Old School 1/32 Tamiya Cat build.

Well, i`ve had this kit in my stash for almost 20 years. Tried to build it a few years ago, got as far as trying to rescribe the upper fuselage parts. Ended up ruining these parts so i shelved it `til now. I`m going to order the parts from Borgfeldt tomorrow and will try to get this done for the GB. It will be an A, so i won`t have to convert the airframe saving me much time. I do have an old Black Box pit for this, though i have heard they are a PITA to install. May even use the stock pit, decals and all. Not sure what markings i`ll use, there isn`t a lot available for the Gull Grey/ White scheme. The kit decals are for VF-84, VF-211 or an Iranian bird. Have to think about it for a bit.

Don

Hi Don,

Wow!,....you're a glutton for punishment :D

Two big Tamiya 'Cats in one Group Build, that's some going.

An early high viz bird will look great alongside your Reapers jet.

Good luck with this next one. I'll follow along if I may? :D

:soapbox:

Hey Guy!! It is a lot of work, but i think it will be easier this time. For starters, this will be an A version and i won`t have to worry about an airframe conversion, i may use the stock cockpit decals and all, i will be making my own seamless intakes. The hardest part will be the rescribing, but i`ve just been through one build and a lot of stuff is still fresh in my memory. I WILL remember to fair in the windscreen this time. I have started, but mostly gluing subassemblies together. Will start posting pics when there is something to post. I also ordered the upper fuselage parts due to my hamfisted attempt at rescribing. I will have to perform some minor surgery due to different beavertails from the original to the Black Knights version. Anyway, all that to say it should be an easier build. I hope. Ya right.

Don

Hello all!! I took a close look at the stock cockpit this morning and decide to use a Black Box pit i`ve had for a while. Started to fit it this afternoon, and so far it seems to be not too bad. i have heard that it can be a real "challenge" to fit but after the Wolfpack fairings and Teknics pit on my D build i will win this battle ( i hope). Anyway, i`ll post more pics as i fit the pit and show any difficult parts and how i hopefully overcome them.

Don

Its a warm, sunny Saturday, and i`ve got four beautiful ribeye steaks to grill. Don`t know if i`ll get much more modelling done today :thumbsup:

Its a warm, sunny Saturday, and i`ve got four beautiful ribeye steaks to grill. Don`t know if i`ll get much more modelling done today :thumbsup:

Well, the weather Saturday turned ugly, so the ribeyes stayed in the cooler :wacko: Hopefully today will be OK to spark up the grill. At least i managed to get some bench time in. The cockpit is fitted, and suprisingly was relativly painless. It looks good so far, the only issue i found is the coaming for the rear pit was poorly formed. I tried fitting the kit part and found the fit was dead on!! Detail is a little lighter but i`m OK with it. The last Black Box pit i tried to fit was for the Tamiya F-4C/D, what a terrible task that is!! I still haven`t finished the kit because of the poor pit fit This F-14 pit was a walk in the park in comparison. Anyway, one fast pic.

IMG_4359a.jpg

Still haven`t figured out what markings i will use, there really isn`t a lot out there for the old gull grey/white scheme. Was thinking about a VF-84 bird, but really want to do a F-4J in that scheme.

Don

Been a while since the last update, had a little problem with my computer. I had to replace it with a new laptop. Funny thing is , the old Dell started behaving itself. Slow progress on my build, managed to do almost all the cockpit painting. Still have to do the ejection handles. Didn`t weather that much as the build will be pretty clean, and i painted this once, not the 7+ times i usually take. I should be able to get more done, now. Anyway, just one pic for the night.

IMG_4363aa.jpg

Don