bradley question

I'm working on a bradley ambulance sort of build. Basically, the inside is cleaned out with a few stretchers and the turret is deleted. Once I removed the turret, I sliced off the top of the turret (the roof with both hatches) to pretty much cover the big hole in the top of the vehicle.

I feel kinda dumb for asking this, but what's that box on the top of the turret? In the pic, it's the box with the "glass face" just in front of the guy holding his boom mic. -sorry for the non-technical terms, Is this used for sighting targets? Just wondering because if I deleted the main gun, would this piece of equipment be removed. --I'm looking to be accurate with my hypothetical model hehehehehe

Also there's what looks to be a "periscope" just to the right of the box. What's that? take it off also?

6bradley001.jpg

Thanks,

John

Thats the gunners primary sight housing for the day/thermal sights. I'm not seeing the 'periscope' to the right of the side housing. For an ambulance with the gun removed, the turret would be unnecessary.

At one time I had planned a simplified Bradley APC "Battlefield bus" like he M113, and I removed the entire turret. If I were you I would do the same thing for an ambulance. The turret makes up a lot of the weight and cost of the Bradley, and takes up a lot of internal space, because its turret basket extends down into the hull to the floor. With the gun removed, theres really no need for a turret. A simple commanders hatch and maybe another for other crew members would be all that would be needed. Removing the turret would provide more internal space for wounded or equipment. I had also thought of mountiing more basic weapon stations, such as the Cadillac Cage turret used on the AAV-7, or the remote weapons station sold by AFV club and used on the Stryker.

Edited by JasonB
Thats the gunners primary sight housing for the day/thermal sights. I'm not seeing the 'periscope' to the right of the side housing. For an ambulance with the gun removed, the turret would be unnecessary.

At one time I had planned a simplified Bradley APC "Battlefield bus" like he M113, and I removed the entire turret. If I were you I would do the same thing for an ambulance. The turret makes up a lot of the weight and cost of the Bradley, and takes up a lot of internal space, because its turret basket extends down into the hull to the floor. With the gun removed, theres really no need for a turret. A simple commanders hatch and maybe another for other crew members would be all that would be needed. Removing the turret would provide more internal space for wounded or equipment. I had also thought of mountiing more basic weapon stations, such as the Cadillac Cage turret used on the AAV-7, or the remote weapons station sold by AFV club and used on the Stryker.

The whole turret is gone on this one. I also removed the basket inside. Instead of the basket, I added an extra seat for a medic and the 2 stretchers on that side extend up about halfway to where the turret basket was. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

I've got an idea to do a Bradley like that also. I want to get one of the original M2 kits and do the top like a M113 ACAV. I think it'd work :)

John

The whole turret is gone on this one. I also removed the basket inside. Instead of the basket, I added an extra seat for a medic and the 2 stretchers on that side extend up about halfway to where the turret basket was. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

I've got an idea to do a Bradley like that also. I want to get one of the original M2 kits and do the top like a M113 ACAV. I think it'd work :jaw-dropping:

John

OK, got it now. I missed the part where you were using the turret top to fill the hole in the hull. The way I read it was that you were removing the detail off the top of the turret but leaving the turret in place. DOH! Basically all you would want to have is the commanders and gunners hatches with the small periscopes that go around them.

I think it would also be cool to mount the turret from the AFV Club Stryker with mobile gun system. I was thinking of possible versions marketed to other countries as a more basic APC. The turret from the Tamiya German Marder ICV also came to mind. Many possibilities.

Many, many years ago, when the Bradely kits were still new, I had the idea of replacing the TOW missiles on the turret with stingers. Years later that became a real configuration, so maybe something like the MGS on Bradley might come to be as well.

Here's what I've got so far. The interior is pretty much done, I'm just going to throw some rolled up blankets inside and a few canteens.

There are some seams behind the two hatches, but I'm going to attach some bags or something to cover them up.

CIMG1743.jpg

CIMG1742.jpg

CIMG1744.jpg

CIMG1745.jpg

CIMG1748.jpg

What is this? Is it a charge or a container for fire blanket or something? I think it came with the bradley kit or with an abrams.

CIMG1752.jpg

John

Greetings,

There is a nice photo Here of what you are building.

Crap~ I had no idea these existed. From what I found though, there was a prototype built but I couldn't find anything on followup units. Thanks though, one of these will be next in line.

hmmmm, well since I'm almost done with this one, in John's alternate history, those cost too much so the army scraped the "raising the roof" idea and just went with a simplified version that just involved removing the turret. There are 3 litters instead of 4 with the same amount of room for ambulatory casualties.

John

What is this? Is it a charge or a container for fire blanket or something? I think it came with the bradley kit or with an abrams.

CIMG1752.jpg

John

It is a container. I couldn't say what they were originally for, maybe a explosive round container but what kind of round I have no idea. It is too small to be for modern tank rounds, too small to be for an AT missile. I never saw anything like that on the ammo pad. But what would I know I'm just an old Scout. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone knew what they were really for. None of them I saw had any markings on them at all.

When I was attached to S3 we used a few of them to roll old maps up into for storage (if they were smaller maps). In Germany when my unit moved to CONUS we threw about 100 of them in the scrap bin. They first tried to crush them with an M1A1 but that barely put a dent in them. They sure are heavy duty tough! What ever they really are, yours looks just like one. Sorry I could not be of more help.

BTW, the Bradley doesn't have a laser range finder...that is, at least they didn't back in my day.

Dave Shaw

Edited by Dave Shaw

The item in your image is supposed to represent a 1/35th scale propellant container for the bag charges used in separate loading artillery pieces such as the 155mm or 203mm howitzers. Verlinden and others have offered these things in resin. AFV Club includes a set of these things with their M548 Tracked Cargo Carrier and they are avilable for sale as a separate accessory item that includes the 155mm and 203mm projectiles with projectile storage pallets.

Edited by jeffryfontaine
The item in your image is supposed to represent a 1/35th scale propellant container for the bag charges used in separate loading artillery pieces such as the 155mm or 203mm howitzers. Verlinden and others have offered these things in resin. AFV Club includes a set of these things with their M548 Tracked Cargo Carrier and they are avilable for sale as a separate accessory item that includes the 155mm and 203mm projectiles with projectile storage pallets.

Must have gotten it in a bag of armor accessories that a friend sent me a while back. Otherwise I have no idea how I got those :thumbsup:

Threw a bunch of stowage on my Bradley last night. I put up some more pics later today.

Thanks guys,

John

Thanks a bunch guys :) Weathering was done using pastels. First time I've tried them and I think I'm hooked. Super easy to work with and if you mess up, a wet cloth takes it all off.

Ya know fish, a hemtt with a SA-2 on the back wouldn't be too hard to pull off. hehehe It would be alot of fun to burn up the rear of the truck from all of the rocket blast. gonna have to try that.

John