1/72 Hobbycraft DHC-8?

Hobbycraft doesn't have this currently listed, but if anyone knows I figured this would be the place to ask.

Just wondering what versions of the Dash 8 Hobbycraft has done, and are these kits generally easy or hard to find? I don't know how long ago Hobbyboss made its last run of these. I only found one at ebay but that doesn't really mean much, it could be the first one in months or just a slow day and normally there are several.

Thanks

Hello Aaronw.

It isn't currently in production, but it can be found. I think Joydecals had one as the CC-142 (I think thats it).

Thats the one I have, it doesn't seem toooo bad, but some people don't like it.

For the only 1/72 DHC-8, its fine for me and looks decent.

If you like the DHC-8 and can get one for a good price, go for it!

There is the military and the civil (Air Ontario) versions of this kit. Widely regarded as the one kit likely to cause the downfall of western civilization.

This is the kit that started genocide in several small latin American counties and Iceland. Mothers grab their children off the streets , strong men cry and dogs and cats start having mixed relations whenever this kit is mentioned.

It is rumoured Hitler turned out the way he did after attempting to build this kit.

Its that bad.

Even worse then the Otter which has self melting windows.

Worse then the news of a Boy George and Culture Club reunion concert.

I don't like it.

Well, its more accurate than at least one kit.

I really don't think its too bad. Parts fit well, except for a slight warp in one wing.

It might be certain kits were good, or the edition.

If you are willing to put some work into it (depending on edition) it will look nice.

Oh, well I like a challenge. Does this kit result in such dispair because of fit (lack of) or just accuracy issues?

I'm interested in the kit because there is growing consideration for using it as an air tanker fighting wildland fires to replace the DC4,6 & 7s that were grounded in 2002.

Oh, well I like a challenge. Does this kit result in such dispair because of fit (lack of) or just accuracy issues?

I'm interested in the kit because there is growing consideration for using it as an air tanker fighting wildland fires to replace the DC4,6 & 7s that were grounded in 2002.

The fit is not perfect, and the wings are a bit of a pain to get looking correct. It will require some work, but patience and time will make it look really nice. I have an old one that I built years ago that I came across. I am tempted to strip it down, and rebuild it. I love the Dash 8.

In addition to horrible fit, the kit just doesn't build into even a good Dash-8. The old, rough Sasquatch 1/144 kit is more accurate in shape, which is really saying something. Back in 1991 or so, when I was flying Dash-8s for Henson, I bought the one with Henson/Piedmont decals from Aviation World in Toronto. The captain was also a modeler, and we borrowed some tape from a gate agent, put the big parts together, and took the kit out on the ramp to compare it with the real plane. Ugliness ensued. Pretty much everything forward of the passenger door needs to be reshaped. You'll need to fix the props, so they are feathered, the engine nacelles were off (can't recall the details), and the wings had issues (can't recall the details there, either). I've never been one to shy away from a challenge, but that's one kit that never got finished.

If you want an ill-fitting kit that looks like a Dash-8 from 20 yards, the HC kit will do. If you can find one, Platz's 1/144 kit is really nice, but expensive. They've reissued the HC kit, so avoid their 1/72 kit. I understand Flying Fish is supposed to re-release Nazca's very nice 1/144 -100/-200, -300, and -400 at some point in the future.

Cheers!

Ben

Its biggest (among many, many others) is that the windscreen is in completely the wrong XYZ position on the fuselage. There is no way to fix that aside from carving a new nose and smash- or vacuforming a replacement.

The Platz 1/144 resin Dash-8, on the other hand, is absolutely gorgeous and dead-nuts accurate.

J

I didn't know there was one in 1/144, that could work, it is certainly a more display space friendly scale. Unfortunately many of the other planes I'd want to do are not available in that scale, no S2 Tracker, P2V Neptune or P3 Orion that I've seen. :whistle:

Thanks for the info on the kits, I'll have to look at my options there. Pull my hair out or deal with mismatched scales. It's always something I guess. :beer4:

Here is one built but not exactly a civil version (The Leading Edge instructions do give some hints to fixing the kit a bit so if you get one ask here for someone to give you a copy of the instructions [or his earlier grey markings] even if not interested in the markings:

http://lemdecal.com/DH8%20models.html

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 10 years later...

HI Ben 

I know this is an old post and was written 2009 but I would like to know if you can answer thes questions   you said you flew a dash 8 could you tell me what color the instrument panel was along with seats and arm rest, also 

when you did the model how did you dealt with the wheel well or lack of what color do you paint the wheel well, reason I am asking is I have this kit and would like to try one more time at doing it with out messing it up thank you 

Ronald 

Edited by Ronald
typo

the Dash-8 cockpit is grey the seat cushions are a light grey, the instrument panels are grey as well.

the landing gear wells are painted white but get dirty QUICKLY. and considering the amount you can actually see I would just paint them dark grey.

Sorry, I just saw this. I never dealt with the wheel wells. The Hobby Craft kit was one of the few models I’ve bought that have ended up in the bin before they were finished.

IIRC, our seats had sheepskin covers. They were a dirty white from too many asses sitting on them.

Dylan is correct about the instrument panel and gear wells. I remember the panel, consoles, and everything else being something like Tamiya Medium Gray. The wells were White, but were so filthy, gray would work there, too.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Hi guys 

you'll have been very helpful with information on the Dash 8  I have another question for you  

what color would appropriate for the intake behind the prop  and top back part on the engine  since it is a model 

and the instructions are terrible they do not help in any way regarding painting the model 

Ronald 

Not that anyone has asked my opinion...:)

But having flown in them too many times, it's the most uncomfortable airliner I've ever flown in. And I've flown in a lot of the old 19 seat "commuter" class...99s, Metros, JetStreams, Banderanties...

I can't put my finger on ir, just not a fun airplane to fly in.

11 hours ago, Ronald said:

Hi guys 

you'll have been very helpful with information on the Dash 8  I have another question for you  

what color would appropriate for the intake behind the prop  and top back part on the engine  since it is a model 

and the instructions are terrible they do not help in any way regarding painting the model 

Ronald 

Hi Ronald. the intake is painted white, the intake lip is a inflatable rubber deice boot that is shiny black.

I cant help with aft top part of the engine, google might help.

thanks Dylan 

but since the intakes on the model are very small I will not be able to do both  black and white should I just paint the inside white as well or black way inside if I can get a brush in there, anyway while I am here I do have another question for you have you built this model before if so  you know the kit is white already what color primer should I use for the  cock pit area sine it will be painted light gray 

Ronald