Spitfire Mk.IX - Israeli airforce

I've had tihs little kit knocking around on the bench for a couple of months. I'd probably devote more time to it except it's a horrible kit - I know, I've built one before.

Although the panel lines are quite nice:

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

the fit of the lower wing and air intake is just crap, necessitating all kinds of shaving off plastic in some parts and lots of filler in others:

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

I will be applying for Mr. Surfacer to try and even this out, especially as this is going to be alcladded.

Ho-hum - on we plod.

Whose kit is it?

Italeri's. I am only using it because when I picked up the kit from Hannant's 2nd hand shelf a couple of years ago, there were, to my surprise, 2 sets of sprues in the box. Waste not want not.

On with the anti-glare panel:

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Colour call out simply says black. I used Humbrol just lightened a bit with white. thoguh you wouldn't know it from the pics.

Decals were supplied for the rudder, but they didn't look long enough to cover the pointy version rudder, so I just painted the stripes on:

IMG_0213.jpg

I admire your modelling, but I must point some issues. First, which variant are you doing? AFAIK Israeli Spitfires were Mk.IXe. Italeri kit is Mk.IXc (with many inaccuracies). If I'm right, you should remove traces of .303 guns (rectangles on the leading edge and shell outlets) and move 20 mm cannons outboard, leaving .50 guns inboard. However, better starting point for Mk.IXe is the old KP kit (despite of its raised panel lines).

Most of surface should be rescrebed according to drawings. Notice lack of hatch on starboard side of rear fuselage and wing-fuselage fairing line. Panel lines depicting aux fuel tanks in front of main landing gear bays should be removed (they are OK for Mk.VIII, not Mk.IX). Shape of underwing coolers is totally wrong. Upper engine cover needs reshaping to get it higher and broader.

Nowadays I'm working on my early Mk.IXc - look here. I replaced the coolers, guns and propeller with Pavla resin and improved panel lines. It's not perfect, but at least some major issues were corrected.

IMG_2173.jpg

Edited by rav_pl

Hi Rav

I appreciate your your advice and bow to your superior knowledge of the subject. However, I should warn you that I am primarily an out-of-the-box modeller and to be perfectly honest, I am not overly concerned about the accuracy of this build (particularly as it's such as a poor fit).

I am really using this to practice my alcadding skills, as it's the first time I've used it.

I had a look at your build - it looks fabulous!

Thanks again.

Edited by Maxidad
Hi Rav

I appreciate your your advice and bow to your superior knowledge of the subject. However, I should warn you that I am primarily an out-of-the-box modeller and to be perfectly honest, I am not overly concerned about the accuracy of this build (particularly as it's such as a poor fit).

Thanks again.

Don't worry Maxidad, the Israelis flew quite a few Mk IXc Spitfires, at least half the number they got from Italy were the IXc model. They also captured Egyption IXc and recovered scrapped RAF IXc Spitfires. This suited the Israelis as they had large stocks of .303 ammo. Although I understand that they quite often removed the .303 guns and just used the cannon. At least one Spitfire Mk.IXc survived long enough to be sold on to Burma in 1955!

Your Spit is looking really nice. Keep the pictures coming. :banana:

Don't worry Maxidad, the Israelis flew quite a few Mk IXc Spitfires, at least half the number they got from Italy were the IXc model. They also captured Egyption IXc and recovered scrapped RAF IXc Spitfires. This suited the Israelis as they had large stocks of .303 ammo. Although I understand that they quite often removed the .303 guns and just used the cannon. At least one Spitfire Mk.IXc survived long enough to be sold on to Burma in 1955!

Your Spit is looking really nice. Keep the pictures coming. :thumbsup:

Hey Tonto - your words are very encouraging - thanks! When I referred to the Ventura decal sheet I am using, this particular a/c is indeed a IXc, not e (although other options on the sheet are for the e version). Yep, those Israelis just used whatever they could get their hands on - a perfect example of make-do-and-mend.

Last night I had another session on this and covered quite a lot of ground. I coloured alclad with a couple of drops of black to darken it and resprayed some masked off panels to give a bit variation in tone. I am quite pleased with the result, even though I darkened it a bit too much on some of the underside panels. Even got the decals on. Pictures later tonight.

Edited by Maxidad

Just snapped these:

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

The decals didn't go on too badly, but as you see they're not so opaque. You can see my attempt at colouring the alclad. It's a bit dark on the lower sides. But -ho hum- I am not a perfectionist.

I've now slit the decals along the panel lines and I'll keep applying setting solution. Next step - a wash. Hmm oils or Promodellers wash? Decisions, decisions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I won a raffle prize. :thumbsup: (The other threads are blocked so I'll post my thanks here).

Thanks very much for running this GB - it was a lot of fun.

I have to admit, I think there were a lot of builds much nicer than mine. Still, I did put quite a bit of effort into this little kit, so I accept the prize with grateful thanks and say well done to all the participants.

Cheers

Maxidad