OK, so I know I should already know this, but here goes anyway. I'm about to decal an AIM-54 Phoenix from the Tamiya Tomcat kit, and I was wondering what the proper procedure for Future and decals is.

My first question is this - I put Future before the decals go on, and then another coat afterwards right?

My second question is this - Do I just put Future where the decals will go, or do I put a coat on the whole missile?

My third and final question is this - How long should I let the Future dry before I decal the missile, and how long after I decal should I put on the other coat of Future?

Thanks for the help, guys, and hopefully I didn't confuse the hell out of you.

:P

1. That's the best procedure, as it evens out the surface - both the level of the surface and the shine. You don't HAVE to re-gloss after decalling, though.

2. It's up to you. I'd apply it (or any gloss) to the whole missile, to give it a consistent finish, but again, you don't HAVE to. Some people use Future as a sort of setting solution, so in this case, you don't have to apply it to the model first at all - just brush on a pool of the stuff, plop the decal in the pool, on the model and let dry. Not what I'd do, but it can be done.

3. I'd give it the better part of a day (at least) for the Future to cure. If you decal too soon, you'll re-melt the Future (easily), which CAN lead to clouding (the future will turn a milky, cloudy white under the decal). You should be safe a day later though. Ditto any over coat over the decals - a day after you've got them completely applied and settled down, at least. More time is better, particularly with the decals, but you should be okay with a day minimum.

Hello there ,I have probably mentioned this before ,but I have never used setting solutions before (although I do have them in my supplies desk drawer) for some fear of botching my decal jobs. Now mind you ,I have only been modeling(or assembling as some would say... ;) ) for just over a year and have built about 20 kits so far and have only used Future as my setting solution to do the entire plane ,nose to tail ,and have had great results.For some reason I read about using Future on ARC for applying decals and tried it and never looked back.I find it quick ,easy and can do an entire kit in a matter of hours,not days.The procedure is basically the same ,keeping in mind the basic rules of having a glossy surface to start with.

After painting the kit I gloss coat the entire plane ( I have also started mixing gloss finish & LT to flat paints.Makes for a smoother paint job,less chance of "pebbling /gritty" effect ,less gloss coat in the final application)

I use a variety of gloss finishes ,MM gloss coat ,Humbrol gloss cote (my fav. nice and clear ,no amber color ,comes in a square glass bottle , and Future (brushed on with a wide 1/2 ,3/4,1" soft brush)

As usual,dip decal in " HOT" water , brush on future where decal is to go and apply decal. Brush a little more Future over decal and smooth out & flatten air bubbles .Don`t doddle ,the Future sets somewhat quickly.At this point the decal will wrinkle ,but not always.I then start another decal in the same area and keep an eye on the previous one,looking for air bubbles etc. and apply a little more Future as needed,sometimes pricking the decal to allow air out and Future in.I then use a hair drier (opptional) and blast the decal with hot air.The decal will be sucked into the model as the Future dries & cures looking painted on ,just like setting solutions.But unlike setting solution ,Future does not react with decals and the chance of ruining them is lessened.

Next day,apply gloss coat or Future to entire model to smooth everything out and blend the finish.

I then apply a satin or flat finish over the finished kit the next day and DONE.. :wave:

I have developed my own technique and it works very well for me,never had a problem yet.

Hey,who knows,one day I may give Micro -sol/set a crack one day. :lol:

HTH

Paul T