What is heck is "dope"?

Hello guys. I bought a "proudly made in America" balsa model on my trip to Oregon, just because I've only ever seen something like it when I was, like 5 years old or something, back in Asia. Anyway, the instructions say to wipe the tissue paper skin with "dope". I have no idea what dope is. Can anyone help me? And does tissue paper mean what I think it means? :wacko:

The tissue paper used resembles crepe paper in a way. The butyrate "dope" is a penetrating, volatile glue. Brush the dope on the completed framework, carefully drape the tissue over it smoothly, and brush or spray thinned dope on the tissue. Becomes very strong when dry.

"Balsa Flies Better!" as the Guillow's ad says.......

The tissue paper used resembles crepe paper in a way. The butyrate "dope" is a penetrating, volatile glue. Brush the dope on the completed framework, carefully drape the tissue over it smoothly, and brush or spray thinned dope on the tissue. Becomes very strong when dry.

Also: ensure adequate ventilation while using, or pay the price. Isn't called 'dope' for nothing :worship:

(Cellulose) dope can, and does, shrink the tissue as it dries. It is, or was, possible to get tissue paste for attaching the paper, and, when that's dried, it pays to lightly spray water over the tissue. This has the effect of slightly shrinking it, without any detrimental effect, giving a nice smooth surface for the dope. I recommend that you pin your flying surfaces to the building board, using scrap balsa to support the leading and trailing edges, after doping, while it dries, otherwise you risk the shrinking action of the dope distorting the framework, wrecking all your hard work.

Edgar

You don't really need to use dope. This Cessna was built and the tissue was applied with regular white glue. The tissue was shrunk and toughened with several coats of thinned Future and then painted with white spray paint.

Cessna.jpg

You might want to go to this website or this one and look around a bit before starting.

Don

FWIW the last rubber powered kit I completed, I fabbed the frame with CA, attached the tissue paper to the frame using an Elmer's "glue stick", and finished

it off with Krylons Clear Gloss Acrylic. The Skyraider came out nice, but nowhere near as nice as Don's Cessna.

My son and I are working on a Guillows Hellcat right now and we're using Elmer's wood glue for the frame. Trying to take my time on this on since we're

doing it together. Might try to finish it off with a coat of paint when we're done.

HTH,

Jim S

You don't really need to use dope. This Cessna was built and the tissue was applied with regular white glue. The tissue was shrunk and toughened with several coats of thinned Future and then painted with white spray paint.

Cessna.jpg

You might want to go to this website or this one and look around a bit before starting.

Don

Hey thanks for the idea. Since I may not be able to get dope in Singapore, I'll just use Future. What did you use to thin it? Water?

Hey thanks for the idea. Since I may not be able to get dope in Singapore, I'll just use Future. What did you use to thin it? Water?

I thinned it about 1:1 with water and airbrushed it, but I don't see why it couldn't be hand brushed. You have to be a little careful with thin parts like the rudder. If you over-do it, the tissue can stick to the tissue on the other side. Each time you spray, the tissue relaxes, but then tightens up again. You might want to make up a dummy rudder or something to practice on. I didn't come up with the idea. I read about it on a website, but unfortunately I can't remember which one.

As another option, you could just spray with an acrylic like Jim S. did

Here are a couple more websites you might want to look at:

http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/

http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/?p_menu=1

Guillows has a forum that's worth a look too.

A little research could save you some headaches.

Good luck with your build.

Don