1:48 Fuji International/MHI F-14J

Not entering this into the Whiff GB because there's not going to be enough time, and I'll never beat Stoolsliner's count (4-5!? Whisky Tango Foxtrot!?) Anyway, the aircraft is out of my current WIP novel 'Aeon Children' but the backstory not completely there, so as I get to certain parts I'll describe the reasons behind them beginning here with the cockpit. This will basically be a AST-21 taken to the limits of reason.

All 130 F/A-14EJ's built were in one singular block in 2015, stationed aboard the newly christened Nimitz-II JMSDF carriers 'Akagi and Asuka. This was just as period-2 cybernetic implants were coming into use, providing humans with wireless interlink with suitably programmed devices and internet terminals. The Hyper Kitty was equipped as such, allowing the pilot to control many system aspects simultaneously, even to an extent flying hands-off, though the massive data transfer required to communicate between man and machine slowed response and limited usefulness. This was solved with the period-3 cybernetics retrofitted, introducing a hard-wire cable link, massively increasing data transfer speeds. To maximize the mission usefulness of the period-2 cybernetics a five-MFD instrument panel was installed and advances in avionics and radar technology negated the need for a RIO, the space of the RIO's pit allowing a new 1200-round drum for the 30mm gun to be fitted, though the drum could be removed and replaced with either a 50 US-gal fuel cell or a secondary passenger cockpit with baggage space.

000_0481.jpg

Edited by sv51macross

Finished the cockpit. The ex RIO IP coaming will need some trimming to fit the reclined ejection seat, but that's not too difficult with a dremel. :wub:

This was my first real try at drybrushing the little buttons and dials, I think it came out alright. Obvious are the five MFD's and the revised HOTAS setup, though the glue spots around the yoke/stick still need to be painted tan (leather mechanism boots)

000_0488.jpg

000_0487.jpg

000_0486.jpg

I will say that as annoying as it is trying to get rid of the 'scribing ridges', it is immensely satisfying transforming a $9 model into something sweet. (Though I foresee at least another $20 in balsa (you'll see! :lol: ), squadron putty, and decal paper. Once the tip of the nose is sanded down (does an unaugmented Revellogram nose remind anyone else of a pig?) it looks incredibly good. this is one of the sexiest jets ever conceived. Monogram also did a great job with all the detail on the kit. Shame most of it's gone as for now I can barely scribe panel lines ( :cheers: )

Are you making this fixed wing? (It resembles some of the early Tomcat proposals with the bigger wing you've done).

You should go post this on the What If forums, it would go down a treat.

Are you making this fixed wing? (It resembles some of the early Tomcat proposals with the bigger wing you've done).

You should go post this on the What If forums, it would go down a treat.

No, the wings will still be variable, but the slats are going to be extended (Something in the AST-21 stuff said about 'revised leading-edge slats') I mivht take a Dremel and halve the width of the extensions though.

Now...how to make a Super-Phoenix Mach-11...

Enlarged wing gloves gave the Hyper Tomcat more internal fuel space, as well as generating more lift fore of the CoG for better maneuverability. Extended LE-slats, modified to operate as part of a CCV-control scheme (especially with the deletion of the spoilers) improved roll-rate and turning performance. Enlarged elevons gave more authority at higher-AoA maneuvers.

Fotoz.

Kinda blurry, but it illustrates how beefy the wing glove extensions are.

000_0503.jpg

Top views with wings unswept and swept, showing aero mods thus far in white and green.

000_0498.jpg

000_0501.jpg

Mein gott, sie ist ganz heiss!

Update, I modded the tails, they're drying at a 45* angle.

000_0504.jpg

And here's the loadout, 2x each of AGM-88, AGM-65, and AAM-5, as well as 8x AAM-4. The AAM-5s are scratchbuilt from Kinetic AIM-9X's with styrene wings.

The F-14EJ Kais of Fuji International PMC's Shinigami squadron often were tasked with flying top-cover for Fuji PMC strike packages and operating in the SEAD/DEAD role against Chinese SA-29 and SA-31 SAMs. The license-build rights were purchased under the table from Hughes and Texas Instruments, though payment was in easily-liquidated consumer goods rather than currency to help obscure a paper trail (with the disappearance of a container ship being reported as hurricane-loss).

The AAM-4s manufactured by Mitsubishi underwent several upgrade programs to improve range and ECCM, often employed against AWACS and the ECR EJ-10A in the ARM role, as well as standard medium-range engagement AAMs.

The AAM-5 was largely unchanged aside from a newer rocket motor and revision of the electronics to allow LOAL. A new feature was the installation of a IFF reader and a restartable rocket motor. If the lock of the original target was broken somehow, the rocket motor was shut-off and the missile moved to acquire the nearest enemy IFF signal before restarting the motor and homing on the target.

000_0509.jpg

I have yet to figure out how to mount the other four AAM-4s (the top four are semi-recessed in the Sparrow channels). I was thinking a cross between the setups the Hornet and Strike Eagle employ, a stub pylon with attachment rings for a rail-less drop-launch.

