Im well chuffed. I have been looking to buy a 1/48 Viking for a while now. I found one in Modelzones cheap section in a scruffy box. Only £11. Am i wasting my time getting an aftermarket cockpit with that tinted canopy? Any build issues?

Thanks

The italeri S-3 is pretty much the old ESCI kit just re-boxed.

In my opinion, I wouldn't put an aftermarket pit in with the tinited glass. Some resing seats maybe, but that's just me.

The build itself is pretty straight forward, the only issues being the intakes, which I believe someone made resin corrections for them, but I can't remember who. And of course, Steel Beach Accesories has intake covers for them.

i don't know if it's still in their catalog, but Squadron at one time made a clear v-formed canopy for the Viking. that way you could tint the sides a little lighter and have the front semi-clear like the real plane. just a thought if you're wanting to use an AM pit.

Bill

I have built the Viking in 1/48 4 times. Once I put in the resin cockpit as I got a really good deal on it. When the canopy was in place you could not tell the difference from the other 3 models with stock OOB cockpits.

I suggest saving your money. You really get no advantage with the aftermarket pit.

that way you could tint the sides a little lighter and have the front semi-clear like the real plane.

Bill

Bummer.... all those hours looking out the Viking, never knew the canopy tint was different. It was clear out the front, and clear out the side.

S-3BCollin.jpg

s39.jpg

The kit canopy is too dark, but the real thing is pretty darn uniform. A lot of confusion arises when folks see S-3 pics from different angles and it looks like the tint of the canopy is different. It's different because of the shadow effects created by the dark rear bulkhead or shadows in the cockpit and many times your seeing light on the backside of the canopy after it passes through two differnt layers of the canopy.

Look at both pictures. You can see the reflection of the canopy in my visor. It's all the same tint.

Cheers

Atis

i don't know if it's still in their catalog, but Squadron at one time made a clear v-formed canopy for the Viking. that way you could tint the sides a little lighter and have the front semi-clear like the real plane. just a thought if you're wanting to use an AM pit.

Bill

You can get the Squadron canopy from here:

Modelcrafts & Hobbies NZ

They're actually the NZ stockist for Squadron/Falcon Canopies (I think) as it's also the same city (Wellington) where they are manufactured. My LHS even though it's about 1000km away :wave: