?is there a Avro Shackelton kit ?

hi guys help me out

im trying to find a kit for a shackelton, i believe there was a 'sanger kit' a while ago but is there any others out there???

If you're looking for injection kits in 1/72, Frog made a MR3 kit, re-released by Chematic, Museum, Novo and Revell. The Revell kit is supposed to have a slightly revised tooling, but I don't know first hand. Aeroclub makes MR2 and AEW2 conversions.

Sanger has MR1, MR2 and MR3 vacform kits in 1/72.... http://www.sangereng.fsnet.co.uk/Products.htm (scroll down)

They also have released a MR3 kit in 1/48, with the MR1, MR2 and AEW2 kits slated for 2008 release (according to the website) http://www.sangereng.fsnet.co.uk/ (scroll down about 1/3 of the way down the page, below the B-47 decals)

If you know what version you want, these are your choices. If you're looking for 1/48, just drop Gerald at Sanger an email.

Hope this helps.

:cheers:

thanks

im after a MR.3/3 for WR977 which currently resides at Newark Air Museum (uk) 10mins drive form me, so can get loads of photos

www.newarkairmuseum.org

i didnt know revell made a kit does anyone know what its like? if its not up to scratch i go with the vac form kit (but i would prefer injection mouldings)

0821318.jpg

If you're looking for injection kits in 1/72, Frog made a MR3 kit, re-released by Chematic, Museum, Novo and Revell. The Revell kit is supposed to have a slightly revised tooling, but I don't know first hand. Aeroclub makes MR2 and AEW2 conversions.

:cheers:

It was also re-boxed by AMT and a few years ago, Eastern Express re-boxed the kit.

The Revell/Frog/etc kit is basically OK for shape but is so covered in overscale rivets that it looks like it has a skin disease. Also fit isn't reputed to be massivley good. Having said that, it is a Frog kit, so it's good for its day - you just have to remember what the state of the art was in its day.

On top of the ones already mentioned, CMK do all variants in resin in 1/144. They're expensive but they're very, very good.

Ditto on the rivet assessment, in a pinch the skin can be used for rough sandpaper. I believe the tires are also oversize, or the wheel wells are too small. I built it when I was a kid and tried to utilize the working features that come with it, one of which is the retractable gear, but the tires are waaaaaaaay too wide for the wells. The decals seemed to be a little short on adhesive and a lot flaked off after drying but any re-boxings may be better. Apart from those issues I remember it as being a nice build and certainly looking like a Shackleton when finished.

If you're looking for injection kits in 1/72, Frog made a MR3 kit, re-released by Chematic, Museum, Novo and Revell. ...

I remember building the FROG kit as a ten-eleven year old back in early 1969. Cost about 8 shillings (40p) and it was deinitely FAB, complete with epidermal abrasive rivets and blue plastic.

Nice to know it didn't quite disappear!

Tony T

The Revell re-release is slightly better then the original Frog model but with a little love and effort you can turn it into an excellent model.

Here is a build done by a friend of mine on a Dutch modelling site : http://forum.modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19542 Unfortunatly his progress has stagnated as he is waiting for me to get him pictures of the wheel wells.

If you happen to pop down to the museum again and are able to photograph the indise of the wheel wells than I'd love a picture or two :)

I have to get my butt into gear too and build a Shack this year.

Cheers,

Andrew

Avoid the Sanger vac forms if you can - they were released at a time when Frog kits were very hard to find (mid 80s) - pretty crude (I have a couple!)

The Revell release has the best decals (The plastic is pretty much the same in all releases)

I have a Shackleton MR3 from modelcraft. The box says printed in Canada - molded in Russia. Don't know if this is a re-pop of another kit. I haven't gotten into it yet, but it appears to be a nice kit. I don't know what evils are waiting for me. I personally think the AC is ugly but maybe it will grow on me - dunno.

My 2cents (CDN)

Paul

I have a Shackleton MR3 from modelcraft. The box says printed in Canada - molded in Russia. Don't know if this is a re-pop of another kit. I haven't gotten into it yet, but it appears to be a nice kit. I don't know what evils are waiting for me. I personally think the AC is ugly but maybe it will grow on me - dunno.

My 2cents (CDN)

Paul

Did you manage to find a Shack?

Maybe he's not very observant to have not seen your first post ;)

Newark Air Museum has had the Revell kit in many times. :worship:

ian.

Maybe he's not very observant to have not seen your first post :D

Newark Air Museum has had the Revell kit in many times. :thumbsup:

ian.

Maybe I am just too impatient as I would love to see a Shack build here.

I have to visit Newark someday. On google earth I found a few preserved Shacks in the UK, also AWE2's :worship:

Maybe I am just too impatient as I would love to see a Shack build here.

I have to visit Newark someday. On google earth I found a few preserved Shacks in the UK, also AWE2's :whistle:

There is currently one at the PIMA Museum that is almost finished restoration.

Here is the link.