1/72 F-4E resin cockpit - does such exist??

I was sure Aires had a 1/72 Phantom cockpit (F-4E specifically), but I can't find hide nor hair of such an animal. Does or did anybody ever make a 1/72 F-4E cockpit???

J

I was sure Aires had a 1/72 Phantom cockpit (F-4E specifically), but I can't find hide nor hair of such an animal. Does or did anybody ever make a 1/72 F-4E cockpit???

J

As has already been mentioned, there is no F-4E cockpit per say. I have used the F-4J cockpit from KMC as I figure that in 1/72 any differences would not really be all that noticeable. That being said, would the Aires F-4E cockpit be better suited? I thought that the F-4E and F-4F were pretty close with one of the main visible differences being the nose gun (I am defintely no Phantom expert! LOL).

I have used the TD F-94 cockpit with T-33 seats for my T-33 kits being that there is no T-33 cockpit available and I felt that for 1/72 the Starfire cockpit was close enough, especially once the T-33 seats were added. Besides, it was a definite improvement over what the kit offered.

As has already been mentioned, there is no F-4E cockpit per say. I have used the F-4J cockpit from KMC as I figure that in 1/72 any differences would not really be all that noticeable. That being said, would the Aires F-4E cockpit be better suited? I thought that the F-4E and F-4F were pretty close with one of the main visible differences being the nose gun (I am defintely no Phantom expert! LOL).

Accuracy and visible differences are personal preference. The AiRes F-4F cockpit would be closer to accurate, but more difficult to install in the Hasegawa kit, simply due to the differences in the Hasegawa and Revell toolings. Maybe not impossible, but most likely not worth the surgery (or rather, the surgery and repairs to the 'tub would be so extensive, you'd be better off doing it yourself). At a minimum, you'd be throwing out the sidewalls and probably the instrument panels, and would likely have to saw the front/rear tubs apart, and possibly even widen them. The depth and contours of the Revell nose differ from the Hasegawa kit, so it's really not a simple swap.

As for E vs. F... it depends precisely which production block F-4E (and F) you're talking about, but visually, the only major external difference between the two are the tailplanes (slotted vs. unslotted). F-4Fs and 'later' (starting in the early 70's) F-4Es used the same gun fairing.

Didn't Verlinden do one? I know they had a so-so 1/48 resin and PE F-4E pit, with an exposed gun and radar, but I thought they had scaled it down to 1/72, too. I seem to recall an open panel on top of the wing in the 1/72 set.

Ben

Didn't Verlinden do one? I know they had a so-so 1/48 resin and PE F-4E pit, with an exposed gun and radar, but I thought they had scaled it down to 1/72, too. I seem to recall an open panel on top of the wing in the 1/72 set.

Ben

Ben,

They did a detail set, but the cockpit detail consisted of a pair of resin seats and some photoetch of the canopies and rails. The rest of the set was devoted to the radar and the wing panels.

Regards,

Murph

I like the Hasegawa cockpit as it is (and unlike many resin cockpits, it fits!). It provides a great basis for an Eduard photoetch set, maybe with a few extra wires and such thrown in to make the space look a little more busier.

Ben

Hi There

Well Ben allow me to tell you something about Verlinden Detail Set for Phantom in 1/72 scale actually you got all of the photoetched from 1/48 scale set (radar and gatling gun)+ another photoeteched one containing cockpits for B,C, D, J and S + radar for C/D & B/J

In the resin part you got 2 ejection seat (rally nice ones) interior of a over wing panel and radar parts and thats it

Missing from 1/48 set are Midas gun exhaust and gun doors, Gatling gun main mechanism and F-4E under cockpit resin detail

So I believe that you can copy the gun mechanism from F-104G detail set but the gun exhaust + gun covers are still MIA

Best day

Armando

Hi Armando,

Thanks for the info! I guess my memory isn't quite as bad as my wife and kids say it is! I've still got the remains of the 1/48 set around here somewhere. You're right, their seats are pretty nice.

Cheers!

Ben

FM ? (Fine Molds?),,,,,anyway, that SBS set looks like it would fit more kits than the Revell F kit, with the sides seperate panels like that,,,,gets rid of the "how do I stuff this large diameter pit into this small diameter cockpit hole" problem,,,,,just touch the sides of the tub with a file to fit whatever kit it's going into

it would be far easier than what I started to do,,,shove the Aries pit into a Hasegawa fuselage

good thing I stopped sanding already

FM ? (Fine Molds?),,,,,anyway, that SBS set looks like it would fit more kits than the Revell F kit, with the sides seperate panels like that,,,,gets rid of the "how do I stuff this large diameter pit into this small diameter cockpit hole" problem,,,,,just touch the sides of the tub with a file to fit whatever kit it's going into

it would be far easier than what I started to do,,,shove the Aries pit into a Hasegawa fuselage

good thing I stopped sanding already

Yup,FM Detail from Hungary,Pacific Coast Models used to carry that set here in the states but hasn't had in stock for quite awhile.I have a set,the tub somewhat fits in the Hasegawa kit but the sidewalls aren't quite large enough for the Hasegawa kit.

They (AiRes) did an F-4F 'pit for the RoG kit. Nobody does a 1/72 F-4E cockpit.

Actually the Aires 1/72 scale pit resembles a F-4E pit not an F. It has the tape recorder of the E on the right aft FCP wall(not found on the F) the mapcase on the left aft FCP wall (is installed on the right aft FCP wall on the F) and the rear cockpit instrument pane; is from an E, the F panel is slightly different. And you can fit it to the HASEGAWA kit, requres some work but I made it also happen.

Take care !

SCOUT

I emailed SBS models and got an almost immediate (faster than Sprue Brothers) email reply from them. The F-4E cockpit is the old FM set, and they're just waiting on the boxes before they're made available for order.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

I'm Csaba from SBS Model.

Yes, the set is a reissue of the former FM Set.

I enclosed a picture of it. The set will be available when we receive the package material :salute:

f-4-full;init:.jpg

Cheers

Csaba