Yak-18 in 1/32nd - Trumpeter

I really like your shading work (especially on the green), it look so subtle and it gives waaay better effect than black preshading imho. and your controll with airbrush is fantastic. :monkeydance: I can't achive so sharp airbrushing...

Hey, guys. I really appreciate the good notes you leave at this my first in-progress here in ARC (or anywhere else for the matter!) . This is something I didn't expect and it really encourages us newbies to not only keep on with the job but also to feel like doing it again! hehe. Thanks everyone!

Well, time for another update and here's the soviet trainer finally under a coat of glossy Future and with all 10 decals applied. I used markings from the kit and they went on nice and smooth and reacted well to DecalSet solution with no apparent silvering. One of the red stars was missing a spot of color even thou its clear carrier was complete so I used it for the under side and hopefully I will figure how to mask and paint the missing area. Next day I sealed them with another light coat of future and once it was dry I masked and painted the walkways, using Floquil's Grimy Black. Then I thinned some light gray and went again over the walkways just to fade them a little bit as if they were not freshly painted. The effect worked just fine, I believe. Anyway, after that I gave a Burnt Amber and Turpenoid wash to raised and recessed rivets and panel lines to bring them up.

IMG_7396.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7460.jpg

IMG_7399.jpg

For some weathering I mixed Floquil Grimy Black and Red Brown and thinned it really well to airbrush the exhaust stains and some oil streaks at the root of the wings. I then thinned a drop of Floquil Concrete color which is actually some sort of light tan and carefully airbrushed the inner area of the darker exhaust stains, trying to fade it away as I moved aft the exhaust pipes. Once the job was complete it came the flat finish with Testors Dullcote, my favorite!

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_7495.jpg

I am all excited of the latest progress and now I can almost taste the feeling of a finished job thou I still need to work on landing gear, prop and other details. Meanwhile I want to thank you all again for following up with this project and of course for your comments.

FAB

What a wonderful build!

Perfectly mastered and subtle.

I almost bought that kit a few months ago, I had heard good things about it and it's inexpensive.

Your great work convinced me to do so.

Hi FAB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your progress here. I am thoroughly enjoying watching this one come together.

Your recent progress is marvellous. The wash really makes all of the detail pop out on the fuselage yet the effect still remains balanced with the wings and tailplane. I'm most impressed by the weathering so far. The fading of the walkways and the exhaust staining is expertly done.

Just thinking outloud now but I wonder if the markings would show any variation in colour over the ribbing in the same way that the cammo does? Perhaps that is a challenge for another build?

The missing colour in the decals is curious. Could you use a small brush to touch in the lost red portion?

Lastly I'd like to add how pleasant it is to look at your images. They are beautifully lit and allow the viewer to soak up every detail. :jaw-dropping:

Great stuff. I'm already looking forward to more.

:cheers:

Looking awesome Fabster!! You nailed the rib effect! This is going to be one of the most beautiful and unusual builds here in this forum. The exhaust staining is awesome. I cant believe that that was done with an airbrush, oh wait, yes I can! Take care, talk to ya soon,

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

Hi FAB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your progress here. I am thoroughly enjoying watching this one come together.

Your recent progress is marvellous. The wash really makes all of the detail pop out on the fuselage yet the effect still remains balanced with the wings and tailplane. I'm most impressed by the weathering so far. The fading of the walkways and the exhaust staining is expertly done.

Just thinking outloud now but I wonder if the markings would show any variation in colour over the ribbing in the same way that the cammo does? Perhaps that is a challenge for another build?

The missing colour in the decals is curious. Could you use a small brush to touch in the lost red portion?

Lastly I'd like to add how pleasant it is to look at your images. They are beautifully lit and allow the viewer to soak up every detail. :monkeydance:

Great stuff. I'm already looking forward to more.

:cheers:

Hi there, Geedubelyer

I really appreaciate your kind words about my work and photography. I have given more that one thought to that "issue" with the markings but to be honest with you I just can think of how I could make them look faded in the high points and darker on the lower without ruining them or the green paint below... :whistle: I may give it a try with pastels instead of airbrushing paint so in case I mess it up I may be able to revert it to the previous state! What would you suggest I could do?

As for the missing spot of color in the decal I am thinking of masking that starpoint off with Post-It's and airbrush white, then do it with red and finally recreate the very fine red edge with a thin stripe of red decal or something like that... We'll see!

Hello Fabster..

Comng along and it is a treat to watch a "fresh faced" modeld being built.....

.......I am not thwarted by all the technical data and can enjoy your build as you write it !!

Thank you..

HOLMES :) :whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

Well, I put some time on this one over last weekend and I am happy to report I have finally finished it! :coolio:

Thanks a lot all of you who followed this WIP and specially to those who took the time to post their comments, suggestions and words of encouragement! :explode:

All in all I really enjoyed this project very much especially because I totally didnt expect the kit to be this nice, so very well detailed and with no fitting problems. I just avoided using the PE part for the mobile surfaces and only because I wanted them to be in a fixed position anyway but it is also nice to have this option if one prefers to do so.

And here are some pictures of the finished model for your review. THANKS AGAIN!

FAB

1IMG_7682.jpg

4IMG_7693.jpg

9IMG_7728.jpg

3IMG_7692.jpg

6IMG_7700.jpg

7IMG_7718.jpg

8IMG_7723.jpg

• 3 years later...

Beautiful work!

I have seen build articles on maybe three or four others on the 'net and this is by far the best of the best.

One thing I have noted is that ALL the builders missed the bracing stay that runs from the vertical fin to the top of the horizontal stab, so did Trumpeter it seems!

It is sometimes hard to see in photos, but you'd think the kit maker would have got it right, not even the box art shows it though!

I recently acquired two of these kits, I only hope I can do half as well as this one was done.

JK :thumbsup: