1:48 Hasegawa VF-19!!!!!!!!!!&

well its a start. i know i have been wanting this stuff in 1/48 scale for a long time. hopefully this leads to some even cooler releases like a super sylph and mave from yukikaze.

well its a start. i know i have been wanting this stuff in 1/48 scale for a long time. hopefully this leads to some even cooler releases like a super sylph and mave from yukikaze.

I don't think Yukikaze is nearly mainstream enough to warrant anything other than the $113 PLATZ Hobby resin kits.

Oh! That reminds me. I got the .pdf files for some paper models of the Yukikaze fighters from a friend who's really into that kind of thing. Would anyone be interested in those?

Crazy cool! Papercraft files for the Yukikaze fighters? Yes, please! Do you want PMs?

Oh! That reminds me. I got the .pdf files for some paper models of the Yukikaze fighters from a friend who's really into that kind of thing. Would anyone be interested in those?

Are you kiddin'? YES, yes, of course. :woo:

heck yeah

Yes - anyone who wants one, PM me with an e-mail address to send it to. At present I only have one, but I'm going to be bugging the friend who gave me this one to send me another soon.

I also have VF-1, VF-4, and VF-9 papercraft models if anyone's interested.

Fanboys discussing the virtues of a Japanese 16 year old vs. a 12 year old, and what constitutes a loli vs. what does not. Now this thread's failure is complete. *sigh* <_<

(and Andrew, if the aircraft from Genesis Climber Mospeda were to be released in model format by hasegawa, they would likely be released under their japanese names: the Legioss (the "Alpha" in R-tech) and the Tread (the "Beta"). They would also be much smaller than the Macross aircraft, as the sourcebooks list the sizes as not being very big at all. The original transformable Legioss toys that were available in Japan (and later sold in the US under the Robotech label) were 1/35 scale... standing roughly the exact same height as a 1/55 scale Transformable Valkyrie (only commercially sold in the US as the Transformer "Skyfire".)

By comparison, the VF-1 Valkyrie was roughly the same size as a F/A-18 Legacy hornet (the prototype VF-0 was much bigger, closer in size to a Tomcat), which would make your average Legioss/Alpha roughly the size of a T-45 Goshawk or T-38 Talon (albeit considerably bulkier). I'd have to dig out the book again to check and see, but I believe the Tread/Beta was closer in body length with an F-16 while having a wingspan more like a U-2 Dragonlady.

Likewise, the Y/VF-19 Excalibur and YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel were both rather beefy fighters... at least an Su-27/F-14 in size, maybe a little bigger. As a result, 1/48 models of these will be quite large. (the 1/60 Transformable YF-19 that Yamato made stood every bit as tall as the 1/48 VF-1s and had a much bigger wingspan)

there were some of the aoshima kits of the aplha fighter in 1/48. i picked one up last week. it will not be much bigger than an F-16 when done.

0904300118000.jpg

Edited by dylan
I don't know anything about these Japanese Sci-Fi stuff about that YF-19 look pretty interesting. How will carry those in the states?

Mike

Nobody will carry these in the US. If you want one then you better order from HLJ or Rainbow Ten. You can thank Harmony Gold for your inability to buy these kits in the US.

Nobody will carry these in the US. If you want one then you better order from HLJ or Rainbow Ten. You can thank Harmony Gold for your inability to buy these kits in the US.

But thank goodness for the gray market and free trade! :D

we can likewise thank them for the abortion that was Robotech and our inability to buy almost anything Macross-related directly in the US.

we can likewise thank them for the abortion that was Robotech and our inability to buy almost anything Macross-related directly in the US.

Hey now, don't be so rash. If it weren't for Robotech, most of us would never have even heard of Macross.

And yes, screw Harmony Gold... :salute:

I bet Linda will over at Starship Modeler. She carries the Bandai VF-25 kits. Luca, Ozma, Michael and Alto.

Given that the kit number is MC01, it implies that it's the beginning of a new series. It's odd that they would start with the VF-19, being that it's probably one of the less popular subjects in the Macross series. You would think that they'd start with the VF-1 with all the available variants and color/decal schemes available (TV and Movie versions included). That way, they'd be able to create a cash cow right off the bat and recoup their investment quickly. Not a smart business move, in my opinion.

Perhaps from a North American point of view?

I don't think Macross 7 made it big here (or even made it at all, except for Fansubs) but it's basically the modern version of the original Macross series, with a TV series (49 episodes vs. SDF Macross' 36 eps), a movie, and something like 2 or 3 follow-up OAVs and countless music albums. I'd dare say that the average 20-something in Japan (who's probably the core audience for Hasegawa) would identify more with the VF-19, as it was one of the the premiere fighters for all the iterations of Macross 7 (The VF-22s being piloted by Max and Milia). AND it only takes a decal sheet and a new head to make the YF-19!

