FORGET CHINESE SUKHOIS!!

Guys - sorry I took the thread off track. I am reminded why we don't have Real Aviation any more.

To return this to a modeling thread, does anybody know of any existing decals for the Ukrainian splinter scheme in 1/32? I was pretty sure I'd seen some before, but a cursory look through my normal suppliers was unsuccesful. I'm certain I probably missed something...

ABL is cancelled

What is ABL? EDIT: Just found out.

I agree...this is the perfect motivation for me to build my first Flanker...my first Russian aircraft for that matter!

SLICK

Edited by slick95
Guys - sorry I took the thread off track. I am reminded why we don't have Real Aviation any more.

To return this to a modeling thread, does anybody know of any existing decals for the Ukrainian splinter scheme in 1/32? I was pretty sure I'd seen some before, but a cursory look through my normal suppliers was unsuccesful. I'm certain I probably missed something...

That would be us:

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/lhd32007.htm

There's something very fishy about the bort numbers of the of the two UBs photographed. We did a lot of research into Ukrainian Su-27s for our sheet and were fortunate to obtain photos from CFE inspections dating back to 2006 of virtually all flyable UKrAF Flankers at both Zhitomir and Mirgorod. The lowest bort number recorded for a UB in frontline Ukrainian service is '41' to my knowledge. The only exception was Red/Yellow 38 belonging to GANIC at Kirovskoye.

The UBs photographed in the US have clearly been overhauled at Zaporizhia (you can see the DARZ badge at the base of the fin), but I'm suspecting that '31' and '32' are not UkrAF bort numbers and these aircraft were not in service with the UkrAF, despite the camo. scheme. Whatever happened to the second batch of Flankers destined for Eritrea?

I'm thus assuming that these are 'export' airframes, inherited and 'tarted' up by the Zaporizhia DARZ to look like UkrAF UBs. As ever, others may know more.

Edited by Linden Hill

I think Linden Hill is on it...

Edit: Ha never mind!

And Waco, thank you I learned a lot from your posts and appreciated your humor, tact, and poise.

I don't know if this is a new scheme or different colors but Ukrainian Flankers can be downright vibrant!

0607109.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
The UBs photographed in the US have clearly been overhauled at Zaporizhia (you can see the DARZ badge at the base of the fin), but I'm suspecting that '31' and '32' are not UkrAF bort numbers and these aircraft were not in service with the UkrAF, despite the camo. scheme. Whatever happened to the second batch of Flankers destined for Eritrea?

I'm thus assuming that these are 'export' airframes, inherited and 'tarted' up by the Zaporizhia DARZ to look like UkrAF UBs. As ever, others may know more.

Hmmm. Interesting. Is it possible they just painted new bort numbers on them for export? I've never seen it officially printed in these media releases as to where they imported the jets, I just assumed from the paint scheme that they were Ukranian.

Well this is getting interesting, are all sites getting pulled with info now? Looks like the owners are not happy about it not being so hush hush.

Well this is getting interesting, are all sites getting pulled with info now? Looks like the owners are not happy about it not being so hush hush.

I noticed that too! It's too late now. ARC knows about the SU-27's!

SLICK

There was some talk on another discussion board in a galaxy far, far away....... about whether Sukhoi was involved in this 'purchase'....

I replied with the following........... which I think is worth remembering...

You're all thinking of Sukhoi in western terms - as a 'company' that makes aircraft.

This is (or was) not the case in Soviet times.

The Sukhoi design bureau (OKB) designed the aircraft - but it was built at Komsomolsk na Amur (KnAAPO), Irkutsk (IAPO) and Novosibirsk (NAPO).

KnAAPO built single-seat Su-27's, IAPO built two-seat Su-27UB's and NAPO built Su-34s.

Added to that was a network of Aircraft Repair Plants (ARZ) - who would refurbish anything from airframes to engines to avionics - according to their specialities.

These two Su-27UB's come from the Ukraine - where the (local) ARZ's will have the ability to provide spares support.

Lots of parts (instruments, actuators, components etc) would also have been made in the Ukraine - as part of the supply chain to IAPO etc.

Indeed, Ukraine 'inherited' lots of manufacturing capability for Russian designs following the breakup of the FSU - two of the bigger ones being the Ivchenko Progress and Motor Sich engine designers.

So Sukhoi, whilst being the ultimate design authority, have probably nothing whatsoever to do with the deal.

I also suspect that the aircraft would have been 'sanitized' by the Ukrainians before they were transferred so as not to compromise IFF codes, radar frequencies etc.

Just my two penn'orth.

Ken

Yes Ken I agree with you!

For sure, those two UBs are overhauled in Zaporozhye ARZ, on pictures there is no radar, CRT screen in cockpit, some instruments missing from cockpit etc..

it would be nice toy for rich people!

I heard that the ATF does not allow Larry Ellison's (founder and CEO of Oracle) private Mig-29 to fly: how do the owners plan to fly these things?

Since when does the ATF have any thing to do with what flies in the US? If live automatic weapons were mounted on the a/c they might be interested but only in the weapons (would be just as interested in the weapons if they were locked in a broom closet in the hanger). On the other hand, the FAA has always been antsy about the thought of a civilian private owner operating a former military jet fighter type a/c (especially if it's capable of going supersonic). And since 9-11, things have gotten worse (although I can totally understand it)

The ATF is involved because it has jurisdiction over any weapon or potential weapon (ie aircraft wether it have guns or only the potential to launch a weapon) that enters the united states or is built in the united states. I think everything from mig-17's to mig-29's are inspected when they enter the country.