Your favorite Mom'n Pop Hobby Shop

With the way our world is changing, who can name some really great little shops that are still in business!!? Maybe shops that have ten year old dust bunnies and the classic old goldmine of knowledge behind the counter who has seen it all...?

• 2 weeks later...

In the 20+ some odd years since I got back into the hobby, the best Poppa (not sure there is a Momma) shop that I have ever been to bar none is Chris Merseal's CRM Hobbies in St. Louis, Missouri. Since I was last at his store, he has moved to a larger shop, but when I was there last he had kits stacked floor to ceiling and he had a whole wall of aftermarket. The only thing that I felt sorry about when I left his store was the fac that I had to leave and couldn't stay there longer. Oh and by the way, his mailorder business is one of the best in the hobby. Check him out!

Gran Poppa Chris

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Edited by SonyKen
  • 3 weeks later...

Air Support Hobbies in Kitchener Ontario. Frederick Street at Simeon.

Ed bought this old fish store some 15 years ago, still smells like a fish store. But best prices by far in the area.

Tom,

As coincidence as it would be for a fellow from Alabama, I have been to both stores, and I whole heartedly agree with you. Both places I could stay for hours in and spend a whole lotta money. :cheers: Both of them are Beetle Bailey approved. :rolleyes:

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Hey Ken,

Just wanted to let you know that if your Saturday, May 30, is free come on up to the Memphis King Con show. Chris from CRM will be vending with his traveling aftermarket extravaganza and we have a great ma and pa store in Mid South Hobbies that is well worth a visit if you are in town.

Details can be found at:

www.ipmsmemphis.com

Regards,

Scott Doyle

Tom,

As coincidence as it would be for a fellow from Alabama, I have been to both stores, and I whole heartedly agree with you. Both places I could stay for hours in and spend a whole lotta money. :thumbsup: Both of them are Beetle Bailey approved. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Scott,

I have always made it a point NEVER to miss King Con. Right now I am working an outage at our friendly neighborhood nuclear plant and this Saturday is "iffy" at best. There has been three extensions to this outage and many don't know exactly when it is going to end. If it ends in time, I will be there. Thanks for the invite.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Hey Ken,

Just wanted to let you know that if your Saturday, May 30, is free come on up to the Memphis King Con show. Chris from CRM will be vending with his traveling aftermarket extravaganza and we have a great ma and pa store in Mid South Hobbies that is well worth a visit if you are in town.

Details can be found at:

www.ipmsmemphis.com

Regards,

Scott Doyle

Edited by SonyKen

Don's Hobby Shop in Mankato, MN was the coolest old style hobby shop. It was in the downtown mall, then moved out to a larger store before recently closing. The old store downtown had a really cool "feel" to it. Planes hanging from the ceiling and a certain "modelling smell" about it. They carried everything from trains, rockets, slot cars, models, r/c planes, boats and cars! Coolest of the cool!

RG

I love going to Skyway Models in Renton, WA. Sure, it's a bit out of my way....about a 30 minute drive.....and despite other shops being closer, Skyway can't be beat for selection. Whether you are looking for that hot new tool super kit, or an old hard to find Monogram kit from the 70s...chances are you will find it at Skyway. And the owner is a wheeler and dealer, so you can usually walk out of there with very good deals.

Hal's Hobby Warehouse on the east side of El Paso, TX on Bessemer is #1 for me and I hit that joint every time I'm in the area. I also have fond memories of Hobby Oasis when it was in Atlantic Beach, FL on Atlantic Blvd next to Kmart. They have since moved several times to it's current location on Beach Blvd, but they don't carry a lot of kits anymore.

Earls Hobby Hanger in Logan, Utah. They have the best selection and prices in the area. The only downside is that Logan is a good 60 mile drive from Salt Lake City. Fortunatly the owners usually make it to the local model club meeting, and always bring plenty of goods for me to spend my money on. Second place for the SLC area would go to West Valley Hobbies in West Valley. Third would be Frequency RC in Roy, and the once mighty Douglas Models I would rank a very distant fourth (insane kit prices, and almost no selection of supplies). All others don't even show up on my radar. FWIW, Fred K.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
In the 20+ some odd years since I got back into the hobby, the best Poppa (not sure there is a Momma) shop that I have ever been to bar none is Chris Merseal's CRM Hobbies in St. Louis, Missouri. Since I was last at his store, he has moved to a larger shop, but when I was there last he had kits stacked floor to ceiling and he had a whole wall of aftermarket. The only thing that I felt sorry about when I left his store was the fac that I had to leave and couldn't stay there longer. Oh and by the way, his mailorder business is one of the best in the hobby. Check him out!

Gran Poppa Chris

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

I'll put my vote in for these two as well! Although, I have to lean more towards Top Shelf as I can get up there more often and quicker than I can CRM. But, whenever I am spoiling the grandkids in St. Louis I ALWAYS make time to spoil myself with a side trip to CRM!! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Gran Poppa Chris

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

I have to luck, or maybe the misfortune :), of living a mere 5 minutes from CRM. It is by far my favorite shop.

With the way our world is changing, who can name some really great little shops that are still in business!!? Maybe shops that have ten year old dust bunnies and the classic old goldmine of knowledge behind the counter who has seen it all...?

Hayes Hobby House in Fayetteville, NC. Run by Mom & Pop & Son. They literally have a jewelery case full of Cutting Edge resin. Walked in a couple of weeks ago and found an Eduard Profi Pack Bell X-1 I'd been searching for for months on eBay. Very friendly and knowledgeable, been around about 40 or so years IIRC.

There's 1 that would qualify as a mom and pop store....

Van Nieuwenhuijzen modelbouw in Rotterdam (The Netherlands), run by 2 brothers (there mom used to be in the store but I haven't seen her in ages...

Nice small shop, friendly poeple behind the counter..

Harald

ps there'probably more of these in the Netherlands (anyone here know more of these stores let me know).

• 6 months later...

I'll have to add Wild Bills in Irving Texas.

One of the oddest Mom and Pop's was Ma and Pa Kittles in Barberton OH. Now gone for at least a decade. I heard Ma Kittle took off with most of the proceeds.

eh ya' WUSS. We drive up from friggin' Rochester to hit Emil's shop! more like a 90 minute drive if no traffic!

Discount Hobbies in Tacoma is pretty good too, but nothing beats Emil's Skyway. Except when we only want to drive an hour instead of two... LOL I can't recall a time we have walked out of Skyway having NOT gotten a great deal. Skyway rocks.

I love going to Skyway Models in Renton, WA. Sure, it's a bit out of my way....about a 30 minute drive.....and despite other shops being closer, Skyway can't be beat for selection. Whether you are looking for that hot new tool super kit, or an old hard to find Monogram kit from the 70s...chances are you will find it at Skyway. And the owner is a wheeler and dealer, so you can usually walk out of there with very good deals.