Revell 1/72 F-14A Su-22 Killer

Alright now I'm in a group build YAY!!! I'm glad to be apart of this.

Well I was diggin' through my dad's stash the other day and I pulled out this thing! It's a very nice kit with deep panel lines and a matte surface. I usually don't go for the kits with raised panel lines for two reasons; for one I'm scared that I'll ruin all the detail and two, I'm too lazy to rescribe the whole kit.

My dad had some old VF-41 decals laying around that he baught in the late 70's. He said I could use them if I wanted, so I went straight for them. They seem to be in pretty good shape after 30 years! Well here a few pics of the kit and what I've done so far.

The Revell Germany Box

100_2669.jpg

The insides. Very nice kit.

100_2670.jpg

The decals circa 1970's, but in great shape!

100_2679.jpg

A close up of the VF-41 markings.

100_2680.jpg

The neat instructions for the decs. Nice B&W reference pics.

100_2682.jpg

The decs I'll be using.

100_2685.jpg

This is whats been done so far

100_2695.jpg

This should be fun. I'm gonna get some new tools and paints to make this one look real good!

Thanks

Steve

Edited by S.C.Williams

Hello Steve, welcome to the build!! Hope to see lots of in progress stuff. One suggestion , if the decals are from the 70`s see if there is one on the sheet you can sacrifice. i would try to apply it to an old build to see if the decal won`t crack into pieces. Better to find out now than when the build is painted and ready to apply decals that may not be any good. BTDT, got the t-shirt....

Don

Hello Steve, welcome to the build!! Hope to see lots of in progress stuff. One suggestion , if the decals are from the 70`s see if there is one on the sheet you can sacrifice. i would try to apply it to an old build to see if the decal won`t crack into pieces. Better to find out now than when the build is painted and ready to apply decals that may not be any good. BTDT, got the t-shirt....

Don

Thanks Don I'll try that and we'll see how it turns out.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's another update guys! I'm sure you were very impatient :lol: Well here go's!

First off there was a little chip in the aileron of one of the wings. So what did I do...?? I made it bigger! Yes I made it bigger so I could glue a piece of scrap in there to repair it. After I did that I smoothed it with some putty. Another thing I did in the last few days was join the front part of the fuselage. I looked at the area behind the RIO's seat and decided it looked a little boring. So I added some flare! I put a few pieces of plastic and a couple electronics boxes off of the back of a resin 1/48 F-106 pit (by the way was really old and already broken in a few places......SHHHHHH!! Don't tell my dad!), and I think it looks good! Tonight I painted it all up and thats done. I'm now working on the intakes trying to fill in a few depressions and smooth them all out. Here is this story in picture form for those of you who don't like to read!...

100_2258.jpg

100_2261.jpg

100_2776.jpg

100_2779.jpg

100_2781.jpg

100_2274.jpg

100_2276.jpg

100_2283.jpg

100_2286.jpg

I've seen different Red :doh:

And I worked on them for over 14 years, I think I know what's back there. :)

The only thing back there in the trurtledeck are the SMDC lines for the canopy jettison system and actuator for the canopy. Bottom line is that it's your model, build it the way you want. :thumbsup:

Reddog :salute:

Ok sorry for a little misjudgement of a picture I saw of that area. The kit doesn't have a part for that area or a cover for that matter. I just saw a few pics and decided that I'll add few little things to spice it up a little. Thats all! It will be hidden by the canopy anyway. Thanks for the help though reddog. I could really use all the help I need. :thumbsup:

On another note, I've finished up the intakes and glued them on the fuselage. This kit looks good from the outside but man! There are so many gaps and misfits! They are all being worked on very hard though. I have another update and more pictures soon.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by S.C.Williams
THIS KIT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!! :woot.gif: Stupid stupid Revell!

It's a Tomcat, what do you expect! :coolio:

BTW, the real ones were ten time worse on a good day, we won't talk about a bad day.

Hang in there, it gets better. :woot.gif:

Reddog :woot.gif:

YAY UPDATE!!! :thumbsup:

Man oh man! This thing is a real hassle now. I've managed to join up the foward and aft fuselage. There were so many gaps to fill I just went crazy. But I pulled through and got it done. There is still a lot of work to do. And the pics...

The pilot and RIO are getting a little bored just sittin there! :whistle:

100_2314.jpg

Here's the total progress. I've already painted the wings for reasons unknown.....boredom..

100_2327.jpg

Here's the forward fuselage gap all filled up. Maybe a little more smoothin out there.

100_2323.jpg

Another view of the pit.

100_2329.jpg

The gap between the aft portion and the fuselage. I filled that with some styrene, putty, and a lot of elbow grease!

100_2328.jpg

The inside of the cans

100_2332.jpg

The outside burner cans. I'm very proud of them by the way. :D

100_2330.jpg

This is what I do to relieve stress! I find it very relaxing,and enjoyable to turn my amp to 11 and rock the house! :coolio:

100_2807.jpg

Edited by S.C.Williams

Got her all primed up tonight. I decanted some of testors grey primer and it went on absolutely fantastic! Got one coat on now, goin in to put on another coat in a few hours. I'l probably be painting main coat by this weekend. Will have her done way before the deadline! Pics soon...

Steve :thumbsup:

Edited by S.C.Williams

Found the camera!!! I've got her all painted up with some base weathering. This is one of the best I've built so far. :D

The exhausts

100_2340.jpg

The under carriage

100_2341.jpg

Nose gear well

100_2345.jpg

The bottom of the exhausts

100_2347.jpg

The total progess. Looks real good!

100_2350.jpg

Any comments welcome

Thanks