thanks guys theres loads of usefull stuff, thanks

its for a tornado im making, ive stole the storm shaddows off the revell 1:48 eurofighter kit, and the paveways for a harrier, loads of ordanance on that kit

thanks again

The Tornado's deployed for Operation Telic operated as an air expeditionary wing - aircraft and crews were drawn from all of the RAFs front line squadrons. 617 Squadron (the famed Dambusters) based at RAF Lossiemouth are presently the RAF's 'lead' squadron for Storm Shadow and worked hard in the run up to the Iraq war to ensure its use was a success, but during operations itself one can't really pinpoint a particular squadron alone due to this wing structure which meant a shared effort all round.

The Tornado's deployed for Operation Telic operated as an air expeditionary wing - aircraft and crews were drawn from all of the RAFs front line squadrons. 617 Squadron (the famed Dambusters) based at RAF Lossiemouth are presently the RAF's 'lead' squadron for Storm Shadow and worked hard in the run up to the Iraq war to ensure its use was a success, but during operations itself one can't really pinpoint a particular squadron alone due to this wing structure which meant a shared effort all round.

thanks, thats interesting is its a 617 machine im working on

Although the jets were pooled, it is possible to identify which squadrons the jet was originally drawn from, by looking at the tailcode at the fin top. Despite the overall ARTF camo and lack of unit markings, the tailcodes that were painted over this remained the same as before the war... for example (here x would be a unique letter but following the following formats)

AJ-x = 617 squadron

Bx = 14 squadron

Fx = 12 squadron

2 and 13 squadrons have a single letter tailcode (and 13 sometimes has XIII on the fin of its OCs own jet!).

31 squadron has Dx.

Not sure on 9 squadron, it will come to me eventually!

Most jets these days have the 001-142 range of numerical codes which signify their build order of those jets which were upgraded to GR4 status :)

i think 9sqn is A (then the airframe prexif letter ) so Ax that makes spike7451's picture a 9 sqn machine i think?

I believe that the GB on the right is/was OC 9 Sqn.

I have a thread on the Tornado HERE

Edited by spike7451