Converting Academy "Bombcat" to F-14D

I have just begun work on the Academy F-14A conversion to a F-14D. This conversion, just like with the F-14B conversion, will be done without resin and by using parts from some other kits. The conversion has to be done with the "Bombcat" boxing of the Academy kit, as the older boxing does not have many of the updates needed.

First off.....the pilot's instrument panel.

F14D_frontip.jpg

The front IP of the F-14D varies quite a bit from other versions. First and foremost is the MFDs are next to each other instead of vertical. This panel came from Revell's new F-14B box. I found the part number and ordered one up....and they didn't charge me for it!

The finished panel....

F14D_frontip_finished.jpg

Next up......the RIO's instrument panel

Edited by paul.nortness

Here is the RIO instrument panel.....

F14D_RIOip.jpg

This panel is going to need some work and some scratch building. The F-14D RIO station is very different as well. The reference photos I have found seem to indicate that the center console is round on the F-14D. The kit version of the round screen just seemed a tad bit under sized compared to the pics so I grinded it off in an attempt to make my own. I shaved off all the detail on the right side and the center. I carefully extracted the screen from the right bottom using a razor saw. Then, I notched the top section to accommodate the new screen.

F14D_RIOip_finished.jpg

Here is the finished RIO panel. The Navigation Control Panel was made by recycling pieces from the unused front IP. The top MFD is the same one I shaved off with the razor saw. I made the large circular Tact Info Display with a hole punch and a cottage cheese lid, same thing for the MFD on the right side.

F14D_RIOip_comp.jpg

Here is a comparison of the original panel and the new "D" panel.

Got some work done today....

Here is the pilot's cockpit all finished

F14D_frontip_installed.jpg

The throttle came from a R/M F/A-18C kit that had seen better days

And the RIO's....

F14D_RIO_installed.jpg

The LANTIRN stick on the RIO's left is from the same F/A-18C kit, I cut the flight stick in half and mounted it onto the panel.

And finally......

F14D_fuselage1.jpg

One thing I didn't touch on is the seats. The F-14D does have different seats than what is in the box. The F-14D uses the NACES seats. These can be found in the R/M F-14D boxing. I posted an ad in the marketplace and our resident Tomcat fan from the south, Lock N Load helped out. You can find these seats pretty easily as they R/M and Hasegawa F-14Ds have them....look around and see if you can do some trading.

Edited by paul.nortness
  • 3 weeks later...

OK.....time to tackle those engine fairings.

F14D_GE1.jpg

Uh oh! This won't work....since the Bombcat boxing is a F-14A, it has the rounded fairings for the Pratt and Whitney. What to do!

F14D_GE2.jpg

Get some tape out, that's what!

F14D_GE3.jpg

Then slather on your favorite putty....I like Squadron Green

F14D_GE4.jpg

Remove tape.....

F14D_GE5.jpg

Sand and smooth....

F14D_GE6.jpg

And presto! That nice square fairing profile that the F-14D uses with it's GE engines.

Coming up next.....GE Engine nozzles

Edited by paul.nortness

Now that the GE fairings are done, time for the GE engine nozzles.

For the GE engine nozzles, I used the parts from the R/M F-14A. When they "retooled" the kit to make it a F-14D, they simply added some sprues with stuff like GE engines, NACA gunvents, and NACES seats. The sprue with the GE engine nozzles found it's way into the F-14A boxing. While you could just use the parts on that sprue, I went a step further. When I ordered my instrument panel from Revell, I also ordered 2 other parts from the F-14D kit (Kit #4729). Part number 103 Tail Cone is what you want. Alternatively, you can use the cans that come in the Academy box, you just need to grind a little from the inside to make the nozzle fit.

F14D_GE7.jpg

Here are the parts you need for the GE engines. If you are just using the sprue from the F-14A kit, you would just have the engine exhaust petals. If you don't have the tail cones from the R/M F-14D, you can use the Academy tail cones as well...it just takes a little work (not much though)...about 3 minutes with the rotary tool should make it a nice clean fit.

