1/48 Accurate Miniatures TBM-1C Avenger

Gonna build this one out of the box...unless I come across some sort of aftermarket item along the way. I'll be dressing her up as George Bush's aircraft.

Some shots of opening the box. I plan on starting construction tomorrow.

Avenger064.jpg

Avenger065.jpg

SLICK

Another update from today. I'm really enjoying this kit. The parts detail is nice, the fit is almost perfect (rivals that of some of Tamiya's best IMHO)...I'll have very little filling and sanding that I know of. I completed the engine today, OOB, but if I ever build another one of these I'll probably invest in a resin set of parts. Anyway, here are the pics:

Avenger_4004.jpg

Avenger_4013.jpg

Avenger_4016.jpg

Avenger_4019.jpg

Dry fitting the wings.

Avenger_4018.jpg

SLICK

looking really good! for future reference if you build one of these again, the forward crew area would have been bronze green on the earlier models like this one. great looking engine there too

Thanks Jay! I wondered about the bronze green color. The instructions (which I understand aren't always very accurate) didn't show a bronze green area for the internal colors, but I looked at a different build and some photos and found either bronze green or the zinc color. I wasn't sure, so I figured it would be easier to go with the single color. If I build one of these again I'll probably look a little more into accuracy. Thanks for the tip!

SLICK

I can see this one's gonna be nice when it's done. And neat way to hold those small bits for paint :lol:

Ken

I agree with Ken on your part holders - neat trick. I'll be trying that on my current build.

I also have the Avenger kit but haven't built up the nerve to tackle it. Every build I see looks so good- yours included, but I've been out of the hobby for a long while and am very out of practice.

Nice work!

Fred

It is an oddity of AM avenger instructions. Their -1C instructions make no mention of Bronze Green, yet their -3 instructions do call out for Bronze Green, even though the -1C was more likely to be found with Bronze Green than the -3, especially any TBM-3s which would almost certainly have an all interior green crew area since they were from GM instead of Grumman.

A bit of an update. The most noticeable changes are the assembly of the horizontal stabilizers and the wings and horizontals glued in place. However, I have also filled the area around the cowling attach seem, and rescribed a few rivets in that area. Other than that there was almost no filling and sanding, just a few touch ups. I also assembled the turret and masked the clear parts with the kit supplied masks.

Avenger_5021.jpg

Avenger_5022.jpg

SLICK

• 5 weeks later...

I am finally able to post another update...and a big one at that. I have finally had time to buy some paint and was able to complete all the base painting both yesterday and today. The next update will be a future coat and decals. I plan on trying the salt weathering on this model. We will see how that goes. Now for some pics:

Avenger_paint078.jpg

Avenger_paint080.jpg

Avenger_paint081.jpg

Avenger_paint085.jpg

SLICK

Another major update. The past two days I have been weathering using the slat crystal technique found here: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...altydog/00.shtm

I'm fairly happy with the results. To be honest with you though, the weathering took too long for the results I achieved (I used enamels rather than the specified acrylics in the article). I'm not sure if I will use this technique in the future...maybe just to see if I can add my own twist get some better results. Also, this technique is pretty difficult...especially with the three tone color scheme. If the aircraft were just two colors top and bottom, this would be a lot easier. The only problem is that my final future coat afterward nearly erased any trace of the weathering on the dark blue...a few hours wasted IMHO. Another issue I had was that the salt actually started eating away the future coat I applied before weathering. It took a while because the future was fairly thick, but by the time I got to the final layer of weathering I was almost to the base coat color in some areas. Anyway, some pics from today.

AvengerWeathering036.jpg

AvengerWeathering038.jpg

AvengerWeathering039.jpg

AvengerWeathering040.jpg

AvengerWeathering041.jpg

AvengerWeathering044.jpg

AvengerWeathering047.jpg

Thanks for looking! Only a couple horus of work remaining!

SLICK

WOW an amazing build !!!

I have this exact kit, and have been looking forward to working on it.

I plan on doing mine in the Atlantic colors scheme. I also have the SBD,

and have just finished the Helldiver. I want to have the trio in the Atlantic Theme.

Here is a link to my finished Helldiver...

Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Helldiver

Thanks all for the comments! You'll be happy to know that the Avenger is now complete. I only have these two teaser photos for now (I ran out of light for more pictures), but tomorrow I'll take more detail photos and post them.

AvngerFinished1002.jpg

AvngerFinished1006.jpg

SLICK