A bit late, but here's my entry.

This was supposed to be an AC-47, but had an accident when my brother was staying over. Long story for another time. Instead, I will build it as a regular

cargo plane. So far, the wings have been glued, filled, sanded and the trailing edges thinned.

camerapictures358.jpg

I had to take care and get the fit right to get a good seam here.

camerapictures357.jpg

While I was dryfitting the completed wing assembly to the fuselage, I noticed that the tab that is molded at the end would not allow a good tight fit to the fuselage. So what I did was cut it off. The seam is still not perfect, but that's why we have putty.

camerapictures367.jpg

I didn't go overboard with the interior because everything will be closed up. I painted the interior with Modelmaster interior green. I'm not aiming for accuracy, just enough to make it look good from a distance.

camerapictures350.jpg

The wing root join will require some careful alignment and adjustments. It is just placed on there for now, but even so, the fit isn't good.

camerapictures374.jpg

Well, that's all for now. I'll try to work on it some more tonight. Any and all comments or critiques are welcome.

RYAN.

Oops, posted more pics that I'm allowed. This is the first part of the update.

I got the fit as good as I could, but:

camerapictures010-1.jpg

It's a lot of tape to close the seam at the wing root.

I managed to close the gap here, but I had some steps to deal with, hence the holes.

camerapictures016-1.jpg

I started filling the seams with Bondo red putty

camerapictures011-1.jpg

camerapictures014-2.jpg

camerapictures023.jpg

Edited by caudleryan

Update time. I painted the engines and attached them the the wing. I also glued the dome on top of the fuselage in place.

I had to trim a bit of plastic to make it fit. I also glued the stabs and attached them to the fuselage. I still have to putty the seams

and sand them.

camerapictures001-1.jpg

camerapictures002-1.jpg

camerapictures003-1.jpg

camerapictures004-1.jpg

camerapictures005-1.jpg

camerapictures007-1.jpg

camerapictures008-1.jpg

camerapictures009-2.jpg

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan

Small update. I finished painting the wheels.

camerapictures001-2.jpg

I'm also filling the seams on the stabs and sanding them flush.

camerapictures002-3.jpg

camerapictures005-2.jpg

I started on the landing gear as well.

camerapictures003-2.jpg

Thanks for reading.

RYAN.

Great progress.

Bummer the kit has all those gaps, a sign of the age of that kit. I remember building the C-47 kit as a kit, it has been around for a while. I still have a hard time plunking down the $$ for Trumpeters kit.

Looks good so far. Gotta get me one of these too one day. Which decals did you order? Something special, or just plain old OD over grey US?

Oh, and congrats on the new job, more modeling money is always nice.

Thanks, Pete. Love your C-119 by the way. I got my decals yesterday and this is the one I will do.

camerapictures003-3.jpg

camerapictures001-3.jpg

C-47A Honeybun lll, 80TCS/436TCG, Berkshire, UK 1945. What interests me about this one is that the invasion stripes were painted over but still visible.

Overall OD green over neutral gray, but highly faded with a white radome with a black demarcation line. The tallys on the side have a darker

background than the rest of the plane, so this should be interesting. I also flat coated the wheels. I have a couple of more seams to fill and I have to attach the front windscreen and then I can finally get around to painting the model.

Lovely weather we are having right now.

camerapictures004-3.jpg

camerapictures006-2.jpg

The car isn't mine.

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan

I have started painting the stripes. A bit pointless because it will get painted over when the main paint scheme goes on, but it will still be barely visible.

camerapictures378.jpg

camerapictures379.jpg

camerapictures380.jpg

camerapictures381.jpg

camerapictures382.jpg

camerapictures384-1.jpg

I also masked and glued the windscreen in. The fit was poor, but I left it alone.

camerapictures383.jpg

Hopefully, I can get some paint on it in the next few days. I'm kinda rushing it so I can finish it by the deadline which is fast approaching.

RYAN.

This is coming along pretty fast, now. I think I achieved the look I was aiming for. I wanted them to be painted over, but still see the stripes underneath the OD. What do you guys think?

camerapictures001-4.jpg

camerapictures002-5.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are very welcome, so don't feel shy.

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan
This is coming along pretty fast, now. I think I achieved the look I was aiming for. I wanted them to be painted over, but still see the stripes underneath the OD. What do you guys think?

As always, comments and critiques are very welcome, so don't feel shy.

RYAN.

I think I can still see them too. :lol:

I'd suggest another coat of paint if you want them completely covered.

Edited by Dez

Well, the subject that I am modelling still has the stripes. They were painted over, but you could still see them underneath the OD

paint and Neutral Gray. That is what I was trying to achieve.

RYAN.

Well, the subject that I am modelling still has the stripes. They were painted over, but you could still see them underneath the OD

paint and Neutral Gray. That is what I was trying to achieve.

RYAN.

If I'm not mistaken, weren't most invasion stripes painted on with water-based paint?

So maybe your scheme just has the stripes almost worn off versus painted over? I'm not sure. Anywho....

It's looking good so far. :cheers:

:wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...