Copying Sean...sort of.

I'll be using the 1/32 Hasegawa 'Black Tulip' Luftwaffe Sabre 6 as the starting point. A couple of build points:

- I'm not going to to graft the resin wingtips onto the wings.

- Instead of the true Sheffield Luxor Pale Gold, I'll be using Alclad Gold. It's close enough for the girls I go with.

- For markings, I'll be using CanMilAir Decals set # 191.

- I'm waiting for a couple of sets of Scale Aircraft Conversion's white metal landing gear for this and other 1/32 scale Sabre projects.

- I'll be adding a couple of AMS Resin 'sugar scoop' intakes.

- The cockpit tub is quite spartan but with a set of belts, a paper towel / masking tape seat cushion and subtle weathering, it should some out somewhat presentable.

I started building last week. Part of the cockpit tub is completed along with the intake runner and the Orenda engine. The kit is designed so that the built up engine, which is quite detailed, can be posed inside or outside the aircraft. The fuselage comes in 4 pieces; left front, left rear, right front and right rear. I've decided that I'm just going to build the engine (minus all the details), install it into the fuselage, and glue all 4 fuselage parts together...the KISS principle. I'm also not going to add the smoke tubling along the fuselage like the real Sabre 6 had. I don't want to screw up the finish for the Alclad.

One thing that kind of perplexes me about the 1/32 scale kit design is why Hasegawa changed the moulding of the intake runner. On the 1/48 scale jets, they moulded the runner with top and bottom parts and in 1/32 scale, they moulded left and right. The real Sabre intakes were built and welded like the 1/48 design with a weld bead running down each side of the entire intake. :worship: Oh well...

In the end, the rivet counters will have a field day discussing the inaccuracies of my Golden Hawk Sabre 6. To them I say, "Have at it." I'll have a Sabre that will closely resemble the real thing and that will be sufficient for me. Will post photos in the near future.

Thanks for tletting me play.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Here's a Sabre intake from Hawk One

note it is not "welded" but rivetted, and not much of a seam at that

Tony

SatnightGala020.jpg

Copying Sean...sort of.

I'll be using the 1/32 Hasegawa 'Black Tulip' Luftwaffe Sabre 6 as the starting point. A couple of build points:

- I'm not going to to graft the resin wingtips onto the wings.

- Instead of the true Sheffield Luxor Pale Gold, I'll be using Alclad Gold. It's close enough for the girls I go with.

- For markings, I'll be using CanMilAir Decals set # 191.

- I'm waiting for a couple of sets of Scale Aircraft Conversion's white metal landing gear for this and other 1/32 scale Sabre projects.

- I'll be adding a couple of AMS Resin 'sugar scoop' intakes.

- The cockpit tub is quite spartan but with a set of belts, a paper towel / masking tape seat cushion and subtle weathering, it should some out somewhat presentable.

I started building last week. Part of the cockpit tub is completed along with the intake runner and the Orenda engine. The kit is designed so that the built up engine, which is quite detailed, can be posed inside or outside the aircraft. The fuselage comes in 4 pieces; left front, left rear, right front and right rear. I've decided that I'm just going to build the engine (minus all the details), install it into the fuselage, and glue all 4 fuselage parts together...the KISS principle. I'm also not going to add the smoke tubling along the fuselage like the real Sabre 6 had. I don't want to screw up the finish for the Alclad.

One thing that kind of perplexes me about the 1/32 scale kit design is why Hasegawa changed the moulding of the intake runner. On the 1/48 scale jets, they moulded the runner with top and bottom parts and in 1/32 scale, they moulded left and right. The real Sabre intakes were built and welded like the 1/48 design with a weld bead running down each side of the entire intake. :P Oh well...

In the end, the rivet counters will have a field day discussing the inaccuracies of my Golden Hawk Sabre 6. To them I say, "Have at it." I'll have a Sabre that will closely resemble the real thing and that will be sufficient for me. Will post photos in the near future.

Thanks for tletting me play.

Mike

Barney:

Thank for the tip in my other thread about the Sheffiled Luxor Pale Gold. I'll go hunting next week!

