Rumourmongering for fun and (no) profit

Over on HS there is a belch of a rumour that Tamiya is readying an assault on your wallets and display

cases.

Phantoms in 48th.....no subtypes....no prices....no confirmation.

Also a 32nd P-51 is rumoured on LSP http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20799

(same rumourmonger...not me though)

Could be why Eduard has been quiet about thier Phantom line lately (or at least I have seen no news)

Discuss....

Matt

Which molds are Eduard going to use, because iirc they don't actually produce their own molds right?

Rick

Supposedly Eduard is doing the F-4 series starting with the B. As in all things, we'll have to wait and see.
Edited by madmanrick
Which molds are Eduard going to use, because iirc they don't actually produce their own molds right?

Where did you hear that? Not at all true. Eduard occasionally boxes someone else's kit with their decals and accessories (Airfix Spit 22/24 for instance), but most of their kits are 100% theirs, and in fact, they're pushing the state of the art in many ways. All the hooplah recently with their new 1/32 Bf109E - it's all Eduard.

J

Ok, I just was aware of the kits like the Spitfire and the Lightning they did that were re-boxes, but I wasn't aware that they were also doing their own molds! I hope they do the Phantoms then, we sure do need some new ones!

Rick

Actually they do and some very fine ones at that.

Starting with the B? Crap! I just Dremeled off the buldges on my J wing. Well, I might as well press on. It might be awhile before the Eduard ones hit the shelf anyway. By then I'll have my B done for my Enterprise airwing.

Edited by Darren Roberts

*YAWN* Wow another F-4 and P-51. How original!?! I'm sorry, but there are tons of subjects out there that have either never been touched or the kits that exist aren't worth the time and money. Truth is I'm only working on 1/32 scales now; but I just don't see a demand for these 2 subjects, that is new kits. I would rather see a good quality Su, MiG, Tu, EF2K, etc, than another Mustang or Phantom. That's just my opinion. I'm hoping that Tamiya will make a 1/32 F-16B/D that can converted to an F-16I; but I'm not holding my breath.

just my 0.02

Well I think that the Eduard F-4 is something worth waiting for. I want a B/N and C/D with scribed panel lines and no conversion! I know some yawn at the prospect of more phantoms, but this is a legitimate need in my opinion.

Over on HS there is a belch of a rumour that Tamiya is readying an assault on your wallets and display

cases.

Phantoms in 48th.....no subtypes....no prices....no confirmation.

Also a 32nd P-51 is rumoured on LSP http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=20799

(same rumourmonger...not me though)

Could be why Eduard has been quiet about thier Phantom line lately (or at least I have seen no news)

Discuss....

Matt

Waffle and speculation.Jennings was right.

Stephen

*YAWN* Wow another F-4 and P-51. How original!?! I'm sorry, but there are tons of subjects out there that have either never been touched or the kits that exist aren't worth the time and money. Truth is I'm only working on 1/32 scales now; but I just don't see a demand for these 2 subjects, that is new kits. I would rather see a good quality Su, MiG, Tu, EF2K, etc, than another Mustang or Phantom. That's just my opinion. I'm hoping that Tamiya will make a 1/32 F-16B/D that can converted to an F-16I; but I'm not holding my breath.

just my 0.02

Well, just from my point of view, a new B/N is needed. The hasegawa offering is very dated and has a few errors, primarly being the under nose sensor being out of scale and throwing the whole profile out of wack. Not a big deal to some and depending on the scheme you build it, but when you're going to make a SunDowners jet, its a big deal!

If Tamiya are going to do 1/48 Phantoms, it would suit me FINE - BUT, and that's a BIIIIIIIIG BUT - they would REALLY have to re-work the 1/32 kit significantly to make it a better model. There are a lot of gotchas with that big kit, all of the battle damage plates that shouldn't be there, ill fitting parts - HORRIBLE intakes, etc. etc. etc.

Quite frankly I'd rather Eduard do it at this point, and given the choice between a 1/48 Tamiya re-scale, and the existing Hasegawa option - I'd be all over the Hasegawa kit. Much like their F-16, it just ain't that bad.

Intriguing news. P-51 makes sense too - really wish it was a Corsair, but I get why they'd do a Mustang.