expensive of the lot was the biggest, the XB-70 Valkyrie. I recall it being a few dollars lower then the KC-135R, B-52 and the Flying Wings. So size of the kit doesn't dictate the price.

yeah, i picked the xb-70 up at sprue brothers for just under 50...so im somewhat at a loss on these prices

All I can think is that someone in marketing is seeing how much they are fetching on Ebay, and seeing how much the other model companies are selling their kits for, and figures that models must be some uber hot commodity, and has priced their kits accordingly.

I just don't think they realize how much work those kits require, and that it will hurt them once again. They might be worth 30-40 each but not the inflated prices with such fundamental errors those kits have.

saw the yb-49 in 1/72 scale at hobby lobby today and got pretty pumped about it...until i saw the price at 71.99. :coolio:

and is that a re-pop of someone elses mold?

Anyone wonder why, when the prices started through the roof last year oil was approaching $150.00 a barrel, and now its about $40.00, but prices are still up there? And as long as we are willing to buy they will stay up. I for one don't buy Trumpeter anymore, but I don't think I can get it done by myself.

Mike

Anyone wonder why, when the prices started through the roof last year oil was approaching $150.00 a barrel, and now its about $40.00, but prices are still up there?

That has always been the case - price increases are legitimized by pointing at high oil prices, but they never seem to be lowered ever again...

Cheers,

Andre

Not sure what is going on with them...unless it has something to do with the importer, MRC.

The halfway joking/serious answer I read was that MRC was determined to kill the market for Italeri kits in the US, at this rate they're pretty close.

I remember back when Testor was the importer and the Italeri prices were in line with other manufacturer's kits of the same size and scale.

Ken

You will be waiting a while for that Hobby Lobby coupon. They haven't offered 50 percent off on plastic kits in 2 years. I can only imagine legions of penny-pinching modelers printing off sheets of those coupons and emptying the shelves until HL stopped the coupon. You can still get the 40 percent off anything coupon, although their list prices sometimes seem about $10 more than other places.