Tony:

Thanks for the photo. The intake in Hawk 1 is highly polished and I will agree that there doesn't seem to be much of a weld seam. It is , certainly much more polished than would have come off the assembly line at Canadair. Two gentlemen I know, Sabre pilots in the 50's and 60's, have told me that the join line in the intake in somewhat pronounced and they believe there may have been welding involved. I also have a photo of the intake trunk of the Sabre 6 at the Canada Aviation Museum and the seam is definitely more pronounced than the intake in Hawk 1. That's the basis for my statement.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Tony - here's a photo of the intake of the Sabre at the Canada Aviation Museum. The seam is a bit more pronounced than the one in Hawk 1 but in retrospect, it's still not as bad as I previously thought. We'll split it 50 / 50.

Intake-1.jpg

As for the build, the cockpit tub is done. Compared to the resin cockpits that are out there, the kit one is spartan, except for the instrument panel. It's very nicely detailed but it's not RCAF standard. Close enough for me. I added a seat cushion and rudimentary tape belts along with some aluminum dry brushing to simulate a bit of wear.

The basic engine is complete and it will be glued into the rear of the intake runner and the exhaust nozzle will be glued to the rear of the engine. There are a number of ejector pin marks in the exhaust nozzle. To eliminate the need for filling and sanding of imperfections in the intake trunk and exhaust nozzle, the kit supplied intake and exhaust covers will be painted red and installed. Presto! Out of sight, out of mind.

I'm still waiting of the metal landing gear I ordered from Scale Aircraft Conversions in mid April. I love Canada Post and the Customs and Revenue Agency...NOT!

The build is coming slowly but surely. I have a just over a month's worth of holidays coming up so hopefully I'll be able to get some work done on the plastic projects I have on the go.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Edited by AX 365
  • 1 month later...

Well I've got the landing gear from Scale Aircraft Conversions. They look great. I've got the engine assembled and all four fuselage pieces joined. The innards have been installed and the fuselage glued together. The panels for the gun bays have been glued in place but there is a small noticeable seam. I've also installed the nose ring and had a bit of an issue as described by Harvey in his build. The speed brakes will be closed on this one so hopefully the seams there won't be too bad either. Photos of the progress will be posted later. I'm going out to a build night with A/M Sabre in tow and hopefully I'll get a bit more of it done tonight.

Mike

I got a few things done last night. I got the canopy rear deck items installed and I glued the ailerons and flaps together as well as doing a bit of sanding and telling lots of jokes and clowning around with friends. Not alot accomplished but at least some progress was made. As promised, a few photos.

The Kit

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Wings and other stuff yet to be assembled

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Fit Issues

DSC_0003-4.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

SAC White Metal Gear

DSC_0011.jpg

CanMilAir Decals

DSC_0014-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

There's a very minor issue with one of the deals on the sheet, as you may notice. I've sent a note to Bill to advise him. In all the times I've used Bill's product, this is the first time I've encountered an issue. I know he'll set it right.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Keep up the good work.

Whats the issue with the decals?

Julien

Thanks Julien.

Look at the decal stripe underneath the two roundels in the upper right corner. You'll see that the red didn't go over the white properly and there's a streak on the decal. I've contact Bill at CanMilAir and he'll be sending me a replacement of that part of the sheet. A class act, he is.

Mike

Thanks Julien.

Look at the decal stripe underneath the two roundels in the upper right corner. You'll see that the red didn't go over the white properly and there's a streak on the decal. I've contact Bill at CanMilAir and he'll be sending me a replacement of that part of the sheet. A class act, he is.

Mike

Mike,

Decal went out in the mail this afternoon.

Pity about the fit issues Mike but it's looking good so far. By the way do you have any pics of the rear deck behind the seat? I'm struggling to find any decent shots.

Keep up the good work

regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Bill:

Canada Post delivered the decal this morning. Now that's service! Thank you, my friend.

