Italeri KC-135R question

For those who have purchased Italeri's KC-135(which I think is a rep-release of the AMT version?) did this particular kit come with an extendable boom that can be displayed in the stowed or refuel position? Thanks in advance.

For those who have purchased Italeri's KC-135(which I think is a rep-release of the AMT version?) did this particular kit come with an extendable boom that can be displayed in the stowed or refuel position? Thanks in advance.

I made the Heller boxing about 6 years ago and IIRC it had an extendable boom but don't quote me on that.

AMT kit (the only one there has ever been or will ever be in 1/72), and yes, the boom can be extended. Note that if you're going to show the boom deployed and extended, you need to fold up the movable portion of the boom pod to expose the boomer's windscreen inside. That's not catered for in the kit, and will require some surgery and some scratch building.

J

Edited by Jennings
I don't have the Italeri boxing, but all 5 of the AMT boxings I own include the option for an extended boom.

HTH

Jonah

The Italeri repop is the same plastic, so you can be assured that the booms will be as per the AMT/Heller boxings (of which I have one of each).

I will check them when I get home.

:D

I will check them when I get home.

No need. It's all the same plastic regardless of whose box it's in. Nobody has made any changes to the tooling. It just gets leased around.

J

^ Not entirely true. Heller tooled the wingtip drogues and second belly duct on a new sprue. Not strictly a change to the tooling, but different nonetheless. It'd be interesting to know whether Italeri include those parts, actually (or who 'owns' that small, new, sub-sprue).

But still, the fundamental point stands. It doesn't matter which box the kit comes in, you're still getting the same basic plastic that AMT tooled.

AMT kit (the only one there has ever been or will ever be in 1/72), and yes, the boom can be extended. Note that if you're going to show the boom deployed and extended, you need to fold up the movable portion of the boom pod to expose the boomer's windscreen inside. That's not catered for in the kit, and will require some surgery and some scratch building.

J

Any chance of a photo of that?

Ive never seen it deployed in flight.

J

Yes I'm aware of that, though the boom can be extended in the stowed state while the aircraft is on the ground without opening the sighting shield.

^ Not entirely true. Heller tooled the wingtip drogues and second belly duct on a new sprue. Not strictly a change to the tooling, but different nonetheless. It'd be interesting to know whether Italeri include those parts, actually (or who 'owns' that small, new, sub-sprue).

But still, the fundamental point stands. It doesn't matter which box the kit comes in, you're still getting the same basic plastic that AMT tooled.

Also not entirely true - the wingtip refuelling pod and belly scoop parts in the Heller C-135FR were actually added onto the original AMT engine sprues, not a separate 'sub-sprue'....

....As that involved changes to the tooling, I suspect they're also in the Italeri boxing - which does include decals for a Mildenhall bird, some of which carried wingtip HDUs....

....Incidentally, as the two 'new' engine/pod sprues were identical, you actually got TWO belly intakes, so one can be used on another model - mine's going onto an EC-135E ARIA....

Andy

Edited by andyf117

Really? I could have sworn they were on their own, but it's been a while since I built mine, so I'll certainly defer to you on that one.

It'd be interesting to know who paid for the parts then, and how that altered the deal for lending the tooling out to Heller. Did Heller have to pay to lease the tooling AND cut the pods? Do they get a percentage on the lease to Italeri? This hobby gets ever more complicated all the time... B)

Really? I could have sworn they were on their own, but it's been a while since I built mine, so I'll certainly defer to you on that one.

It'd be interesting to know who paid for the parts then, and how that altered the deal for lending the tooling out to Heller. Did Heller have to pay to lease the tooling AND cut the pods? Do they get a percentage on the lease to Italeri? This hobby gets ever more complicated all the time... :)

The main pod halves were added to one end of the CFM engine sprues, and the smaller parts - drogue 'basket', intake duct and fin ECM fairing - were placed within the main body area....

....Heller certainly made what appeared to be permanent changes to the original AMT mouldings for both the KC-135 and C-135FR issues - along with the items above, they added a 'cut here' recess outline in the wing centre section for the second intake duct, and the cockpit 'crown' also had a 'bump' added to it, with an instruction note for it to be filed off for the KC-135 (in which the instructions also show the intake duct to be fitted for the French F version - but the part itself (314) isn't anywhere on the sprues in my kit!).

As the Italeri release includes decals for a French aircraft, again, I suspect the parts remain the same as in the Heller version....

....By the way, if anyone has the Italeri issue and doesn't need the decals for the Mildenhall bird, I can certainly use them!

Andy

Edited by andyf117
I plan on using Twobobs decals on mine, so you can have the Italeri markings. I will probably need the stencils though

Thank you very much - PM sent....

Edited by andyf117
  • 4 weeks later...
I plan on using Twobobs decals on mine, so you can have the Italeri markings. I will probably need the stencils though

Having received the Mildenhall bird kit decals section (Thanks to jwest21!), I can't believe Italeri managed to get them wrong, but they did!

The instructions say the scheme dates from 2007, but the decals are actually for 63-8017 as it appeared with 'The Latest Rumor' noseart at RIAT 1998 (the aircraft itself was assigned to the 97th AMW in 2007)!

Two 100th ARW badges supplied, but for the starboard side it should be a USAFE one....

The 'Square D' tail marking is indeed square, when it should be slightly taller than it is wide....

The crest on the fin stripes should be the old European Tanker Task Force (ETTF) one (my avatar!) - they've used the correct design, but replaced the wording with 'Royal Air Force Station Mildenhall' and put the station motto 'Ut Aquilae Volent' in the scroll underneath where 'RAF Mildenhall' should be!

I'm personally not too unhappy, as I expected the markings to be current type with the RAFM station crest, but instead, apart from the wording (which hopefully I can change), I've now got ETTF tail flashes as carried when I worked at Mildenhall - but anyone wishing to accurately depict a current or recent 100th bird will have to obtain the WolfPak sheet (as will I, probably, unless someone doesn't need the Mildenhall part of theirs!)....

Andy

Edited by andyf117

KCandRC-1.jpg

Any chance of a photo of that?

Ive never seen it deployed in flight.

here are a couple pictures that might help. These were taken while I was fliying the RC-135S "Cobra Ball". I'm not at home and don't have access to all my 135 pics but if you contact me off line ( bradebau@netzero.net ) when I get home I might have some other pictures showing the boom sighting door open inflight. In order to refuel other aircraft the boom sighting door has to be open, so, any inflight refueling diorama would involve opening the door. Also, with the door open, you can see the flat window that the boom operator is looking through to make the contact between the two aircraft.