1:48 Fuji International/MHI F-14J

Looking pretty interesting Mike ...

So, this is the bridge to the Valkyrie we all know and love, right ?

Again, nice work ...

Gregg

No, just Japan's little 'World's Biggest Distributor of Chengdu/Shenyang Parts'. :worship: I have the vision of this thing annihilating squadrons of J-10s and J-11s, then dumping the tanks/winglets/pylons and making a quick mach-3.5 dash out of unfriendly airspace.

• 2 weeks later...

*Phoenix Mach-1 Engine

-Not an aircraft but worthy of mention in its own right. Designed as an indigenous replacement for the Russian AL-31, it was developed as a hybrid turbofan/ramjet engine, with the ramjet occurring at high mach numbers. Backpressure and venturi were provided by an experimental, unique setup with a lower, scooped petal and a 'thumb' that pressed down into the scooped petal, creating a U-shaped channel for gases to pass through. This had the effect of generating vortexes around the exit flow and accelerating the outflow, increasing thrust, this effect further enhanced by rivulets engraved on the petal's interior. Both parts were fully articulable so thrust vectoring of exhaust gases by +/- 25 degrees was possible. Thrust output was estimated to be in the 40,000lb range but tests revealed slightly higher numbers. Ramjet mode had measured thrusts consistently in the high 70,000lb range. Most aircraft required retrofitting of cooling scoops into the afterburner as the engine was extremely efficient and became very hot if at higher throttle settings than idle. An unusual effect was that the engine appeared to be constantly in afterburner (identified by constant delfageration out of the exhaust), though this was merely a product of remaining unburned fuel being burned in the venturi effect of the petal-and-thumb, though even at idle the engine produced enough thrust to require brake application. Opening of the petal-and-thumb wide enough to reduce thrust at idle caused destabilization in backpressure shockwaves and stalled the engine. Fuel consumption was actually less than the Saturn AL-31J, and even with the Mitsubishi-built GE F-110. The engine was shown to have extreme tolerance to disturbed airflow, able to provide at least 50% of maximum non-augmented output even while in reversed airflow.

Assembled the Phoenix Mach-1 engines, incomplete but mostly there.

000_0561.jpg

Based on, for those who know, the Super-Phoenix Mach-11 engines fitted to B-503 Yukikaze in episode 4 of the OVA Sento Youse Yukikaze

But, I'm not liking too hotly the way they look on the bird herself.

000_0563.jpg

(sorry for the washout)

000_0564.jpg

I was thinking though about scratching GE Iris TV nozzles for the engines and pretending that the F-14EJ Kai was the testbed for the Phoenix Mach series by using the Mach-0, a preproduction test engine using the Mach-1's center section and ramjet components, but having a 'conventional' flower-type nozzle.

(GE Iris TV nozzle as fitted to NASA's F-16D VISTA)

Iris_vectoring_nozzle.jpg

I think if you flipped those Phoenix engines over, it might fit the Tomcat better.

I love all the extra details you add in, like the backstory of the engines. Reminds me a bit of the scene in The Sum of All Fears (the book, not the crappy movie) where the bomb goes off and the whole detonation process is explained.

Update; I've been working on the detail for this bird including ECM gear, countermeasures, and the AAM-4 mountings.

000_0573.jpg

Visible in the photo are:

- High-res/speed camera suite under the nose to provide 360/360 visibility coverage. Camera data is cyber-cast into pilot's vision. Also able to provide thermal imaging.

- SakuraEDS radar-warnign receivers on the intakes, main component of the SakuaEDS system that provides 360/360 radar warning coverage, also able to detect MM wave radiation, and act as jamming antennae when needed.

- Pylons for AAM-4 carriage in the tunnel, four semi-recessed nad four semi-conformal pylons. Rear pylons may be relocated to engine trunk mounts. current capacity is eight dedicated stations + glove pylons.

- Relocated primary chaff/flare buckets between black pylons.

- Tail sting implemented with integrated tailhook. Installation required relocation of chaff/flare buckets. Sting contains rear-facing search/track radar as well as focused/aimed microwave gun for rear-hemisphere missile destruction (lacks power to disable mildly shielded A/C avionics). Tail cone able to flip open to allow braking/anti-spin chute deployment.

- Auxiliary chaff/flare dispensers on TE of ventral fins.

And for the item that most of the Tomcat fans will undoubtedly despise me for, Sufa-ing a F-14.

000_0578.jpg

- MHI AIIF suite installed. Provides advanced notification of friend/foe status via transponder interrogation. Continuously up-linked with the Japanese defense ministry's intelligence bureau to provide accurate nationality ID.

- SakuraEDS nose RWR antennae, similar function to inlet-mounted pieces but more focused to the forward plane. Lack the jamming fucntion of the inlet antennae as proximity to the radar set renders such function redundant.

Note, shape of the nose pimples is not finalized, they need some refining/smoothing still.

How am I going to put in an IRST now?

(Edit; clarification)

Edited by sv51macross

This is getting better with every instalment! :whistle:

You need to make some diagrams, pointing out which mods you made where. I think I noticed the ventral fin chaff/flare launchers only after looking at the pic for the third time. ;)

When you've got 360/360 degree TV coverage, why would you need an IRST? :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Got some paint on (sorry for the $hi**y pics, could not get the lighting right ).

000_0590.jpg

000_0593.jpg

I think the AC would look better with black wings and elevons, a little more blue than I wanted, but the wings might get blue leading edges al-la my F-14/F-16 Mistel project from the WhIf GB.

@Moritz, The cameras are only visual w/o thermal imaging integrated. also, Aeon children has the beginnings of Shiro Masamune's cyberpunk theme, and I imagine it beginning as a series of patchwork 'band-aids' as opposed to an organized, comprehensive standard, hence the need for several sensor types. Plus, the upper hemisphere is still reliant on the pilot's eyes, and cannot magnify to the extent an IRST can.