The previous generation VF-1 would more likely connect with the older 30's crowd - remember: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross aired in the early 80's, and besides Macross II and Macross Plus, no Macross has had wide distribution in North America (and I would even debate whether II & Plus had "wide" distribution").

What'cha think? Any one in Japan or an Otaku that can back up my speculation?

Edited by danse
Perhaps from a North American point of view?

I don't think Macross 7 made it big here (or even made it at all, except for Fansubs) but it's basically the modern version of the original Macross series, with a TV series (49 episodes vs. SDF Macross' 36 eps), a movie, and something like 2 or 3 follow-up OAVs and countless music albums. I'd dare say that the average 20-something in Japan (who's probably the core audience for Hasegawa) would identify more with the VF-19, as it was one of the the premiere fighters for all the iterations of Macross 7 (The VF-22s being piloted by Max and Milia). AND it only takes a decal sheet and a new head to make the YF-19!

The previous generation VF-1 would more likely connect with the older 30's crowd - remember: Super Dimensional Fortress Macross aired in the early 80's, and besides Macross II and Macross Plus, no Macross has had wide distribution in North America (and I would even debate whether II & Plus had "wide" distribution").

What'cha think? Any one in Japan or an Otaku that can back up my speculation?

Eh, 25-something here. I would've most definitely preferred to have seen VF-0 or 1 released first. I've got the kit on preorder, but the FSW concept never really appealed to me. Top Gun nostalgia still runs deep in my generation believe it or not and I luuuuuuurve the sexy tomcat lines of the zero.

I may not be a representative sample though as my first time viewing SDF1 was this morning at 1 a.m. For some reason it took a long time for me to make the connection between my two nerdly vices- Battletech style mechs and modern USN/USMC fighters.

There's a reason Macross 7 never got picked up by a stateside anime company. It's bad. No, wait - that doesn't cover it. It's horrifyingly, mindrendingly, cosmically bad. And it wasn't even "so bad it's good". I'm an afficionado of "so bad it's good" - hell, I own a DVD box set of Pink Lady and Jeff. Macross 7 is "so bad it's... really ******* bad". I still list it as #1 on my list of worst anime of all time - beating Tenshi ni Narumon, an anime that makes me physically ill if I try to watch it. It's one thing to suck - it's quite another to suck in the name of a classic.

For the record, Macross 7 appeared in the mid-90s, and is a sequel set 15-20 years after the original. It centers around Max and Miriya's daughter (no, not Dana), who is such a bubblehead she makes Minmei look like Margaret Thatcher. All in all, it makes about as much sense as Wesley Willis trying to read Jabberwocky. It is the North Korea of anime. You'd have more fun watching educational filmstrips in Croatian.

As for the other Macross sequels...

Macross Plus did pretty well, and deserved to. If memory doesn't fail, Cartoon Network even played it a few times in the late 90s. It ran on pure cool, which was enough to sustain it through a four-episode OVA. It wouldn't have been able to keep itself going any longer, and didn't.

Macross II was okay. People compared it unfairly to the original, which it didn't live up to - but it wasn't bad in and of itself. It was distributed in the US before anime had really gotten big, and that's probably why people haven't heard more about it.

Macross Zero hasn't been picked up yet, and it still might, or maybe not. I have very mixed feelings about it. It was going really well for three of its five episodes, then just kinda dove off a cliff.

Macross Frontier is the latest one. I have mixed feelings about it, as well, but they're generally positive. It 's flawed - it tried too hard to be a tribute to the original, but I think never really understood what made the original great. The original Macross was sad and serious. I liked it in the first place, back in the mid-80s, because it was the first thing aimed at people my age that didn't talk down to me. Roy died. Ben died. Minmei was never going to find happiness. It was grim and melancholy and I loved it. Frontier has sad moments, but its tone just isn't serious enough. Frontier was also too trendy, with fashionable bishonen characters I could have done without. I could have done without the female Zentraedi's "chibi" mode. I could have done without the flaming gay "bridge bunny" (bring back Claudia!). I never really did understand why a Macross armada needed a PMC.

And on a personal note, I wish Grace hadn't been evil - she gave me a raging sti... uhm... appreciation of her feminine beauty.

And yet the music was catchy, the characters were appealing, the mech designs were good, and the series went down smooth. It was funny when it was supposed to be funny, and dramatic when it was supposed to be dramatic. Frontier was not exceptional - it wasn't art - but it was above average by any objective standard.

Edited by ReiRei0