Visiting the AF Museum; Before or After the convention

We'll probably stop in on Sunday on our way home. It's sort of tradition to pay a visit to the Museum when we go to Nats (if we can work it in.) We're also planning to visit the MAPS Air Museum in Akron before the show.

SN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I took my son today to the Museum today for his 3rd birthday and I noticed the museum has Podcast markers throughout the museum. I don't own one nor a clue how to use one, but I know many of you going to visit during the Nationals may.

Not too sure either what is included on the Podcasts.

They had the F-100F pulled out in the middle of the hangar and you could walk and crawl all around it. They also had one of the hangar doors open. Don't know why. They were in the process of putting up the aluminum guard rails around the aircraft.

Didn't notice too much else there that was new since the last time I was there.

Were they just installing guardrails around the F-100, or replacing all the existing barricades?

SN

I wasn't sure what they were doing. It was hooked up to a tug and sitting in the middle of the hangar between the Vietnam era and the Korean War area. The place where it sat was getting the guard rails but they were doing the same exact thing to other aircraft and not moving them. There wasn't anything visibly wrong with the F-100. Maybe they are just reorganizing the 'shelf space' around.

You'll find out in a month or so.

Jason

I have a feeling we will spend most, if not all of Thursday there. That way, we can have Thursday evening (or Friday) through Saturday at Nats.

If we run out of time we might stop back by some other day.

It is about a 12-hour drive back to Tulsa for us, so stopping by on Sunday isn't an option.

JED

For those that have not attended a Nats, I'll offer these observations which might help you decide when to go to the AF museum without missing much of the convention.

The Vendor rooms are very busy the first day as folks try to get one of a kind items........some vendors put stuff on sale on the last day trying to clear stock....not all vendors do this. And by the end of the show, the selection of products has been picked over pretty good, but there is still plenty to buy.

For the contest tables......the best time to see the most models is towards the end of the show.......on the first 2 days there are not a lot of models as many people haven't arrived.

Also there are seminars throughout the nats, so make sure you don't miss the ones that interest you.

I wasn't sure what they were doing. It was hooked up to a tug and sitting in the middle of the hangar between the Vietnam era and the Korean War area.

I'm surprised they'd put something on permanent display in that area..they usually keep it open for various ceremonies, banquets, and other special events. Seems like every other time I visit the museum they've got chairs and a stage set up in that area.

The place where it sat was getting the guard rails but they were doing the same exact thing to other aircraft and not moving them. There wasn't anything visibly wrong with the F-100. Maybe they are just reorganizing the 'shelf space' around.

I think they were planning to eventually move the C-141 "Hanoi Taxi" into the Viet Nam area..maybe that's what they're working on. It would sure be nice to see her indoors out of the weather.

What do the new barriers look like? Will they interfere with photography?

SN

Another bit of advice. When you get to the Museum DO NOT try to stop and read every little display. My cousin did that an by the time the museum closed at 5pm he was only to Korea. We got there right when they opened at 0900.

My advice is to get there and walk through from begining to end quickly. Then go back to the begining as you will notice something new the second time around.

The other thing you can do is go right to the back of the museum and work your way to the front.

Jason

I have been to the museum four times in the last five years with the last visit one week ago, July 10th. My advice is go through and take the pictures of the planes that you want to really see and then go back to read the plaques and displays. It takes a long time to get through and you should go to the Presidential and R&D hangars if you have the opportunity.