Hi All

Here is my next build the Eduard Hellcat. My collection is sorely missing anything with teeth so I figure I will do the shark/cat mouth one.

aa2.jpg

I started off with every intention of building this thing out of the box. Hey why wouldn’t I, the box contains excellent decals, a couple frets of PE, one in colour and even some masks for the wheels and canopy. What else would you need ?

Well the interior is a little bleak so after taking care of a couple injection pits I decided to add a bit of ribbing to spruce this area up.

aa3.jpg

aa4.jpg

The evergreen plastic that I had was tubes so flattened them with a bit of sanding overall I think it worked out OK

Next as fate would have it I stumbled upon a Hellcat seat from ultracast that seems to be a nice drop in replacement

aa.jpg

Last little thing was to get rid of the cowling

aa1.jpg

I am considering cutting the cowl flap out in order pose them open

Rob

Edited by grobber

Trying to keep up with crew chief, but I think he is too far ahead, anyway.

Here is my next update on the hellcat. It is truly a fun kit slap together. I am hoping to get some paint on it by the weekend so first thing is to button up the fuselage, which means finishing the cockpit. Sadly the kit does not include any of the levers for the throttle or mixture. I decided to and make some with stretched sprue, I think it helps.

bb4.jpg

bb7.jpg

bb8.jpg

bb9.jpg

Next was the tail wheel. I was looking at a pic of the real plane and I noticed that the dimples are actually holes. After seeing that, it became a glaring mistake that needed to be fixed immediately. Thus the pin vice and bits made short work of it.

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

Finally I got a start on the engine

A coat of flat aluminum

bb10.jpg

Followed by my oil wash.

bb15.jpg

bb13.jpg

Will post more later

Rob

Hi

Wow that cockpit is amazing ....!!! :D

i have a quick question for you how did you do the oil wash on the engine it look really good..

I just did one on mine but its not as realistic. I also had some fun with cooper wire its a first attempt for me

p1010436m.jpg

cheers

Neo

The oil wash looks nice. I've been painting mine flat black and drybrushing them with aluminum Metallizer, but the oils look better.

Next time :D

Ken

Thanks for the comments guys

For the oil wash I use a witch's brew of Windsor Newton oil paints (The tube kind) thinned will mineral spirits.

Basically what you want do is lowlight (is that a term) what would be the darker areas of the in between the cooling fins. To do this you want the paint that pool in the recessed area. To do this you need a paint that is not sticky (think half dried acrylic) and flows really well.

In this case I blended together burnt sienna and black to get a dirty mix and then very heavily thinned it with mineral spirits until it is the consistency of water, next apply it to the engine, you will know if it is thinned enough if the capillary action will draw it off the brush into the recesses without much effort.

I have also has success using acrylics thinned with water and a touch of dish detergent soap, the soap makes it not adhere well then prone to pooling.

Hope that helps

Rob

Edited by grobber

Hi All

Here is another update

I finished off the engine and am pretty happy with it.

I really like the Pratt and Whitney badge on it just a little detail that really pops

cc.jpg

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

There is really nothing the say about the construction, it does not exactly fall together but with a little care there is no need for putty. I did use a bit of Mr. Surfacer but nothing to write home about

For painting I did away with m usual “preshade†shot. What I did was a primmer coat first and then pre shaded. This was followed by Tamiya flat white. I usually paint from lightest to darkest but due to the nature of the scheme I broke away from this pattern and did the darkest blue on the wings and elevator

cc3.jpg

I then masked the wings and elevator so I could paint the sides

cc4.jpg

Next was the lighter blue

cc5.jpg

Finally the dark blue on top

cc6.jpg

Future and decals are next

Talk to you soon

Rob

Hi All

Here is another update. I did not like the exhaust pipes

dd2.jpg

So I drilled them out. I admit it is a little detail but it was bugging me

dd5.jpg

I also got the decals on

dd.jpg

Should be able to post some finished shots soon

Rob

Hi All here is my finished Eduard Hellcat.

The only thing I can really say about the kit is it is incredible value for the money. For the price of a 1/48 hase WW 2 kit you get PE, excellent quality decals, pre cut masks and a very well done kit to boot. Anyways comments and criticisms are welcome

Rob

ee1.jpg

ee2.jpg

ee3.jpg

ee4.jpg

ee5.jpg

ee6.jpg

ee7.jpg

ee8.jpg

ee9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...