• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou both, kind gentledudes.

Update: it's sitting under coat #1:

190809002.jpg

I found the Gunze midnight too gray for comfort, equally the Humbrol too blue:

Hence I stripped off the Gunze using my friend the White Spirit. Mixed some black with the Humbrol (maybe a LITTLE too much - may cut the next batch with some more blue)

Bad mistake.

White spirit does not like Hasegawa plastic, so it would seem. The tail crumbled away on me:

190809005.jpg

Now being fixed (I thought it was sorted, actually, but it shows through the paint)

190809008.jpg

Bash on... whistle.gif

Lucky the white spirit didn't eat away more of your plane sir!

I've used Agama acrylics for the ANA 607 and 608 colors! Looks pretty good, although the ANA 607 perhaps is a tad too dark!

Otherwise they are very nice to work with and easy to airbrush!

Seems like there isn't much interest in this GB as the comments are few and far apart!

Cheers, and good luck with your build!

HÃ¥kan

Man i would have never guessed that WS would do that kind of damage. I think in the tools and tips forum there is something pinned about lacquer thinner been very safe on styrene..

But look at it on the bright side it looks like battle damage !(on the second pic)

sorry im always looking for the positive side of a nightmare!!

Cheers

Neo

Azgaron: I don't care - I have quality people reading my rubbish :thumbsup:

El Pibe Vitina: no, that was coat #1. Here's a somewhat embarrassing picture that shows the two:

190809011.jpg

The horrible runny mess on the right is the Gunze (I did get it down, I think it took issue with the washing-up liquid I used as pre-paint wash) The cowl on the left is Humbrol 15 and...it's too blue for me...

Man i would have never guessed that WS would do that kind of damage. I think in the tools and tips forum there is something pinned about lacquer thinner been very safe on styrene..

Neo - I wouldn't go near polystyrene with cellulose thinner. I just thought ye white spirit was safe. Live and learn. And, alas, Minsi III was quite well looked after so I need to sort it (seems...OK at present :))

Patrick

I think it was a bad week for paint all together. I painted a truck (real one) this week, and it didn't look half that good. I think the paint gods are pissy, or something like that....

CH

Azgaron: I don't care - I have quality people reading my rubbish :thumbsup:

Patrick

Good for you sir! :woot.gif: I hope I'm included among them! And please call me HÃ¥kan, everyone else does! :)

I do care though! :)

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

• 3 weeks later...

Right - slow progress:

050909001.jpg

We're at the point where every task completed generates another related task elsewhere :moai:

Next: we need to clear off all the fur, decal glue etc without dislodging all the eeny tiny stencils. A veritable challenge! Then gloss coat, maybe semi-matt over that (gloss doesn't look quite right to me on models under 32nd), weathering, re-making bits that have fallen off etc etc...

Patrick

170909b001.jpg

I haz hellkitteh!

170909015.jpg

170909002.jpg

170909001.jpg

170909014.jpg

170909007.jpg

170909006.jpg

170909018.jpg

Many thanks to all, this was a really fun build! In addition to the several wildkittehs, bearkittehs and tigerkittehs that have come my way as a result of this build, another two hellkittehs (Eduard and Airfix) are now in my possession. This aircraft (and its siblings) are an impressive and surprisingly charismatic bunch!

We now return you to your normal programme (as I rapidly pack for holiday :D)

Patrick

Wow looks great !! you managed to save it and make it look awesome!

quick question : what is the color code and brand used. i just got a 1/32 size and im doing the Blue angels version and its exactly the same color!

Thanks

Neo

Enjoy your holiday

(When I look at the date from the last post that might be history)

It's done - I'm back, relaxed, refreshed and trying to cope with a lack of tropical heat and free cocktails. Shall we meet on DoTR? As soon as I throw the jet-lag I'm game on for it :monkeydance:

Thanks to all respondents for the very nice comments (blush.) The camera did me some favours!

quick question : what is the color code and brand used. i just got a 1/32 size and im doing the Blue angels version and its exactly the same color!

Sorry both this is late and I can't be exact - it's roughly 1 part Humbrol matt-33 (black) enamel into 7 parts Humbrol gloss-15 Midnight Blue. Seems to be a fine line (which the pictures I have appear to echo) between a very bluish black and an extremely dark blue. I spent a certain amount of time running mixes of these two past both my long-suffering wife and equally long suffering friend Mel Sharkskin (of this Board.) I think they may have got close to exasperation before it was done but I think the colour resulting is all right. Not, of course that I'll admit to the varnish coats bringing out the blue at the last moment :doh:

Best, all...