Proper modex number location

I guess putting decals on correctly is a pet peave of mine, and as of late, I've seen a lot of tomcat models with the modex numbers being placed too high up and at slight angle on the nose.

Typically, the side numbers (modex) are placed closer to the slime light with the last digit of the number being aligned with the light on the port side, and the first digit on the starboard side.

Here's an example.

1051.jpg

1053.jpg

Here, VF-143 made the exception and placed theirs slightly fwd of the slime lights on both sides, mainly due to the size and font they used for the numbers.

00184.jpg

VF-31 and NAWCD are pretty much the only 2 F-14 squadrons I've seen with modexes placed up high and at a slightly downward angle. I'm sure there are more examples from other squadrons, but this is the best I could do for now.

Here's an example of Tomcatter 110 from OEF:

Tomcatter 110

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this tip on for your next tomcat project.

Edited by VFA-103guy

And as the markings usually consisted of a guy, some tape and paint they can vary placement quite a bit. Jets in the same squadron often have them placed differently. One thing we work very hard on our profiles is to show the correct placement for that jet at that particular time. One of the reasons we try to include both side profiles on instructions. Often the difference in placement between the left and right can be pretty big.

-brian

And as the markings usually consisted of a guy, some tape and paint they can vary placement quite a bit. Jets in the same squadron often have them placed differently.

Often the difference in placement between the left and right can be pretty big.

-brian

Exactly!!

The only thing use to line up the markings were the Mk 1 Mod 0 Eyeball, which had not be calabrated for a while.

Point is, placement of modexs (and other markings) varied, even within the same squadron.

Reddog :salute:

Exactly!!

The only thing use to line up the markings were the Mk 1 Mod 0 Eyeball, which had not be calabrated for a while.

Point is, placement of modexs (and other markings) varied, even within the same squadron.

Reddog :thumbsup:

True!

The whole point of this thread was to basically show how the side numbers are typically placed.

Bottom line, if the squadron has a good CC shop, chances are the markings will be applied straight and level.

Also, as Brian stated, there will be variations among different jets in the squadron, pending on who painted it.

One of the first things we look at is where the front point of the number falls on the front panel line of the av bay, and how it lines up to the formation light. The slant can also vary from 7.5' to 18', the edges of the numbers have a multitude of variations from Long Beach Navy standard to Amarillo, with the corners being long or short angles, the thickness of the legs being thin or wide, the spacing varying from none to 1.5 widths, etc....

What looks 'normal' at first glance can be a whole lot of detail points :thumbsup:

-brian