Three-tone PBY4 cammo

PBY-4s stationed at Phillipines had a three-tone camouflage. What were the colors used? Does anyone have some photos of 'em?

Standard non-specular U.S. Navy colors of the era: Dark Sea Blue (FS35042), Intermediate Sea Blue (FS35164) and Insignia White (FS37875)

WW2-LivioBanda-vp119pb4y_23.jpg

1945_PB4Y-2_Clark.jpg

Restored Example1457282045_a458102d6b_o.jpg

Model w/ extended DSB mottle:

pb4y-2sh_3.jpg

Phil

I think he's talking about early war, when they had a multi-tone camo on top, as seen here in the box art from the Academy kit. UnfortunatelyI don't have this variant, so I'm not sure of the colors. I'll have to dig into my references to see if I have any info.

SN

ACD2136.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
PBY-4s stationed at Phillipines had a three-tone camouflage. What were the colors used? Does anyone have some photos of 'em?

Actually, there were no FS colors in use during WW2, and any FS reference will be only an approximation of the original colors. These were Semi-gloss Sea Blue, Intermediate Blue (not Intermediate Sea Blue--there was no color of that name), and Non-Specular White (different from Insignia White and not as bright). We have all three available in our Colourcoats enamels, matched to the chips from the Monogram volumes, and we ship worldwide.

There's another photo of one of these on PBY.com, in the PBY-4 section under photos. Quite blurred though. I too would like to know what the colors are. Would make a unique model.

Mark

Edited by Mstor

Prolly have to do a little critical thinking and apply the artistic license on this one. Local camouflage. Likely painted at the seabase on the island. Paint stocks on hand would most likely be ship colors. Or whatever the Filipinos were using on their equipment. If I were going to tackle this project I would figure out what colors the USN were painting ships at the time and go with them.

Just my $2.

Ken

Prolly have to do a little critical thinking and apply the artistic license on this one. Local camouflage. Likely painted at the seabase on the island. Paint stocks on hand would most likely be ship colors. Or whatever the Filipinos were using on their equipment. If I were going to tackle this project I would figure out what colors the USN were painting ships at the time and go with them.

Just my $2.

Ken

The Asiatic Fleet was at that time painting its ships in what came to be called "Cavite Blue", using local paint stocks. Anyone wanting to match it needs the Snyder & Short USN Set 1 paint chip set. I can also provide a formula to mix it using our Colourcoats enamels.

FWIW, I looked at the Academy kit box and on the side they have photos of a painted model. It has the dark color as a dark blue-green. The other two are a medium blue-grey and a light blue-grey. Undersides almost white. Cavite blue appears to be a quite dark blue-grey. That might be the dark color(?). The box was sealed, so I didn't get a chance to look at any color callouts.

On the photo I mentioned (on PBY.com) it appears that one can see part of the original peace-time scheme. Notably, the large dark grey panel and the inverted "V" marking on the top, center part of the wing. Hastily applied camo? The insignias also appear to be partially painted over.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have a go at it ;-)

Mark

Just for the record, White Ensign Models paints are THE source when dealing with any color military. They have been extensively researched, by people far more intelligent and with actual paint chips to compare, and they are spot on.

They can be a little difficult to brush paint, but the results are spectacular!

For the record, I do not get fee product, not anything at all from the company, they are just really good products.

For the record, I do not get fee product, not anything at all from the company, they are just really good products.

Ditto.

Just for the record, White Ensign Models paints are THE source when dealing with any color military. They have been extensively researched, by people far more intelligent and with actual paint chips to compare, and they are spot on.

They can be a little difficult to brush paint, but the results are spectacular!

And ditto. Just placed an order a couple hours ago for a ship I'm building and to start phasing out my Model Master RLM colors.I'm sure it'll arrive in the remote wilds of Northern California before the next week is out.

Ken