F14D_GE8.jpg

A dry fit of the Tail Cone reveals a problem. There is a lip on the piece that sticks out.

F14D_GE9.jpg

Never fear! Rotary Tool is here! I trimmed off the lip with my sprue cutters, then grinded it smooth with the rotary tool. Pretty easy....took about 3 minutes.

F14D_GE10.jpg

After that, it is just a matter of attaching the petals to the cone. If you are just using the petals, it is better to put the petals together so they make a ring. They won't fit quite right if you glue the petals stright to the inside of the fairing. When complete, you should have a couple of nice looking GE engine nozzles. These will later be painted and decaled with Fightertown's data sheet.

F14D_GE11.jpg

SUCCESS! A perfect fit. Total cost of the upgrade - 2.95 for shipping from Revell for the two tail cones.

The best thing about using the GE parts from the R/M F-14A is it frees up the much nicer Academy Pratt and Whitney nozzles. The Academy F-14A includes two open and two closed P&W engine nozzles that you can use to replace the crappy nozzles in the R/A F-14A.

Edited by paul.nortness

There is another useful part located on the left over "D" sprue located in the R/M F-14A. That part is the dual chinpod that is unique to the F-14D.

F14D_chinpod.jpg

F14D_chinpod1.jpg

Here it is mounted onto the nose. It looks a tad bit too large. That is because of the shortened nose of the Academy kit. It can be fixed, but as this project is 100% resin free....we aren't going to worry about it.

F14D_assembly.jpg

Finally, here is the completed fuselage awaiting a coat of Tamiya Surface Primer. I use the grey as it is a near match for Light Ghost Grey. I am still debating on the hi viz 100, or either the lo viz 104 or 106

This of course has an another advantage...just as using the GE engine nozzles. Using the dual chinpod from the R/M kit frees up the TCS chinpod from the Academy for use on the R/M

Edited by paul.nortness

Hey Paul!

On the engines, if they are going to be GE-110, you need to fill up those squared ''thingies'' behind the engine nozzles, don't know what that section is called, but the Carbon Fiber ones in the Bravo and Delta don't have the ''thingies'' like the A did.

Hey Paul!

On the engines, if they are going to be GE-110, you need to fill up those squared ''thingies'' behind the engine nozzles, don't know what that section is called, but the Carbon Fiber ones in the Bravo and Delta don't have the ''thingies'' like the A did.

I was going to say the same thing. You beat me to it! The "panel lines", for lack of a better term, need to be filled in and sanded on both the top and bottom of the engine shrouds. The great part about that is the carbon fiber is a grayish-black color, so no working with natural metal except on the exhausts.

I believe they are talking about the banana link panels just forward of the turkey feathers, on the B/D they are forward of the engine shroud. You need to fill the panel lines that are just forward of the turkey feathers, they are for the A.

HTH

Reddog :D

The turkey feathers are what we (maintainers) called the nozzles and the banana link panels are the square panels just forward of the nozzles. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. Those square panels just forward of the nozzles need to be filled in.

Reddog :cheers:

I'm not sure I follow....do you have example pics?

Here's a pic of my engine fairings in progress. Note the lack of panel lines where the nozzle attaches to the shroud (carbon black). The ring at the end should also be painted steel/silver, which I have yet to do in this pic.

Fuselage50.jpg

Unfortunately, I had already airbrushed by the time I got info about the "banana peels".

But, I don't think it takes that much away from the finished product. I will make sure to remember that for future builds

F14D_1.jpg

F14D_2.jpg

F14D_3.jpg

F14D_4.jpg

F14D_5.jpg

F14D_6.jpg

F14D_7.jpg

F14D_8.jpg

F14D_9.jpg

F14D_10.jpg

Edited by paul.nortness