Blade Runner Spinner

Hello all,

I am a huge fan of the film and I always wanted to do a 'spinner' but finding a model spinner has proven difficult. This one is a resin model from Japan. I am not sure of its lineage and it certainly is not a dead on replica of the spinner in the movie. However, it looks like a spinner and that is all that is important.

The resin did not come out of its mold perfectly so I have had to repair a few imperfections around the front of the model. But that is almost complete. While the putty and surfacer has been drying, I have been painting the interior. I think I did ok except for the seats, they look a little too dirty. I might try to fix them before I close it up.

100_2408.jpg

100_2410.jpg

The canopy is a vaccuform thing so I will take my time in cutting and fitting. Vaccuform intimidates me a little!

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

Edited by CorsairMan

Classic car! I've drooled over the idea of one of these for years, but never coughed up the moolah for one. It may not be 100% accurate, but when it's the only game in town, oh well. Looks like you're off to a good start....have fun with the canopy...remember, slowly...slowly...:D

Alvis 3.1

"he say you brade runna!"

my fav sci fi film of all time! Looking forward to this build!

a loooong time ago, i bought a model of a 'spinner' from a japanime called "silent mobius". Apart from the spinner from the anime, it also included a small scale model (abt 1/144 scale) of the police spinner and also of deckard's spinner. i think i still have it stored away some where! looking at this thread just reminded me of it!

• 1 month later...

Very cool- I've been eyeing that new on on SS Modeler- at $35 it's not a bad deal (...anymore). I too am a probably

over-the-top BR whack. Back when they were filming, an industry friend and I went to the then Burbank Studios (Columbia

and Warner shared facilities) for a rough cut screening of another film. We new BR was lensing that evening. We snooped and found

the outdoor "Japanized" future L.A. lot. While nosing around (and trying to not look like it) we checked out two spinners sitting

there. Alas they were only shells. But every since I've been enamored with that design. Thanks for the look see of your

resin beast.

BP

Hello all,

I am a huge fan of the film and I always wanted to do a 'spinner' but finding a model spinner has proven difficult. This one is a resin model from Japan. I am not sure of its lineage and it certainly is not a dead on replica of the spinner in the movie. However, it looks like a spinner and that is all that is important.

The resin did not come out of its mold perfectly so I have had to repair a few imperfections around the front of the model. But that is almost complete. While the putty and surfacer has been drying, I have been painting the interior. I think I did ok except for the seats, they look a little too dirty. I might try to fix them before I close it up.

The canopy is a vaccuform thing so I will take my time in cutting and fitting. Vaccuform intimidates me a little!

Thanks for looking and comments welcome!

This has been a learning process...

The canopy took a long time but I think I got it initially but its dip in future left something to be desired. I am thinking of stripping it or redipping it.

The paint went on well. I tried Vallejo this time and after some initial problems, it went on. Unfortunately, you cannot see the pre-shading anymore but I might do some post shading to get some of the effect back. I am not 100% if the paint is accurate or not. I have seen spinners in many shades of blue.

It still needs considerable touch-ups though. I am now working on the complicated lights that are supposed to be installed on the top of the spinner.

100_2430.jpg

100_2431.jpg

100_2432.jpg

100_2433.jpg

100_2434.jpg

A little more work - I touched up the paint problems and then I glossed. I had a feeling these decals would suck and wow, do they ever. They are not in register and they are pretty badly done. I tried to cut as close to the decal as I could. They seem to laugh at setting solutions too....

Right now I am working on the lights that are supposed to go on the roof rack. I hope they turn out well.

Here are some pictures:

100_2465.jpg

100_2466.jpg

100_2468.jpg

100_2469.jpg

100_2464.jpg

Its almost done!

I need to fix up the white stripes a little bit and I am going to adjust the lights slightly but we are getting close. The canopy fits very nicely, I am just going to do a tiny drop of diluted white glue at the doors to keep it in place. Sorry for the sub-par photos. The camera just isn't that good.

100_2475.jpg

100_2476.jpg

100_2477.jpg

100_2478.jpg

hey its beautiful!! great job!

BTW hv you watched the bluray version of the movie? theres a lot more detail n colour in the bluray compared to DVD.

thanks for sharing your photos!

Oh yes! I have the version that comes with the final cut and 4 other bluray discs. I didn't get the briefcase edition with all the toys. Maybe I should have.

Oh yes! I have the version that comes with the final cut and 4 other bluray discs. I didn't get the briefcase edition with all the toys. Maybe I should have.

yeah a friend of mine got the box set, comes with a nifty little di-cast spinner. Not that much detail on it, very toylike but still nice as a collectors item. the other bits in the briefcase were nice too. I only got the normal bluray but i must say its definitely a movie TO HAVE if you hv a bluray player.

i almost cried when i saw the colours n details in the first ten minutes, my first thought was, "was this what we were meant to see all this while?? why did i put up with DVD and prior to that the VHS???" :)