Andrew:

Unfortunately, I don't have the photos you request. The staff at the Canada Aviation Museum were gracious enough to let me get up close to their Sabre but no joy getting in the cockpit or getting photos of the top of the fuselage. Perhaps you mighty drop TonyH a PM. He has a Sabre at his disposal at the Canadian Warplane Heritage. He might be able to help.

Mike

• 1 month later...

A minor bit of progress made over the last month...and I mean minor. No pictures yet but I will post some later. Since my last update, I've glued the wings together along with the workable leading edge slats. Not perfect, but not bad. I've also started gluing them to the fuselage. Some filler may be required to get a tight seal. Will advise.

I've filled and sanded the trench beside the landing lights. A little styrene strip and some putty. Presto! Change-o! Be Gone-o! Also filled are the other dents and gaps outlined in the photos above. I fear the step on the gun access panel may still be noticeable but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...maybe.

I also checked out the fit of the SAC white metal landing gear. Fortunately I ordered multiple sets. The first one I opened had two left main struts. Ooooops. They will require some work to look right but they look better than the kit pieces.

That's it for now. As I said, I'll post some photos later, with the next update.

Mike

What a pity that things aren't going your way. Poorly fitting Hasegawa kit (now what's going on there?) and two left feet. After contacting Kinetic for my missing wing fences I was supplied with two new ones from their Australian distributor. Keep going bro. I'm sure you'll do a good job.

Regards your brother in arms from Oz

Andrew :D

P.S. Look forward to the next lot of pics.

Photo time...

With the wings attached

DSC_0036.jpg

Seam along upper rear fuselage

DSC_0037.jpg

Nose trench filled in

DSC_0039.jpg

Rear Wing to fuselage join

DSC_0040.jpg

Rear canopy deck built up

DSC_0043.jpg

Wing tanks and other stuff

DSC_0044.jpg

I may get this done by the end of the month.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

Another small bit of progress made. Flaps and ailerons have been glued in place as have the AMS Resin 'sugar scoops'. Main and nose wheels also glued together. Also, as can be seen in photos above, the speed brakes have been glued shut and the rudder has been glued in place. At this point, there's not much left to assemble prior to priming and checking the seams to see what needs to be worked on before shooting the Alclad II Gold. I'll leave the horizontal stabilizers off to facilitate masking the area that needs to be sprayed with 'burnt metal' around the exhaust opening. Maybe more work this weekend...maybe not. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a whole lot of major progress since the last update. I did the spot priming along the seams and did some more sanding and filling. I think it's as good as it's going to get. I finished giving it a grey primer coat all over not long ago. I've been as sick as a dog with a cold I've had for a week. It sucks. I'll check on the Sword later on and see how it looks. If there is more extensive sanding required, I'll do that. If it's passable, I'll give it a quick wet sand and then shoot a coat of black and then the gold. Time to work on this will be at a premium from now until deadline as I start afternoons / evenings on Monday. Will need to work like a man with his pants on fire to get this one done.

Stay tuned for more.

Thanks.

Mike

Well the grey went on really nice and the seams are passable. I did a light wet sand with 2000 grit paper and shot a light coat of gloss black. Another quick wet sand tomorrow, if dry enough, and another light coat of gloss black. Then we be ready for the gold and burnt metal.

Keeping the fingers crossed...

No photos but I got a coat of the Alclad II Pale Gold down this morning. Went out and bought another bottle for the second coat. Tuned out reasonably well. The proof will be in the pudding when the whole thing is done.

Thanks guys. Coming along. Anti-glare panel sprayed along with wheel wells. Need to shoot aluminum colour onto the inside of the landing gear doors. Will do that tonight when I get home from work. I dipped the canopy in Future yesterday. I'm working afternoons / evenings all weekend so I'll mask and spray the canopy on Monday and aim for doping the decals and final assembly on Tuesday.

As the old saying goes...If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

In the home stretch now. Decals are on and SAC metal landing gear are in place. Tires and rims painted. Canopy and windscreen masked and painted. Just a couple of things to finish up tomorrow and we're all set. Once it's finished, I'll send a couple of preview photos to Bill at CanMilAir and then I'll post photos here.

The finish line is in sight. Thanks for the encouragement, boys.

Mike