Edited by sv51macross

blimey, i'm out of a job in 2015..

great mods.. how to attach more weapons? make shoulder pylons on TOP of the wing glove vane area, or swivelling mounts like tornado style on the wings..

or make an entire internal weapons bay of the whole belly, and do the weapon loads f-22 style

blimey, i'm out of a job in 2015..

? :woot.gif: ?

great mods.. how to attach more weapons? make shoulder pylons on TOP of the wing glove vane area, or swivelling mounts like tornado style on the wings..

No...I've got the wings saved for something else...:salute:...[rubs hands together and chuckles maliciously] The AAM-5s on the rails, the Mavericks go on the glove extensions, HARMs on the glove pylons, four AAM-4s in the sparrow recesses, and four AAM-4s on the nacelles as mentioned above.

or make an entire internal weapons bay of the whole belly, and do the weapon loads f-22 style

Man, it still has to be maneuverable. OR, maybe make them up inside the fuselage and keep the tunnel (she's getting a fuel-filled humpback anyway...god, that'll eat a box of Milliput by itself!). The only penalty for external weapons is speed and range, as Soviet-produced plasma-cloud cloaking devices are installed on all frontline JASDF and JMSDF aircraft. As for weps-induced drag, 400 Imp drop tanks on the inlets and 25,000 lb-ft military-thrust engines should solve that problem.

(EDIT) If I'd heard that idea before the fuselage was buttoned-up, it would most likely be implemented, but at this point I just don't want to rock the boat.

Edited by sv51macross

Looks awesome so far! :worship: At the speed you're building you might as well have included it in the GB. :lol:

Really like the heavy load-out (can't wait to see it on the plane itself) and the canted-out rudders. Nice job on the AAM-5s as well. :thumbsup:

? :huh: ?

<...>

A play on his nick name. ;) You traded his seat for a big ammo or fuel drum.

Great job on the weapons, dude. If you're looking for more areas to place weapons, how about mounting wingtip-style rails on the glove vanes? With the extensions there should be enough room, and part of your weathering could include some black streaks on the leading edge where the wing meets the fuselage from the missile launches.

Great job on the weapons, dude. If you're looking for more areas to place weapons, how about mounting wingtip-style rails on the glove vanes? With the extensions there should be enough room, and part of your weathering could include some black streaks on the leading edge where the wing meets the fuselage from the missile launches.

I did actually think about that, but I want to add as little drag as possible. I might add the other four AAM-4s semi recessed on the VF-25-reminiscent wing-mounted boosters along with the 400gal drop tanks and MAAM-1 batteries.

Ooops..:) Did I just give away my secret plans?

Though I might go ahead and get another F-14 and try TC RIO's idea of an internal weons bay. Actually...it might not be too hard to retrofit now...:wave:

(EDIT): Actually, looking at it head-on, the 'wing box' gets in the way of a internal bay, and it would have to be really shallow anyway as the wing sweep mechanism is about 1/4-1/2 an inch above the top of the 'tunnel'

Edited by sv51macross

I need some advice on paint. Overall I want flat black with MM 'bright blue' splinter camo overlaid and a red 'sash' under the canopy. Pylons and rails 'light ghost gray'. my question is though how to integrate a light gray underside. My first though was just spray-bomb the whole thing, but then I thought ferris-camo-ing the light-ghost from the intakes towards the radome. The thing is I'm afraid the red, blue, black, and gray will clash too much...

I need some advice on paint. Overall I want flat black with MM 'bright blue' splinter camo overlaid and a red 'sash' under the canopy. Pylons and rails 'light ghost gray'. my question is though how to integrate a light gray underside. My first though was just spray-bomb the whole thing, but then I thought ferris-camo-ing the light-ghost from the intakes towards the radome. The thing is I'm afraid the red, blue, black, and gray will clash too much...

I'm thinking the red would be the most clashing color there. I'm not sure it would work with a blue splinter scheme. If it was just black, gray, and blue, I think a splinter scheme would work pretty well.

Or, you could turn the bright blue into a gray and keep the red. Black/medium gray splinter on top, light gray on the underside.

Just throwing a couple ideas out there, hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks greta Macross... and not a tie fighter in sight!!! :thumbsup::woot.gif:

:huh: ?

Anyway, got some work done on this thing. Fleshing out the booster packs. This is just the basic shape mounted on pivots on the wing. Winglet quantity and shape to be determined.

000_0515.jpg

000_0516.jpg

Okay, I was struggling with how to mount the boosters and threw up my hands. When they came down, they landed on my dremel too. Subsequently I've inhaled enough sawdust to make a sheet of particle board. but it was worth it IMO, they look better now. The boosters look different because the starboard port side booster got some unwise chops with the razor saw. They're just there to provide core support anyway and will be sheathed in styrene. Intakes will cover the noses as well.

000_0518.jpg

000_0519.jpg

Interesting, over a thousand views. Well, at least if people can't say nice things about the build (like can I blame them?) at least my work still generates interest. ;)

Edited by sv51macross
  • 2 weeks later...

Moar work!

The boosters are almost finished. At this point it's getting the noses pretty (for mach-3.5 airflow at least) and smoothing out the undersides.

000_0533.jpg

000_0535.jpg

000_0537.jpg

000_0538.jpg

[edit: wrong img tag]

Edited by sv51macross