After the loss of a few in progress models yesterday..I decided to start a new one for this groupbuild. It is going to be the 2003 433SQN Demo aircraft. I will be suing the Hasegawa model with the Leading Edge decals. pictures to follow in a couple fo days.

Sean

After the loss of a few in progress models yesterday..I decided to start a new one for this groupbuild.

Sean

Sean:

Ouch! I hope everything is ok and there weren't severe external forces that caused the loss and required a restart of a different project.

Mike

Sean:

Ouch! I hope everything is ok and there weren't severe external forces that caused the loss and required a restart of a different project.

Mike

basically I broke one and I lost a bunch of pieces for the other..and rather than work on them when mad..i put them away.

work is coming along with this one. the major assemblies are together and the gear is mostly done. I should be painting the cockpit and primng it soon.

I have had a last minute commission build pop up and I have to get it done in 3 weeks so most pf my projects will be on hold till that is done.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the decaling is moving right along. I am having a few issues with the decals shattering on the backing paper or cracking once on the model but nothing that I haven't been able to piece back together. have to say, this is a VERY hard scheme to decal!

an update is a few days away as it is taking me longer than expected to decal, and I am going to be busy at work with all the hub-ub over Canada day(snowbirds and etc.)

Sean

I have heard that about leading edge decals and that its best to clear coat them before use.

+1...for Dave's older stuff.

The newer stuff is quite good, except for the silver decals for the Golden Centennaire I just finished. There were no problems with the mail markings but the silver decals to be used on the leading edges of the wings and horizontal stabs would not stick. It's like there was no glue on them. I ended up painting the silver on instead. I used a set of Dave's most recent CF-18 Balkan Rats / Standar Markings and they were flawless. Still never a bad idea to coat them though. I use Microscale Liquid Decal Film. Great stuff. FWIW...

• 2 weeks later...

things have been REALLY busy with Geneseo, work and Oshkosh soon...so I haven't gotten as much done as I would have liked. I have got the model ready for flat coat....and I am working on the smaller bits; wheels, antennea, etc, etc; so there isn't much left to do with this one.

Sean

• 4 weeks later...

well...its been nearly a month and I have been SLOWLY doing a few things on this model. I have gotten most of the item glued on..and I only have a small list of things left to do:

-paint the tail hook and missle rails

-install cockpit HUD and seat

-install canopies

-flat coat

I should have some pictures up soon.

Sean

Looking good Sean,

Its amazing you think once the decaling is done you are nearly finished..... then you look at all the little things you still have left and ... arghhhhh!

Keep on going its going to look stunning!

Julien

Looking good Sean,

Its amazing you think once the decaling is done you are nearly finished..... then you look at all the little things you still have left and ... arghhhhh!

Julien

Julien..It is funny that you say that. since the last post I have picked at thsi model at least once every day and I still haven't ogtten to the bang seat!!!! I keep finding other little things I missed or forgot about tht needed to be done.

I am 99% sure that all i have left to do is the seat..and I am about 50% done that. Expect to see this ACTUALLY finished by Tues or Wed next week

Sean

That has to be one of my top-5 "best Hornet schemes of all time" choices!

Thoughts on the decal set? Would you recommend them, or pass on them?

I know.. i was lucky enough to get to sit in the cockpit of that aircraft back in 03 when it was in this scheme while I was at CFB Baggotville with cadets. It was an awesome moment.

as for the decals...like all LED, the older ones can be a bit brittle and like to shatter...but otherwise the quality is absolutely amazing. I HIGHLY recommend them!!!!

Sean