Hi Guys,

Well I've been looking forward to this one for a bit, as it means I can build several of the kits ive been waiting to do for ages. Izzy, who is six, quite fancies a go too and is already further along than me. She is already an old hand at this group build malarky, this will be her second entry, having previously entered the 'gone but not forgotten' build. Funnily enough though, her mum (my wife) isn't nearly as impressed as me, maybe if she built pink planes (any suggestions!).

Anyway, my entry will be a mini group build in itself, I would like to do three DML demonstration team kits, a Blue Angels F-18, Thunderbirds F-16 and a Russian Knights Flanker. I am also going to attempt a Patrouelle de france Alpha jet (revell). All will be in 1/144 and pretty much out the box, except the alpha jet as I do not have any decals for them so I will be either makeing my own or just completeing the scheme with carefull masking and painting, its not that complicated luckily enough.

005-3.jpg

As for Izzy, she is doing the HobbyBoss Thunder Birds F84. She is already a fair ways along with this as we could sit on the balcony (get me, its just the flat roof over the store room of the shop below, which we have to climb through a window to get to, but hey, have to enjoy the sun when you can in this country) and model quietly this weekend. She really does do these kits herself, the only help I give her is to remind her to 'paint' not scrub the brush, and I did help with settling the decals with Micro Sol as they have to go round quite complex curves, I also helped her choose the right colurs for the right bits, but apart from that, so far this is a solo project for her.

I hope you guys don't mind Izzy joining in, and I hope you like are intended builds. Good luck everyone, will update when I actually get started,(just got to finish my hawkeye, then i'm off!

Thanks

Tim

001-4.jpg

What a way to spend the day, my mum was at work, so she will never know we skived all day, he he

014-2.jpg

its, basically, all silver, so a very quick paint job. Revell's aqua paints were used so drying time was very quick!

030-2.jpg

035-1.jpg

Decals are a little tricky!

045.jpg

Just the canopy and wheels to do, then finished, hmm what to do next?

Edited by mildenhall rules

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, I will show Izzy them when she gets up for school in the morning, actually I might just show her after school, the love of airplanes she gets from me, the moody mornings she gets from her mother! I am so much braver when I know my wife will never read any of this! :sunrevolves:

Cheers

Tim

I've decided I cant wait until I finish the hawkeye, and I need to catch up with Izzy! So I have started all four tonight. Like I previously mentioned, I am not going to upgrade the cockpits like I normally would with Aeroclubs 1/144 seats, so I have started with painting the pilots in situ. My eyes are now bleeding but, i'm actually quite pleased with the results. The alphajet cockpit is not much better and has just been basically painted.

027-2.jpg

alpha jet so far

030-3.jpg

As for the bell, well she is nearly done! I masked the canopy for her as the F-84 is not really a six year old friendly one! she also painted her wheels but not stuck them on yet. She also asked me to say thanks for the kind words, she was well chuffed when I read them to her.

015-3.jpg

No need to get out of PJ's on a sunday!

Will keep you all updated on our work soon.

Thanks

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, I will show Izzy them when she gets up for school in the morning, actually I might just show her after school, the love of airplanes she gets from me, the moody mornings she gets from her mother! I am so much braver when I know my wife will never read any of this! :cheers:

Cheers

Tim

Dude, you will be so dead if she ever reads this!!!! Good start on the pilots!

• 3 months later...

Well its been a while but we have made progress, well Izzy has made more than me but, we are a bit further along.

Izy has finished her thunderjet, and it looks awesome. All I did for her was mask the canopy (a thunderjets glass lid is a bit much for me let alone a six year old) and I put setting solution on the decals once she had put them on, as Hobbyboss decals are quite thick, though they did settle reasonably well. Her next build is an F-16 she won from her first group build.

031-1-1.jpg

She put a pilot in it from the spares box

027-3.jpg

001-5.jpg

As for me, well the hornet is done and i put the decals on the f-16 today, all I have to do to that now is add wheels, doors canopy and paint the engine nozzle.

006-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

010-4-1.jpg

And the f-16..

021-3.jpg

020-2.jpg

024-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

thats it for now, hope you like them and that your builds are going well!

Edited by mildenhall rules

Completed the F16 tonight, hope you like it.

042.jpg

045-1.jpg

043.jpg

And a couple of shots with the Blue Angels hornet completed for this group build, and a Red Arrows hawk (not entered), all 1/144, the hawk is a vacform kit.

048-1.jpg

052.jpg

Will update when I have the alpha jet done, and hopefully i'll get the flanker done to!

Thanks for looking

Tim

A quick alpha jet update, had to mask and spray the whole thing due to no-body bringing out a patrouille de france kit in 1/144, shame on you Revell et all! (after my crude yet time consuming efforts, somebody will no do so, a bit like me nearly sanding my fingers off to do a welsh models hawk, then Ozmods bring one out, grrrr). I painted it totally the wrong colour blue to begin with, but have since found a more suitable shade.

001-7.jpg

004-6.jpg

012-5.jpg

Finished!. I have touched all the paintwork up as much as I can, and used some rub down decals for the writing under the wings. If I am honest, im not all that happy with it but, im fed up of seeing it sitting around. Hope you like it, and hope you are all enjoying your builds!

014-4.jpg

013-5.jpg

011-8.jpg

008-9.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi all

I know Tim wont mind me doing this, but as Izzy seems to have developed a following, her latest effort is a 1/72 Airfix Tomcat and can be found in the Enterprise Group Build, while Tim has gone slightly mad and is building a full cockpit in a 1/144 scale Vigilante!

Antony

Thanks Guys, Izzy will be so chuffed you like her stuff. Like Antony said, she is now on to a Tomcat, and is nearly at the painting stage already, hoestly, she finishes more than I do!

She loves it, but is playing star wars lego at the moment, so I dont think she will get much done tonight! It's great that she likes building, I would recommend to everyone to introduce your kids to the hobby as soon as poss (much easier now, thanks to Hobbyboss kits, they are easy to make, but they still get to do what dad, or mum, do with the painting and decals), its much more fun to have some company whilst playing with plastic!

Thankns again guys, I really do appreciate the kind words.

Tim (I would get Izzy to say a few words, but she is distracted by lightsabers :cheers: at the mo, seriously, that girl rocks! )