F-4 with PAVE TACK installed

So I have the Flightpath PAVE TACK pod and want to put it on a Clark AB F-4E. I am wondering where can I/ or what would be a good piece to use so I install a cone on the front of the pod, becasue the FP pod is cut flat in the front and designed for the F-111F kits. Also anyone know if a load for a Clark jet with 4 AIM-9's, 3 AIM-7's, ALQ-184, and 4 GBU-12's loaded on TER's was a realistic load. I have seen photos of Clark jets with AIM-9's and a special adapter with empty TER's on the pylon. What color would the PAVE TACK pod been on the F-4?

Those photos are of test, not operational, jets. I'm pretty sure that on operational jets the pods were OD. RF-4Cs at Alconbury had them for a while. I'll try to remember to look this weekend to see if I can find a photo or two.

The pods were painted about the time the jets went from Euro 1 to Hill, so they can either be OD or gunship gray. The load you describe sounds a bit heavy to me for a Clark jet. Remember, they never saw combat with the Pave Tack pods, so they generally lugged blue weapons around while at home. Mount the GBU-12s on the TER shoulders.

The extra pod on the Eglin jets is a telemetry pod.

ModernPhantomGuide_126-127.jpg

I don't think the GBU-12 would be correct for that period, I think a GBU-10 or 16 would be preferred.

I don't think the GBU-12 came into use untill the 1990's or later.

Curt

THOSE ARE OUTSTANDING PICKS! NOT ONLY A BETTER SHOT OF THE CONE BUT I ALSO SEE THE MOUNTING AND POSITIONING OF THE POD. ANY CLOSE UPS OF A F-111? THANKS.

f1117jr_3.jpg

Net Photo (Jim Rotramel)

I used one of these, but fitted to the F-15D that acted as the F-15E proof of concept.

I just looked through the spares box untill I found an appropriate drop tank and used the nose of that;

F15-5.jpg

F15-2.jpg

Buy the way that pod is really heavy being whitemental and resin, it fell off the first time I gluded it on, I had to use 2 part epoxy in the end.

Julien

I don't think the GBU-12 would be correct for that period, I think a GBU-10 or 16 would be preferred.

I don't think the GBU-12 came into use untill the 1990's or later.

Curt

PAVE Way I 500-lb LGBs were used during the Vietnam War (the GBU designations weren't applied until 1973, after the war was over) by both the USAF and USN (A-4E, A-7E, F-4D/J--no, that's not a typo, and B-57G come to mind off the top of my head). The Paveway II LGBs with pop out fins were developed beginning in 1973, but didn't come into widespread use until the mid to late 70s. Paveway II GBU-12s shoulder-mounted on TERs from the inboard wing stations are an excellent choice for a PAVE Tack F-4E.

500-lb PAVE Way I LGB under the wing of a B-57G

Untitled1.png

The USAF never used GBU-16s. They gave up their stocks of Mk 83s to the Navy shortly after the end of the Vietnam War and didn't get back into the 1,000-lb bomb business again until the F-22 with the GBU-32(V)1/B JDAM.

I have a Osan SEA scheme F-4E saved and it is loaded with 4 GBU-12's and the PAVE Spike Pod, but it does not have the adapter like the Clark Jets had so the Osan jet could not carry any AIM-9's with this load. Thanks for all the updates here. Maybe a F-4 wing tank will be good for the nose cone on the PT pod?