Nimitz-class flight deck plan

Dear ARCers,

Still in progress, but here it is: A scaled plan of a Nimitz-class flight deck. As far as level of detail is concerned I have mainly focused on the JDB (thrust/blast/shield) and the catapult.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/15265905/94095431/sharing.html

NEW http://www.4shared.com/folder/vC-7XKXl/_online.html

I have provided both a scaled 1/48 and 1/32 plan. The file format is dwg. So you need an appropriate software to open it.

It is not dimensioned. I will get back to this as soon as I have more time.

The plan is BIG. So is the file - for a dwg. So I think it might be a good idea to make sure you have a computer that is up for the task.

I have also provided three jpg images. These are exactly A4 size. If you print the jpgs out precisely in 1:1 scale you get an idea of the very scale and size of this plan.

Everything - especially the detail - is still in progress. If you find a mistake, please feel free to make a correction, upload and share your contribution.

Opinions, ideas and especially criticism are very welcomed.

One more thing: Please do not use this for a commercial purpose. I have invested work into this for a general, hobby-orientated purpose. My effort becomes a public benefit - do not make it your personal gain!

BTW If you can add photographs, text or anything else amending, feel free to send me data - I will be happy to add it to the library!

well then fellow modellers, I am looking forward to see some serious flight deck diorama-building in the near future :rolleyes:/>

bluesbrothers.gif

Edited by designfriemel
Looks cool...just FYI: CVN-76 and 77 have different deck configurations - wider deck, repositioned catapults & JBD's along with more angle in the landing area.

We should have put our heads together before!

Well I knew that there are differences but only from photos. If you can add material that I can use for correction please do so.

I only know JDB MK I and II. The catapults in the plan are drawn from photos that seem to be from the same filght deck's photo shoot.

To put it in a nutshell: I do not have enough reference material for comparison.

Awesome work dude! Only thing are all these with out color?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, what you see are just images from a polyline drawing. It functions as a plan for scratch building. However if being imported into a graphics program you are able to add colour and texture by using the layer principle. I am looking forward to someone 'rendering' an area.

thx dude

Martin,

How do I open the dwg files? What program do I need?

Thanks a million!

RG

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.dwg

there, you can find some links to free software that enables opening, printing and editing. Some have a limited or even no saving option. Hence the often used "viewer" designation.

Any 3d software should do the job as well. I recommend "Rhinoceros" with which I drew the plan.

There are also 2D programs that read dwg and dxf files: Macromedia Freehand and Adobe Illustrator.

Here you can fully edit the file...

Just added a PDF. it is the 1/48 plan scaled to 1/10 - 10% of the original size. Big enough to look at. If you want to print out parts or the even whole plan (you'd need a plotter for that as the plan is about 7 meter long) scale the document by 10 in your printing options. I am not sure how the scaling will affect the proportions...

as far as i am concerned the problem is that there is no 2D program that can create a 700cm long/wide document. Scaling is the only option when printing/viewing a PDF format. It is just not made for layouts that BIG.

hope that helps...

don't hesitate to ask for more help/assistance!

regards

Martin

hope that helps...

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Martin, you say they are 1/48 so if I want them 1/32 I'll need to increase the copy size?

RG

I have added a 1/32 PDF 10% file.

updated 1/48 PDF 10% file.

lineweight issue solved. fillet issue remains...

I printed with illustrator. Print is ok but fillets look weird. I printed directly from a CAD program (Rhino) and fillets were correct.

I'll try to solve that issue soon.

One JDB segment is 14ft tall (5ft11inchwide). that equals 8,9 cm in 1/48. A good reference point for corrections.

regards

Martin

Martin

Really great work!

I have just spotted one error, don't know if you're already aware of.

The JBD of Cat 4 consists of only 4 segments instead of 6 as the Cat 1 - 3.

Might be that this is just true for the Roosevelt-class carriers...

Regards,

Greg

Edited by aviationpic
Martin

Really great work!

I have just spotted one error, don't know if you're already aware of.

The JBD of Cat 4 consists of only 4 segments instead of 6 as the Cat 1 - 3.

Might be that this is just true for the Roosevelt-class carriers...

Regards,

Greg

Hi greg,

please tell me what exact file you are referring to and I'll have a look. I just checked the dwg file and all segments are there.

thx for checking... &

regards

martin

Dear ARCers,

Please do not hesitate to post your questions here rather that sending PMs!

That certainly does not mean you are not welcomed to send me PMs... :thumbsup:

The benefit would be that others read through the posts and maybe find the solution for the very same issue you had.

thx and keep posting questions, criticism and corrections.... photos as additional reference is specificly appreciated!

regards :)

Martin

I can't view the files but from the comment made about cat fours JBD only have four segments that is correct, all other cats had six and they operated in pairs.

Reddog :salute:

BTW, if you have any question you can ask me, I did two cruises on the Nimitz in the 80's, one on the Stennis in 98 and one on the Ike in 2000, plus a couple on the Saratoga also.

I can't view the files but from the comment made about cat fours JBD only have four segments that is correct, all other cats had six and they operated in pairs.

Reddog :cheers:

BTW, if you have any question you can ask me, I did two cruises on the Nimitz in the 80's, one on the Stennis in 98 and one on the Ike in 2000, plus a couple on the Saratoga also.

Thx for paying this thread a visit Reddog!

At the end of the day you are the expert. If you download Acrobat Reader you can view the files that end with .pdf - it's free software. You'' find it here:

http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/

It is meant to be user friendly and should work well for you. Cat 4 only 4 segments - noted, right. operating in pairs - that regards the hydrolic system, right?

I'll center the four segments along the cat4's axis when I do the correction...

Will also add new reference images soon. Mike alias mgrandison, graphic-maestro, will provide me with some textures so I can start rendering.

Drop in and drop lines from time to time Reddog! You are very welcomed!

I'll nail you with questions soon :blink: !

RG martin

:D

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, new here.

Been browsing a while and just come across this older thread. Am thinking of doing a display using a deck as a base for an F-18F on USS Harry S Truman.

I can open dwg files and pdf files. However, cannot see the link - it does not seem to be working.

Please advise where I can download the files mentioned.

Thanks

SLoB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having recently aquired a few Navy jets, I am planning a similar diorama myself with a few of my models. Unfortunately the link is no longer valid. I would love to see the plans since I have been having diffiuclty gathering information on some of the details about carrier decks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just stumbeled across this thread (still don´t know why I did not find this a lot earlier) and experienced the same problem as mentioned before: an unvalid link

can someone help me out here? There seem to be no recent posts by designfriemel, but maybe someone else can help an re-share this data?

This would be so great for the Abe-Diorame I am working on.

Daniel

Dear ARC-members,

sorry for the dead link. I had a broken laptop, system restore, now W7 install.

The account @ 4shared was deleted.

here is the new one: http://www.4shared.com/dir/vC-7XKXl/sharing.html

It contains all files previously uploaded.

No progress on the plan itself though. I am busy with other stuff:

missileturret.jpg

No 1/72 plan so far. You can downscale yourself or bug me in the coming weeks which is ok with me. As long as files are downloaded or more stuff is uploaded the account should not be deleted.

sorry for the interruption... but hey, it's freeware.

don't hesitate with critique/requests/corrections

regards

Mart