Virginia Beach area hobby shops?

If you can get on Norfolk Naval Base, there's a small hobby shop called Craftech. It's next door to the power plant and old gas station. You also have the usual chain stores like Hobbytown and Hungates. Denbigh Hobbies in Newport News has the best selection, but a little farther away. If you go there, it sits way back off of the main road in a shopping center. There's a Burger King out front of it.

Edited by kap64

IMHO Denbigh is ok, a little hard to find since it's in the back of the shopping center, the do have some older kits along with new release. I wasn't thrilled at the prices though, they had some older kits priced higher than the newer reissue of the exact same kit.

There's a Hungate's in Greenbrier Mall in Chesapeake and Pembroke Mall in Pembroke, the malls are about 15-20 minutes apart if you use the interstate. Of the two the Pembroke Mall store has a better selection (as of last October) but as with all Hungate's stores I've been in everything will be at MSRP unless its on clearance.

Ken

• 3 years later...

If you can get on Norfolk Naval Base, there's a small hobby shop called Craftech. It's next door to the power plant and old gas station. You also have the usual chain stores like Hobbytown and Hungates. Denbigh Hobbies in Newport News has the best selection, but a little farther away. If you go there, it sits way back off of the main road in a shopping center. There's a Burger King out front of it.

Just wanted to say that Craftech is long gone. Or I'll put it this way, if it is still around, its not in the same location.

Hoops

• 6 years later...

So I am going to resurrect this thread for a minute to give an update.  Many local Hobby Stores have closed over the years due to extreme competition from the internet based sellers.  I last lived in the Norfolk area from 91-94.  I lived on NAS Norfolk and used to frequent Craftech frequently, even left several of my built models there for display.  Ah well!   Sadly many of these local hobby stores I used to frequent are now gone.  However, I am glad to report that Denbigh Hobby Center in Newport News is still up and running under new management.  The new owner, Dan, is very nice and helpful.  The old Hungate's hobby stores are closed, but Hobbytown USA has replaced/bought them out.  They have a location on Virginia Beach Blvd in Virginia Beach and another location in Newport News, not far from Denbigh. They are complete Hobby stores with a good portion of the store dedicated to scale modelling.  Lastly, there is Eagle Hobbies run from a home in Suffolk. I will investigate tomorrow.  Lastly, there are many specialty stores catering the model train enthusiast in the greater Norfolk area.  Hven't checked them out as that is not my cup of tea, however, may prove useful for diorama supplies and tools / material.  R/ Dutch