1/48 Classic Airframes RAAF F.8 'Meteorites' Meteor

Having all good intentions of getting into this GB, I have been delayed as I have to scratch build a rear armour plate behind the seat as upon opening the kit the piece (R4) was missing from the sealed resin bag. I now have a template to go buy so hopefully within the next couple of days I'll have some progress shots. The pic below is how I'm hoping it will look like when finished.

GC_2A77_870.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Hi Julien,

I am using the Red Roo 1/48 sheet which is produced locally here in the land of Oz. I might get my act together tonight and actually do some work on the armour plate. Unfortunately, the Minister for War & Finance has had me doing house related tasks the past two days.

Regards

Andrew

Not much of an update really but I have made the rear bulkhead armour plate from some plastic card which looks okay. It was then all painted athracite grey with the dials and instruments picked up with matt black. I have also picked up the lines in chrome and dry brushed the lot with metallic grey before high-lighting the red and yellow colour parts. I have also given the dials a drop of clear to make it appear like glass. Tomorrow I'll finish the seat belts and glue it all together so that I can get onto the fuselage etc.

Regards

Andrew :D

DSC02926.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

Having built the CA 1/48 Canberra and having problems with it, I thought I'd have the same issues with this but so far everything has fallen into place and it has gone together extremely well with very few gaps or steps. So far the cockpit and front U/C is in and the wing centre section is attached. Hope you like my progress.

Regards

Andrew

DSC02929.jpg

DSC02930.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

These last shots show how well the wings fit to the fuselage. Very impressed!

After having removed the tape I was happy with the outcome. Only a couple of spots that need putty. The intakes were a different story. As you will see in the pics there is a fair gap between the wing and back of the intake but its not a big deal, same with the small gaps at the wing root and engine roots. Atleast it now looks like a Meteor. Any comments welcome.

Regards

Andrew :cheers:

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

Well tonight I got her up on her legs with a little bit of fighting. The tyres are drying and the blue has been through the paint shop twice as I wasn't happy with the first go. Here's how she stands ready for the aluminium tomorrow. Comments welcome.

Regards

Andrew :wub:

GC_2A77_870.jpg

DSC02991.jpg

DSC02992.jpg

DSC02993.jpg

Cheers Mick :thumbsup:

The Red Roo decals are now on with some of the kit decals applicable to RAAF aircraft. I just have to seal them, give the aircraft a wash and she's done, basically. I'm still awaiting an ADF fairing to go on the rear fuselage from Red Roo. Here's some pics of the decals, which went down amazingly well.

DSC02998.jpg

DSC02999.jpg

DSC03000.jpg

DSC03001.jpg

regards

Andrew :cop:

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Cheers Luke :cheers:

I was going to do your stock standard Korean War Meteor but given this one returned from Korea and went to an aerobatic team, how could I resist the temptation especially with those beautiful decals. Now I'm looking for a decent 1/48 two seat Vampire to do as a RAAF Telstars aerobatic aircraft.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Looking good Andrew!

Pity you cant get it over to the UK. The IPMS(UK) Aerobatic Special Interest Group (which I am a member of) is having Australasian teams as it theme this year.

I have to build this one in 1.72. Hoping to do a Marksman Sabre & a Red Diamonds one as well.

Now a question for you, did the Meteroites Meteor ever have roundels with kangaroos in them? or were they always standard ones. The decals from Hannants claim you can use roo ones and quote an IPMS Austrailia reference which I have never been able to trace.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)

Hi Julien,

The RAAFs Meteors did wear kangaroos for a short period of time but never the Meteorites. After 1956, I believe the RAAF started moving towards the roo on the fuselage of all its aircraft. The Meteorites only flew for a few months after September 1955. The 'checker tails' (green and white)of 77 Squadron had roos applied at some stage possibly late 1957.

Let me know if you need any info on the 'Marksmen' or 'Black diamonds'. Know nothing of the red diamonds???. Also, the CAC Sabre was very different to the F86 Sabre. Let me know if you need a kit and I will point you in the right direction as a couple of local companies do them here.

Regards

Andrew :thumbsup:

Just finished (except for the ADF fairing I am awaiting),

This is the 1/48 Classic Airframes F.8 Meteor. This model represents RAAF Meteor A77-870 (ex RAF WK748). This aircraft was received by 91 Wing (RAAF) in Japan on 20/1/53. No. 91 Wing maintained the Meteors and 'loaned' them to 77 Squadron for operations in Korea. in November 1954 the a/c was shipped back to Australia aboard HMAS Vengeance and received @ 2 Aircraft Depot (Richmond NSW) 10/12/54 where it was re-assembled and air tested. It was held in storage until transferred to 78 Wing 15/10/55 where it was operated by 75 Squadron as part of the 'Meteorites' the RAAF's first official aerobatic team. In December 1957 it was converted to an instructional airframe and stored until 17/10/1972 when it was shipped to the RAAF Museum at Point Cook, Victoria (the oldest serving air force base in the world) and restored back to its 'Meteorites' markings still carrying the name of its pilot, Flight Sergeant O.R.F. Bartrop.

I hope you like it.

Regards

Andrew :(

DSC03002.jpg

DSC03004.jpg

DSC03005.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

Hi Julien,

The RAAFs Meteors did wear kangaroos for a short period of time but never the Meteorites. After 1956, I believe the RAAF started moving towards the roo on the fuselage of all its aircraft. The Meteorites only flew for a few months after September 1955. The 'checker tails' (green and white)of 77 Squadron had roos applied at some stage possibly late 1957.

Let me know if you need any info on the 'Marksmen' or 'Black diamonds'. Know nothing of the red diamonds???. Also, the CAC Sabre was very different to the F86 Sabre. Let me know if you need a kit and I will point you in the right direction as a couple of local companies do them here.

Regards

Andrew :bandhead2:

Cheers,

I did think that about the Meteorites.

I have 3 of the tasman kits for the sabres, the new MOdel alliance sheet for the Red Diamonds and the old Tasman sheet for the Marksmen.

See here for details of the Red Diamonds http://aerobaticteams.net/Australian_Past_Teams.html

Julien

Ah, that Red Diamonds! Prefer the look of the Black Pathers instead. I don't think they (Red Diamonds) stayed like that long. Most of the restored Sabres on display in Oz either are plain or have either the Black Pather or Black Diamond schemes.

Regards

Andrew

Well I'll be! There's a picture of a 'Meteorite' Meteor with a roo on it. I've never seen that before.

regards

Andrew

:D :D :woo:

I missed that the first time! :doh:

Now I know how I am going to do my model!

Julien