Metal Finishes

Guest Justin

Guest Justin

Hi all!

I am looking for some help with metal finish detailing....Specifically when adding the "Heated Metal" look (Example: Engine Headers, Exhaust pipes and Nozzles, etc.)

What is the process of making weld lines and bends in headers, and pipes in general look like they have been hot and then cooled to make that "rainbow color" effect?

Im guessing it would be like base coat of a orangy, brass color metal paint then second coat of shiny color...then sand it off???? Is there some amazing trick out there for this?

I've seen pictures of this and the look is great...just trying to find a good way to do it.

Thanks for the great info!!!

Justin (lost in a sea of metal)

Hi Justin...the other Justin is talking :blink:

From what I understand that effect is best done with airbrushes, and Alclad makes various shades of metalizers (inc. burnt metal, I think) that may fit the bill for you. They're very easy to airbrush, and use lacquer thinner to clean the airbrush off.

Another thing you might try, if you don't have an airbrush, is to paint the exhaust area something like gunmetal or steel and then drybrush oranges, reds, steel, black, silver.

Justin Davenport

Guest Guest

Thanks Justin!

I like the airbrush idea...just going to have to find the right colors and do it a shade at a time.

I also read a previous posting where drybrushing was mentioned along with pastel chalk. I don't want it to be too dark. I would like it to be more like heated titanium...

I may experiment and use a combination of the two.

Thanks again!

Try a base coat of your favourite metallic finish (I like Alclad II or Humrol Metalcote), and then mist on thin coats of the appropriate Tamiya clear colours. They do grey (Smoke), blue, yellow, green, red and orange, so you can mix just about any shade you want to in order to depict the discolouration of the heat-stained metal.

Works for me!

HTH

Try a base coat of your favourite metallic finish (I like Alclad II or Humrol Metalcote), and then mist on thin coats of the appropriate Tamiya clear colours. They do grey (Smoke), blue, yellow, green, red and orange, so you can mix just about any shade you want to in order to depict the discolouration of the heat-stained metal.

Works for me!

HTH

Sorry about this - I don't know why I seem to have repeated myself!

Hi guys,

Appreciated the last round of info given about bare metal finish... THANKS to one and all :P

The problem I am facing is... Alcad is only available overseas... It is already pretty expensive..... :blink:

and the worse of all I have to pay hefty custom duties due to nature of content... Meaning it might cost me a BOMB :ph34r:

The only availability is Gunze ...from what I know so far in Singapore.

Accordingly... some one told me that by sanding the model till it is super smooth and followed by coats of Gunze silver and further light sanding and recoating the silver I might be able to achieve it... ? Any comments ??????

Singaporean modellers, any ideas or you know where to buy good metalizers instead of gunze... ( I mean Model Master metalizers the whole set or even Alcad ?

Justin,

Here is an example of an exhaust pipe. Basically, here are the approach I took:

- Flat black coat /Tamiya)

- Future'd

- Aluminum coat (Tamiya)

- Peel off the chips with masking tape

- Future'd

- Burnt Metal (MM metallizer)

- Added the square recesses to the feathers: Magnesium (MM metallizer)

- Oversprayed lightly some feathers with Transparent Orange, Blue, Violet or Brown (Rotring ACP Liquid Acrylics). I think Tamiya transparent would work too, but heavily thinned).

It sounds complicated, but I haven't found an easier way to achieve similar results. Try on a scrap part first.

exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10491273&w=800&h=604

exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=10487220&w=800&h=604

Guest Justin

Thanks to everyone for the posts! :blink:

Very helpful...I do have a hobbytown close by so I will see what I can get.

Got lots of new things to try!

Time to go play!!

Thanks again.

Justin

Hi Justin,

I dont know if this is the effect your looking for but its takes a little practice, the way I done this is after I finished the NMF I took a damp paper towel and laid it over the area I wanted stained then very carfully used red and blue sharpie permament markers and dabbed them over the area but be carefull to much will look cheesey.

HTH,

Greg.

Hi Justin,

I dont know if this is the effect your looking for but its takes a little practice, the way I done this is after I finished the NMF I took a damp paper towel and laid it over the area I wanted stained then very carfully used red and blue sharpie permament markers and dabbed them over the area but be carefull to much will look cheesey.

HTH,

Greg.

:blink: That is a FANTASTIC idea! So simple, so obvious. Why didn't I think of that?!? :)

I'm off to play around with some markers now. :P