Questions about prewar USAAC bombers

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about prewar USAAC bombers that hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people can help with: Did bombers use the same markings as fighters as in fuselage and/or wing stripes and cowling colors? I found a picture of a B-17B that I was hoping someone could fill in the blanks as to what I'm getting at. Also can someone tell me what the emblem is on the nose and is it available in a 1/72 scale decal? Would the yellow fuselage band just wrap around or does it go to a specific spot like the sides or base of the radio operator's window, and would the "BS34" be on the opposite top of the wing too?

If these questions are too specific are there any good reference sources for markings of prewar bombers? I have the Academy 1/72 scale B-17B and I'm looking for markings options. Thank you for any help you can give.

Chris

b17c-3.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have some questions about prewar USAAC bombers that hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people can help with: Did bombers use the same markings as fighters as in fuselage and/or wing stripes and cowling colors? I found a picture of a B-17B that I was hoping someone could fill in the blanks as to what I'm getting at. Also can someone tell me what the emblem is on the nose and is it available in a 1/72 scale decal? Would the yellow fuselage band just wrap around or does it go to a specific spot like the sides or base of the radio operator's window, and would the "BS34" be on the opposite top of the wing too?

If these questions are too specific are there any good reference sources for markings of prewar bombers? I have the Academy 1/72 scale B-17B and I'm looking for markings options. Thank you for any help you can give.

Chris

b17c-3.jpg

Here's my .02 zlotys based on research I've done:

-- Dunno the squadron marking without looking in up in Dana Bell's Air Force Colors. I have a 1/72 sheet of USAAC insignia that may include that squadron; I'll check tomorrow. The emblem is yours if I have it.

-- The yellow band is a flight leader marking that would wrap around the entire fuselage; note the angle...can't remember if that's 3rd or 4th flight

-- BS34 would appear on the top of the port (same) wing, not starboard.

Anyone with different info, plz jump in!

:thumbsup: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

That's a great start Les thank you. It's more than I knew before so I really appreciate it.

Best guess from Dana's book is 32nd Bombing Squadron. Sorry, that's not one of the insignia on the 1/72 sheet I have.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

How pre war are we talking here? I always thought that the B-17 entered service close enough to the onset of war to have required some sort of camo paint job (ie post 1939), even just neutrality grey (NB not Neutral Grey), rather than the bare metal finish seen in this photo. Could this be a Boeing publicity shot of an aircraft in spurious service markings? That bare metal finish just does not seem right to me although I would be the first to admit that Pre-war US bombers and colours are not my thing and I know next to nothing about them.

How pre war are we talking here? I always thought that the B-17 entered service close enough to the onset of war to have required some sort of camo paint job (ie post 1939), even just neutrality grey (NB not Neutral Grey), rather than the bare metal finish seen in this photo. Could this be a Boeing publicity shot of an aircraft in spurious service markings? That bare metal finish just does not seem right to me although I would be the first to admit that Pre-war US bombers and colours are not my thing and I know next to nothing about them.

The Y1B-17 thru B-17D all served in NMF prior to the start of OD/Neutral Gray camo in 1941. Dana Bell's Air Force Colors Vol. 1 has several pix of such aircraft.

:) Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)

• 2 weeks later...

BS on the tail would mean 19th BG, B for bombardment, and S, the nineteenth letter, for the group number. Insignia would be, as stated before, for the 32nd BS, assigned to the 19th BG from 24 Jun. 34. It later ended up with the 301st BG, 15th AF.

Best wishes,

Grant

• 1 year later...

Holy resurecting thread, Batman! Would it be possible to make a decal for the 32nd Bomb Squadron emblem on the nose of this B-17B? The emblem is pretty well illustrated in Dana Bell's book.

Holy resurecting thread, Batman! Would it be possible to make a decal for the 32nd Bomb Squadron emblem on the nose of this B-17B? The emblem is pretty well illustrated in Dana Bell's book.

It'd be very easy to do. All you need are a good printer, some clear decal film (don't by a kit, just google decal film, plenty of inexpensive suppliers) and some clear spray acrylic from a crafts dept.